• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Ghosthunting, all aspects of the paranormal and the occult. I love to read and write, Stephen King is my current favorite author. I enjoy cemetery photography, exploring old places, being a husband and a father.<br><br>I love ghosthunting here in New Orleans. There is something new and amazing to discover here everyday. The culture is like no other. I lived in New Orleans all my life and complained about it everyday. It took moving out of state to make me realize how much I love this city. Now I'm back in New Orleans and couldn't be happier.

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:10 PM

This rumor came out about a year ago. The painting below was sold as a "haunted" or "cursed" painting on Ebay. Someone bought it for several grand. Apparently the previous owner's children were scared of the painting because they believed the boy in the picture was talking to them.

Anyway, the popular belief is that looking too long at this picture will cause nausea and an over all sense of ill-being.

Judge for yourselves.
Knowledge is the clearest and most direct representation of utter power. The power to change your place on Earth, the power to change your fate, the very power to alter yourself. Thirst for this power and your inner longings will become satisfied and your external desires will become moot.http://www.geocities.com/kalebbkellum/

#2 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:48 PM

Well, I don't know about it being haunted...but I guess I could see it creeping someone out, with the weird facial expression and the hands in the window, plus so many people seem to have a fear of dolls...
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#3 opterasis

opterasis

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 02:31 PM

id hang it in my room.. that is if it didnt cost half of a car.
myspace.com/corecontagionmy DVDAF

#4 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Ghosthunting, all aspects of the paranormal and the occult. I love to read and write, Stephen King is my current favorite author. I enjoy cemetery photography, exploring old places, being a husband and a father.<br><br>I love ghosthunting here in New Orleans. There is something new and amazing to discover here everyday. The culture is like no other. I lived in New Orleans all my life and complained about it everyday. It took moving out of state to make me realize how much I love this city. Now I'm back in New Orleans and couldn't be happier.

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:11 PM

Yeah, they did a lot for it, I believe around 19 grand, but that may be a bit more.

Of course, I'd have possibly paid that much just for its esoteric value alone.
Knowledge is the clearest and most direct representation of utter power. The power to change your place on Earth, the power to change your fate, the very power to alter yourself. Thirst for this power and your inner longings will become satisfied and your external desires will become moot.http://www.geocities.com/kalebbkellum/

#5 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:24 PM

I am sorry but the picture looks a mess.

Hunny
I smile because I have no idea of what's going on.

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:15 PM

Ya know, I've looked at that picture a thousand times, never once felt what they say others have.  So either I'm incredibly insensitive to that kind of thing or there's nothing to the tale.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:42 PM

I hate to be a spoiler, but that picture has been around ebay for an incredibly long time and I can't count the number of times it's been up for auction.  I guess it's true: there's a sucker born every minute.  Honestly, I don't think there was ever anything haunted in that picture. Just good fiction that went along with it.
petunia4998

#8 snoopymom

snoopymom

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:07 PM

uh - that picture gives me the creeps - even before I read what was said about it.  You're right, it has something to do with the facial expression on the boy and the hands on the windows.  I wouldn't want that painting any where near my home.
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. --Charles SchulzPosted Image

#9 snoopymom

snoopymom

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 06:31 AM

It reminds me of someone turning their back on society and living in their own small world.  

I agree about thinking it not being haunted, but I still don't want it!
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. --Charles SchulzPosted Image

#10 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 06 August 2004 - 10:57 AM

is it weird if i actually like the painting? i looked at it for quite awhile and i didn't feel any sense of nausea or dicomfort or anything. sorry but when i hear the words "haunted" and "ebay" in the same sentence, i always have the feeling that some sucker's going to clean out their savings to buy a genuine "haunted" object.
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#11 Yosei

Yosei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:12 PM

Well, I didn't say I didn't like it( it's not a huge favorite or anything, but I can see some artistic merit to it), but then I do tend to have rather macabre tastes---I just said I could see why some people would find it creepy.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#12 hunnyfire

hunnyfire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:53 PM

Snoopymom--> that was too funny!
I smile because I have no idea of what's going on.

#13 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:02 AM

The kid's kinda creepy looking. That doll behind him isn't much better looking. When i was younger, my grandparents had a large painting of my grandmother when she was a young woman hanging over the marble fireplace in the family room. That portrait used to scare the crap out of me with the feeling that it was watching me. The picture was my grandmother, so it shouldn't have scared me. But I never knew her when she was that age, just as a grandmother. I wonder if that kid's real and what happened to him. He's got that facial expression that kinda makes you wonder.......

#14 KalebKellum

KalebKellum

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:18 AM

Yeah, I too wonder exactly what the artist was thinking when he/she made it. What's the deal with the doll kid holding something that looks like a car part, and then those hands in the background.

I'd hang it in my house though, sure it's ugly and would probably scare the heck out of children, but imagine how good it would look hanging in the halls of a carnival haunted house. It probably has some deeper meaning that the artist intended but was never understood by the public at large.

I'll probably never know, all I can draw are stick people.

#15 Yosei

Yosei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:28 AM

A lot of artists paint things they see in dreams...it looks like something someone would have in some strange dream, I don't know, but it seems plausible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users