Is there a difference?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 babiangyl55

babiangyl55

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:29 PM

I've noticed how some people (myself included) think that there is a difference between a "ghost" and a "spirit," while others think they are the same thing. I just wanted opinions on the topic to see what some of you think. Thanks!

#2 babiangyl55

babiangyl55

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

To go more in depth with it, I believe that a ghost is the energy of a once mortal being from this earth that has not crossed over yet. They are exactly as they were before death, possessing the same abilities, except now they are in a meta-physical state. They can move objects, speak out to the living, and/or carry on with the life they lived before death on another dimensional plane. I believe they are limited to where they go or choose to go, that is why you always hear of ghosts haunting one specific place and no other.

A spirit is a being that has been to the other side and has the ability to travel freely back and forth between realms/dimensions and wander wherever they please. They could have been beings once mortal from this earth, or they could be "other-worldly" (beings not of this earth that find their way through portals that we might open up through conjurings/seances, etc.)
Because they possess the knowledge of the afterlife, they possess the abilities to not only interact with the living, but actually manipulate our own energies as well (physical/mental harm, possession,etc.) Spirits could come back from the afterlife for different reasons, perhaps to wreak havoc, to help or protect us, or to just let us know that there are things to expect after death.

#3 UnScene

UnScene

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

Very Well Said;
A very good explaniation of the difference. I am a writer, and am currently working on a piece that I needed termonology to explain the specifics that my character is dealing with, and you answered it clearly.
and I do beleive you are right.
UnScene
Darlene

To go more in depth with it, I believe that a ghost is the energy of a once mortal being from this earth that has not crossed over yet. They are exactly as they were before death, possessing the same abilities, except now they are in a meta-physical state. They can move objects, speak out to the living, and/or carry on with the life they lived before death on another dimensional plane. I believe they are limited to where they go or choose to go, that is why you always hear of ghosts haunting one specific place and no other.

A spirit is a being that has been to the other side and has the ability to travel freely back and forth between realms/dimensions and wander wherever they please. They could have been beings once mortal from this earth, or they could be "other-worldly" (beings not of this earth that find their way through portals that we might open up through conjurings/seances, etc.)
Because they possess the knowledge of the afterlife, they possess the abilities to not only interact with the living, but actually manipulate our own energies as well (physical/mental harm, possession,etc.) Spirits could come back from the afterlife for different reasons, perhaps to wreak havoc, to help or protect us, or to just let us know that there are things to expect after death.

#4 801

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:03 AM

I couldn't agree with your theroy more. I think a "Ghost" is that thing that materializes and you see and can make a sound or move objects. A "Spirit" doesn't nessecarily have to materialize to make its presense known and can also interact with you through psycic means. You said what I think is the key difference, and that is that a spirit can manipulate our own energies.
Posted ImageIs that you John Wayne? Is that me? No, I've been smoked by AnnieV!

#5 Ultrablue

Ultrablue

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

My understanding has always been that whereas a spirit is a soul that might drop in on you from time to time (like a deceased relative or loved one who wishes to check in periodically), an actual "ghost" is a lost soul that you will encounter during a classic haunting scenerio.

Ghosts are attached to certain places, and they "haunt" these places because chances are they either don't know they're dead, or are afraid to cross over into the Light for whatever reason.

A spirit has crossed over successfully, and is "living" their existance on the Other Side, only coming around when the need suits them, or when we need them.

#6 damckie

damckie

My innersoul rides on a big fluffy cloud....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with my best friend and soulmate

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:41 AM

They both keep me busy and happy. If something moves by itself by some seen /unseen object then I don't care if it is a ghost or a spirit. They are the same to me. Dave
Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny. Every road leads to your door...."Will you still love me?" By Chicago. Love is the reason we'll never be alone. In love, in love.... "I believe." By Chicago. I LOVE YOU JULIET!!! The Spirit Stalker of Ohio "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE" The Doors! GOOD DAVE HUNTING

#7 Flormarina

Flormarina

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:I love poetry, and photography, music and oil painting, in general I love nature, with all its splendour and glory. The paranormal has been one of my favourites hobbies.

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:11 AM

I was just wondering.... could it be that spirit and ghost are something like the mind and the body? We have a body and the body without the mind, it wouldn't work... when we sense spirits, we use the phrase, I feel a spirit, or sense a spirit, but when we see it.. we say... I saw a ghost

Also it could be that a spirit could be a being that was not ever incarnated like an angel... or a evil spirit? and Ghost are the ones who actually lived in a human body and passed on?

Edited by Flormarina, 26 December 2008 - 06:12 AM.

Posted ImageFlormarinaIf you got something to tell the world, write a book....

#8 meanderer

meanderer

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:33 AM

Sometimes people can't understand why I would use the words "ghost" and "spirit" in a different context; you've seemed to sum it up very well here. I would like to add, if I may, that although ghosts and spirits could "haunt" a place...a spirit could actually be part of a place. A ghost cannot "be" anything other than what they were before death. A spirit could be whatever it chooses, and go where ever it likes. As you've said, ghosts are limited to certain places. I, wholeheartedly, agree with your explanation, here.
Beannacht ort

#9 Old Guy

Old Guy

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:32 AM

Sometimes people can't understand why I would use the words "ghost" and "spirit" in a different context; ...

IMHO, the difference is a matter of personal perspective until we can prove/demonstrate otherwise. My own beliefs tell me that while I have (a) spirit, I am not yet nor do not yet have a ghost.

(From Wikipedia)
Ghost: A ghost is the apparition of a deceased person, frequently similar in appearance to that person, and usually encountered in places he or she frequented, the place of his or her death, or in association with the person's former belongings.

Spirit: The English word "spirit" comes from the Latin "spiritus" (breath). The term is commonly used to refer to a supernatural being which is transcendent and therefore metaphysical in nature. For many people, however, spirit, like soul, is a natural part of a being, and is identified with mind, or consciousness, or the brain.
Cynic. Skeptic. Believer.|||||||^

#10 my.mind.freak

my.mind.freak

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:lots more then anything i love ghost hunting wich im going to do this monday whn i get to sweden in the dark forest near our house i heard people were dead there or got lost and never found ... well i also like motorbikes,basketball, im a boy aint i .... i hate girls things i only like eyeliner dats it<br />i also love my pets all my cats...and i also like runescape

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

i think ghosts u can see them spirts u can feel them or maybe see them

life is too short to be sad live a life of happiness

#11 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

Interesting topic babiangyl55.
I believe the "spirit" holds and is in fact what makes up an individual; our bodies are just the container, our feelings, thoughts, everything that make up each individual.
This is what we know..... so this is what would be projected, by a "ghost".
If I were to supposes, I would have to say a haunting is a portion of ones self, or a confused spirit. OR in the case of a violent or UN-easy haunting, an angry individual wanting revenge or just simply lashing out, not intending any real harm.
Some just the echo of what was, due maybe to the love of a cretin place or the strong impact of there passing.
I also believe strongly in the ability of an individual to say good by in either a dream or apparition. (that is how my dad said good by to his mother, as an apparition.)

This may not be any help or even insightful. It is just the way I see it.
once again, good topic.
M

Edited by Atropa belladonna, 31 December 2008 - 06:50 PM.

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users