MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:43 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ure/3766863.stm

something I came across about Atlantis. Now, Atlantis as the legendary land may be farse, but it could be very well be a lost civilization that could have been scientifically far ahead of us........ and the other "pagan" societies of that day may have looked UP on them for lots. When Plato came up with the "story" he surely may have ADDED spice so as to propogate his views and appreciation on the Atlanteans!

well.... who are we to say for sure! But surely a good read.
Posted Image

#2 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 09 July 2004 - 12:42 PM

Good read Moon!!!!  I have read many articles offering proof of this lost land called Atlantis, however nothing that is viable to my reasoning, this does not mean Atlantis did not exist, it's hard to believe that a city so advanced really existed at one time.
Posted Image

#3 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 01:29 PM

If Atlantis,as told by Plato, did exist, I doubt it would be found near Spain for it seems too far for Ancient Greeks and other cultures on that side to travel.

#4 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 01:38 PM

Although I doubt whether they were really more advanced( technologically, anyway---they could be more advanced in a sociological way or something.  Sometimes I wonder whether such a linear concept as 'advancement' really applies, as many things are better to have in some situations and worse in others) than our *own* civilization, I would think it possible that a people significantly more advanced than most of the neighboring civilizations could have existed and given rise to such stories.  I had always grown up on the belief that this was the Minoan culture, whose art still provides me with a great deal of inspiration and fascination, but this does sound like an interesting place they've found.  I do remember reading about the Sea People and wondering who they could be to have so overwhelmed their adversaries and yet left little to no trace of their existence.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#5 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 01:46 PM

If Atlantis,as told by Plato, did exist, I doubt it would be found near Spain for it seems too far for Ancient Greeks and other cultures on that side to travel.

Hm...one end of Europe to the other---doesn't really seem THAT far, since it would have to be a place far enough to be visited only rarely and thus acquire a legendary gloss.  Not saying this IS exactly what they suggest, but I wouldn't rule it out on the distance from Greece.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#6 Prometheus

Prometheus

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 02:56 PM

If I am not mistaken,and I may well be,the X on the map for determining a postion for Atlantis is near Thors Twins.I believe that this refers to two stone formations in the entrance to mediterian sea.Recent archeological therioes
state that off of Greece in the mediterian,there could have been a ringed volcanic island that would have matched the description and also some under water excavations have turned up some evidence of structures on the sea floor.

I think that at laest some discoveries over the past decade would indicate the possibilty of several unaccounted
for civilazations.If any of these will ever prove to be Atlantis or not remains questionable.

#7 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:08 PM

Hm...one end of Europe to the other---doesn't really seem THAT far, since it would have to be a place far enough to be visited only rarely and thus acquire a legendary gloss.  Not saying this IS exactly what they suggest, but I wouldn't rule it out on the distance from Greece.

It probably does seem like a long journey now, but back then it probably was one that lasted months and possibly years to probably travel that distance. Plus I really haven't heard much of about Ancient Greeks and Egyptians wondering too far from home in fact both cultures probably no farther the other and possibly Italy.

#8 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 09 July 2004 - 10:03 PM

Unless, of course they used "ships"....Alien ships that is.........:)
Posted Image

#9 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 10:12 PM

I think those aliens have probed you one too many times deadzone :) j/k. um...even by ship(non-alien duh) it would've still taken months to reach Spain.

#10 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 10:40 PM

I have never been probed by aliens, Hawk, only mis-guided societies that refuse to open themselves up to all possibilities.....:)...I have had a experience when I was 8 years of age, that lead me to believe in the possibility that that do exist...So has my brother.....So, has countless others....But then again, it might be one hell of a mass hysterical moment in time...
Posted Image

#11 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 01:23 PM

I'm not saying that life can't exist outside of earth, yet I believe that some pour a little too much imagination into it(which is ok for fiction). ET call home? Now if you'll excuse me, I'm needed elswhere.

#12 linuxbear

linuxbear

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 05:30 PM

some people believe that Atlantis was a city near greece and not a island that sank to the bottom of the sea but the people had to flee from natural event such as an earth quake or flood but the one fact still stands , what happened to it. There are citys under greece so who know maybe another culture built their city on top of it :)
If i die tomorrow id be alright becasue i believe that after were gone, the spirit carries on! James LaBrie Dream Theater Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory

#13 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 06:27 PM

That is probably true, just like Troy got built over many of times.

#14 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:03 AM

But in the link given above, it is specifed that the sunken city is on the south coast of Spain, beyond the rocks of Gibralter! Which actually matches Plato's description.
Posted Image

#15 hawk2k3

hawk2k3

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:21 AM

Yeah so? It may be possible that to the ancient greeks that anything beyond the rocks was like a whole new world, mysterious and interesting, to them and Plato used it in his story about Atlantis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users