• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 02:10 PM

I know there are a few of you out there that try to help a spirit-if possible-cross into the Light at the end of an investigation and one of the major foci of the research is who is this individual to this place's past, why do they choose to remain here, between worlds and is there something we/I can do to help them. Of course due to its very nature, a residual doesn't involve an interactive life force, is simply a recorded and replayed emotion/event. Though, one could ask that if there is no one there as witnesses, will a Union Battalion march down the streets of Atlanta, but that is a thread for another time 8)

Of course a great deal of that may depend on the owner, renter or manager, a hotel manager/owner may be totally unwilling to part with the hotel's main attraction and money
maker. The same I've seen true with a house renter, seeing a
presence as kind of a cool adrenaline rush, no matter what kind of bad mojo the spook in question carried with them or
the reason why they were there.

It requires a lot of effort, in a way you're playing spirit therapist as far as trying to figure out what will most help
your spook's transition...I was just king of curious as to how many of you made it a point of helping a spirit to cross into Light or how many of you just see it as so much piffle and hoakum ;D
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#2 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 02:52 PM

I have tired to several years ago at my friends mother's house.  And the spirit did not want to go anywhere so I got to a point that there was nothing else I could do.  She still has her spirit, even after I give she called in other people who in the end told her that they could not get the spirit to leave that she would have to wait and see if the spirit just moved on.  So, if they don't wait to go they want go ;)

#3 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 04:47 PM

can't really say that i've ever really tried to "help a spirit cross over," but i do think that i eased a spirit's anxiety and perhaps quieted her concern enough that she hasn't been seen or felt much lately...

i'm speaking of the "calico woman" who haunted the hallway outside of my childhood bedroom in my parents' 1907 house.  the calico woman was actually a spirit tied with the antique clawfoot tub that was installed in the bathroom adjacent to my bedroom.  

after years of wondering why she was there, dozens of dreams and scant sightings, meditations and tarot readings, i realized that she had died not long after her mom, whose body had been washed and laid in the tub.  she was afraid that people would forget about her mom, and forget about how she and her family suffered an awful bout of disease.  i assured her, psychically, that her grief was appreciated and understood and after that her presence has almost vanished from the house.

in fact, during the visit this christmas it seemed that her presence had disappeared entirely.  
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#4 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 04:49 PM

I will not buy things other's have owned until I hold the object in my hands and get a good sense of the objects. ;)

#5 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 04:53 PM

good call, ghosthunter!  i'm the SAME WAY.  my parents are less sensitive, and when they bought this tub when i was four years old, i knew there was something "scary" about it.  it wasn't until about 20 years later that i pieced its entire story together.

i have a fantastic story about my sewing machine, a vintage 1951 pfaff dial-a-stitch, which i can tell you about... i think the previous owner psychically drew me to buy it.  ;)  

i can't stand shopping at the vintage clothing boutiques here in san francisco, either.  especially the clothing by the pound place -- so many of those clothes give off vibes of others who have died before their time, or were just plain unhappy.  i never get good feelings from the clothes at that place.

#6 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 04:58 PM

I know it's like going around places that just give off bad vibes.  I have even walked down the street and pass a man and recieved some really wicked vibes. ;)  Even when my boyfriend's mother use to bring items to our house from flea markets and garage sale here in Lake Worth Florida I use to recieve bad vibes they came in one door and out the other :)

#7 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 05:04 PM

yeah - i'm like that with people on the street, too... i mean, walking around downtown san francisco is not only like walking in a "ghost mall" but it's also tiring.  i mean, i get vibes from **everyone** on the city bus, and it really really wears me out.  sensitivity is a great gift to have if you live in a big city full of potentially scary (or nice) people.

#8 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 05:12 PM

I agree with you it is power draining and it's a great gift to have now a days with all the strange people loose on the streets ;)

#9 flyingorb

flyingorb

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Interests:Infrared Photography

Posted 03 February 2004 - 06:03 PM

I have assisted several times, along with our group, in helping spirits cross over.  Just like the living there are many reasons some spirits remain.  Some are tied to the land, or house.  Some fear to face God and would rather remain on this side of the light.  Some remain where they found joy in life (such as the Wayne Theater in Michigan).  Some don't really accept that they are dead.  Some remain to protect their loved ones.  Many reasons, many personalities.  At first, I tended to view it all with a grain of salt until I photographed an Indian warrior just before he went into the light (of Manitou).  The infrared photo is to the left (my avatar).  So I know it is all too real.  ;)
CRY HAVOK! Let Slip The Chihuahuas Of War.....When an ORB dies.......a Chihuahua is born!

#10 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 05:07 AM

I am dealing with this right now.  I would prefer to see a spirit where it belongs on the other side, no matter what my interest in them might be.  They aren't here for my amusement, but unfortunately I do play a large part in the circus act that "haunted" hotels, theaters, etc.. put on.  In fact I am staying in a B&B that is well known for their ghosts this and next weekend.  As much as my moral side says it is wrong to play onto this, my curiousity gets the better of me and I give in.  

You can also say that I am torn on this subject as I have never attepted EVP or pictures of my resident spirit.  I have a good idea of who it is and why they linger in this world though from history I have done on my property, but I do not act on it.  Why????  I guess it is my own fear, I have no issues of spirits outside my home, but the media has drilled all those frightning images of haunted houses, that I really don't want to offend him in any way.  I know in my heart the right thing to do, but my actions speak louder and I am not doing them.

