• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Señor Hugo

Señor Hugo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:04 AM

While checking my daily news stuff, came across this, a very interesting read.

They ask the question, "If You Want to See a Specter Bad Enough, Will You?"

http://www.sciam.com...ers-if-you-want

Most scientists dismiss the vast majority of ghost sightings as hoaxes. But researchers in Canada, England and elsewhere are exploring what happens in the brain to create the illusion that something is "haunted." So far, they have found evidence that some apparitions may be brain benders caused by spiking EMFs (electromagnetic fields), and possibly even extremely low-–frequency sound waves (known as infrasound) so subtle that the ear does not register them as noise.

EMFs emitted by power lines and towers, clock radios and other electrical sources may help debunk myths that people or things are haunted, says Michael Persinger, a neuroscientist at Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, who has conducted research on the topic. One such study, published in 2001 in Perceptual And Motor Skills chronicles the experiences of a teenager who in 1996 claimed to be receiving nocturnal visits—one sexual—from the Holy Spirit. The 17-year-old girl, who had sustained mild brain damage at birth, said she also felt the presence of an invisible baby perched on her left shoulder.

The article runs a good two pages, worth every letter.
"I am the bridge between worlds. I have experienced life, I have experienced death, others and my own. I am a shaman."

#2 wuwei

wuwei

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

While checking my daily news stuff, came across this, a very interesting read.

They ask the question, "If You Want to See a Specter Bad Enough, Will You?"

Persinger's work is well known in parapsychological circles, and there is very strong evidence to support the influence of electromagnetic fields on feelings associated hauntings. I believe that this has been narrowed down to complex magnetic fields. This is why I think it is important to have an EMF detector that picks up possible strong EMF fields from, say, bad wiring. We also use a static EMF detector which has shown good results when spiking in conjunction with other effects (for example recently we had the EMF spike twice to 20 uT, at the time an electronic device failed). A static EMF detector blocks out any man-made electrical fields. But I digress.

In the case of infrasound, there were a couple of articles I am aware of that form the basis of that theory. However, since vibrating a magnet at the same frequency as that associated with infrasound creates a complex magnetic field, there is controversy as to whether the effect is really caused by the magnetic field, and that the infrasound is really just a symptom. In the studies the researchers didn't measure magnetic fields however one felt "strange depressed and had cold shivers" which developed into a feeling of "a sensed presence" and later into a feeling of "being watched and that he was not alone". In the first study, they actually used a fencing foil to measure the frequency of the infrasound, which was found to be originating from a large, faulty electric motor built into an industrial fan. Since there is no known way that infrasound could actually cause any effects in your brain, it was postulated that the infrasound was vibrating the eyeball and causing these effects, which I think is a stretch.

Wuwei

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users