I have a question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cutie875432

Cutie875432

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 10:35 PM

I am curious, where does to superstition about black cats come from?  I have two black cats, one of which is completely black and can arch his back just like the halloween decoration.  Both cats seem to be good luck.  If Mai-Tai doesnt sleep on my bed at night, I seem to have a bad day when I wake up, this is probably just because I sleep better when things are the same but still, it makes for the opposite.  Anyways, just curious.

-Moriah
PS  I also have a grey cat so maybe the white of him evens it all out ;D.  Jk

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 31 July 2004 - 11:04 PM

Welcome to GV, Cutie875432. Enjoy your stay!
Posted Image

#3 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:29 AM

Cutie,

The black cat isn't considered bad luck everywhere - If I'm not mistaken, they're considered good luck in Japan and England.

Here's a link that will probably help you out with your question!

http://www.xmission....ox/folklore.htm

Oh, and our black cat sleeps with us too. He's also pretty sure he's human, and sits just like a regular guy...
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#4 Prometheus

Prometheus

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 01:03 PM

From what I understand,the black cat became an object of bad luck out of the belief that witches used cats as familars and a black cat I suppose just examplified evil.

#5 linuxbear

linuxbear

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 07:45 PM

the whole black cat thing has given black cats a bad rap for many many years but guess what. There is no such thing as a true black cat(or so i was told by a vet). If you inspect the cat you will see that under all the black there is a fine layer of very dark brown or even sometimes a blueish color. I  had to take my black cat to the vet and the doctor told me this and even showed me. There were in fact true black cats but through breeding it has all but dissappered.
If i die tomorrow id be alright becasue i believe that after were gone, the spirit carries on! James LaBrie Dream Theater Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory

#6 Cutie875432

Cutie875432

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:12 PM

I have one cat that I am pretty sure is true black, but I do admit the particular one I am talking about is seal.  The true black one is a siamese and is still fairly young.  I know that the one in question seemed true black until he was a year old.

#7 linuxbear

linuxbear

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:44 PM

I think that if you believe that black cats are bad luck then you will have bad luck. I mean it is like , if you believe something bad is going to happen then 99.9% of the time something bad does happen becasue we make it hapen even if we dont know it. Part of luck is mental so i guess if you believe that they are lucky then they are lucky if that makes sence.
If i die tomorrow id be alright becasue i believe that after were gone, the spirit carries on! James LaBrie Dream Theater Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory

#8 little_light

little_light

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Working Out<br />Music and Dance<br />And Being a wife and Mom!

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:54 AM

Welcome Cutie....
"You only get 1 shot!"

#9 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 10:16 AM

It kinda of funny how there are a lot of things that are black that are thought to be bad ; like cats.people who wear black. midnight. That just  yin and yan  of things I guess.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#10 deadzone

deadzone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Interests:I am a Clinical Psychologist, who uses a non-linear approach to helping individuals....Hence, my healthy obsession with the paranormal.....I enjoy debating, research, writing, plays, theater, designing web sites, and graphics, although not well versed in this area, I have fun doing it. I Adore animals and have several, a cat named Cuda, a dog named Skeeter, a horse named Diablo, a betta who fights with himself. I also paint, and blow glass......

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:17 PM

I love your cat, Holly, looks exactly like mine.....Hugs to the little soul......
Posted Image

#11 soul_drifter

soul_drifter

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Many many things =D

Posted 19 August 2004 - 01:06 PM

I love your cat too. Mine thinks he is a cross between a dog and a human, lol.

Of all the things said to caused bad luck, its just fake. Its what your mind believes that cause things to happen. Just like what Linux said, we make our bad luck.
"Ignorance, the stem and root of all evil" ~PlatoWe have eyes, but do we see?

#12 linuxbear

linuxbear

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:57 PM

Yeah we are what we make ourselfs

#13 tkite

tkite

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:I am a Witch, and practice Witchcraft. I am 36 years old, live in Texas, and want to move to Connecticut or thereabouts in the next few years. I am also a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge (AF&amp;AM). Masons can be of any religion, despite that most are Christian and Jewish. &lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;

Posted 02 October 2004 - 12:19 AM

The house cat I have growls like the dog.... He learned it from getting to close to my Pit Bull while she was eating..... Now he does it if the dog comes near while he's eating, but it sounds like a dog lol His name is Hannibal Lecter... and he's all black and fluffy. :weeee:
A Witch I am..... Use the Force...

#14 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 02 October 2004 - 09:19 AM

welcome to GV Cutie875432....i've been wondering that too. <_<
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users