So, all in all I would say other spirits yes, need to pass over if possible, my spirit though will remain until I fight with the issues I have with myself.
lmackey, the (Ghost) Village Idiot

#11 whispers_of_fire

whispers_of_fire

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 07:23 AM

WOW...what an excellent start on this thread ;D

[glow=green,2,300]Hullo, Ghosthunter1010 and welcome to GV[/glow]
It can be very difficult at times, as much of it depends on the presence's personality and what's causing them to linger, whether its the bond to a loved one, anger over circumstances*this can be really challenging*or just being uncertain about moving on, but it is important to remember
that the choice of moving on is theirs...I've never banished
a spirit*LOL*Though I've met a few prime candidates, but the
house renter didn't want them gone til a few weeks later.

Hey, Fly, Thanks for responding, my friend. I know GHOSM does Reclamation, even going the extra mile from what you've told me of your Investigations*LOL*Are you all sure you all don't want to relocate to Southern Cal? Um...you do
swim, right? 'Cause you know the whole ruddy state's going to disappear beneath the Pacific before too long[smiley=cwm13.gif]. I'm going to go off the topic a bit, old friend, with the EVP's from that Invest...did they speak their own language?

Hey, Owlies! It makes sense that the tub would be a focal point of Calico Woman's ramaining, especially if she bathed and prepared her Mum's body for viewing, lots of really heavy duty emotions attached to it. I'm guessing they were a fair pace away from a major town or city...or she saw it as her filial duty. If I may ask, did you get a time period
associated with her...I'm wanting to say late 19th-early 20th where that practice was more common.

Hi, LMackey, I'm kind of torn on that point, Luv, whereas I think a haunt is a reason to charge a c-note more for rooms or suites to most owners, from what I've read and seen, it doesn't seem to bother the Spook any, in fact it may be said that the increased emotional/adrenal environment may be
kind of a psychic smorgasboard to the resident haunts, ya know? :-/
Remember...vote for New Orleans for our '05 Reunion...this is not a subliminal message...New Orleans! Obey Whispers of Fire! New Orleans

#12 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 07:57 AM

LOL! I had a nice response and then they turned the power off here.... argh!
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

#13 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 08:12 AM

I believe that the spirit was that of an Native American, for many reasons. We would at different times Native drums and chanting in Native American.

I had once went to her house and was taken pictures. For she does not have air conditioning in her house and with us living in Florida the whole house should have been hot, but it was not the back bedroom stays very cold and her granddaughter would not sleep in that room.
Anyway I had just left the back bedroom and shut the door tight and held the knob in my hand as if to mentally say stay in there.  I walk the short distance to her kitchen table were she and my son was seating and had just turned around and heard a rattling noise we watched as the knob shook and then turned and opened wide.  It then became foggy in the hallway. :o

#14 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 08:38 AM

hey whispers -- the calico woman was probably circa 1910... just after statehood in okla.  at that time, cities were certainly more than tents and most cities had an undertaker, but they were usually too expensive for most country folk, and state law did not require embalming until well after the 1930s (i think - have to look that up).  

i know that deaths in my mom's familly were handled mostly at home (preparation of the body; caskets were usually purchased and burial arrangement were paid for) until the early 1930s.  i'm guessing that the tub came from one of the surrounding communities, which were 1,000 people or less in 1978... so you can imagine how sparsely populated that area would have been in 1910.  maybe about 300 to 500 people per community, with lots of space inbetween.  

i always got the impression that the calico woman and her family were more or less "recent" residents of oklahoma when disease hit.  

i'm quite happy that she's now gone -- crossed over or at peace.  i mean, i absolutely sensed nothing there this time.  

however, the spirits still lurk at the back of the house... i'm wondering about a clock my parents have in their living room.  it's an old regulator - probably from 1915 (it requires winding!).  it's an old parlor wall clock that came out of bartlesville's first mortuary.  

#15 NocturnalCantaloupe

NocturnalCantaloupe

Village Elder

• Deleted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:53 AM

Heh, you hit the nail on the head with spirit therapist.  

I agree with the notion that you should have permission from the client/residents before making an attempt to help the spirit move on.  If the client wishes to have the spirit stay, then I think the next question would be if they would allow you to help comfort the spirit in some way.

This should still only be done if the investigative team is confident that they have the knowledge how to help the spirit.  

It is the same for a client that wishes the spirit to be gone.  You should only attempt to help the spirit move on if the team is up to the task.  I think an investigative team which feels it may have the abilities to help should give something for the client to sign.  There is no garuantee it will work.  Just as a counselor or psychologist  knows it could take years to help a patient.

I think this is the most important part of an investigation.  Help the client understand and be comforted in knowing the truth.  This means finding the natural cuases of that is what it is before labeling it paranormal.  If it is paranormal, then explain the agreed upon theory of the team to the client.  Help them be comfortable with the explanation.

Gathering  key information also is important as it helps us help the client better.

We need the data, the answers to help people and the spirits themselves through this.  but we need to start with the client first.  We have to care about them first.  Then lets worry about helping the spirit if it has been determinded that a spirit is present.

That is SOOO not as good as my original post that I lost due to the power failure... but maybe some questions or others thoughts can get my mind working again lol!
Is the art of life, living somewhere in between?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users