• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Bardok_911

Bardok_911

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 July 2002 - 07:16 PM

The mothman is an old legend, and most of u probably know the movie the mothman profecies that is based on this legened.  Well the story behind the mothman, as i know it is that he basically appears before a disaster to warn people of the impending danger.  Aside from the movie that is based on him, he is said to be found all over the world.  In 1951 chicago suffered a minor earthquake, boaters that day on lake michigan reported seeing a large black object flying around by the city, and by the buildings, but was too small to be a plane.  People in buildings reported seeing a hairy creature in the air fly by.  Also people in the buildings that were damaged the most by the quake reported hearing a knocking at their doors shortly before the quake, one couple opened the door and was almost scared to death by what they describe as a large winged creature with pale white eyes.  Some thought that the knock on the door was to tell them to stand in the doorways to brace themselves during the quake.  Chicago is not the only place where the mothman has been sighted, he has also been reported to have been sighted over chernoble(sp?) shortly before the reactor went critical, and was reported to have been seen over hiroshima japan the day the bomb was droped on it, the jappanese military reportedly mistook it for an american B-29 and opened fire on it, but was not able to hit it.  Well thats about all i know off the top of my head, i'm gonna read up more on it tonight, and try to give u more info, or if u have more info i'd love to hear.
I've got the urge....to ghost hunt...

#2 jolena73

jolena73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 07:04 AM

Pretty cool info...If I see him I will let you know ASAP!!

#3 MurdockPSB

MurdockPSB

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:paranormal research, writing, art, photography, psychology, movies, good books, good music, travel.. anything that keeps my life interesting!<br /><br />

Posted 30 July 2002 - 11:32 AM

I actually talked to someone about it (well, sat and listened to other people having the conversation. LOL) and apparently, the Mothman has been sited the most around Damascus, Ohio. I haven't seen the movie yet, or really heard much in depth about the actual incidents, but certainly sounds interesting.
"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde

#4 Bardok_911

Bardok_911

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 30 July 2002 - 06:54 PM

the urban legend i'm talkin about, is nothing like the movie, so dont use the movie as your base on my interpretation of the legend

#5 jolena73

jolena73

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 06:17 AM

Well since I have never seen the movie I guess anything I could contribute would be from memory. But I still do not want to tangle with the mothman....We are already in a drought, and on water restrictions in my town. So I really don't need a visit from thee mothman.

#6 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 04:51 PM

I saw the movie and it was pretty weird.Does it have anything in it that is similar to the real legend?FYI if you play the movie in slow mo at the begining when the car car crash happens you can see what mothman looks like.Its is wild :D
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#7 hurdingcats

hurdingcats

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 August 2002 - 05:04 PM

It sounds to me like a dark angel...spreading gloom and doom.  It reminds me of the white lady that appeares at Spanglers Spring in Gettysburg. It's said she appears when there is an act of injustice.

#8 wnterstar

wnterstar

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 August 2002 - 01:40 PM

I saw the movie.  I also know a little about the legend.  I don't remember the web addy, but there is a whole site (probably more than one) about The Mothman.

As far as I know, there have been several credible witnesses, too!

#9 Bardok_911

Bardok_911

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 August 2002 - 04:13 PM

Alright, if u wanna know about the Mothman legened that the movie was based on u can go right here------------------->http://www.prairieghosts.com/moth.html  That will tell u about the Mothman that terrorized the people of Point Plesent in the 60's, it is a really good article, and give a lot of info.

#10 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 10 August 2002 - 07:11 PM

tk u SweetE  :-*
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#11 Jeff Belanger

Jeff Belanger

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 05:31 AM

Has anyone ever considered that there are a LOT of similarities between the Mothman and the Angel of Death?

The idea of an Angel of Death is thousands of years old, the concept even appears in the Bible as in the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah -- an angel delivered the wrath of God.  Fire and brimstone rained down from above destroying the city and the people in it.

In the 15th century in France the Angel of Death took on the "Grim Reaper" persona.  A creature dressed in a hooded, black funeral cloak, carrying a scythe and hour glass.  Early on, the creature underneath the robe has been described a rotting corpse, then a skeleton.  But in many cases, the Angel of Death has been described as having glowing eyes.

Like the Mothman, the Angel of Death is seen around areas of great tragedy and death.  And also like the Mothman, the Angel of Death doesn't always appear to take life away.  In some cases, he may appear to prevent an untimely death.  One such example is in Ghostvillage.com's "Encounters" section:

http://www.ghostvill.../07252002.shtml

The Angel of Death has a lot more history then the Mothman.  It's possible that someone put a new label (i.e. Mothman) on a very, very old concept (i.e. Angel of Death / Grim Reaper).
Have you read these books?
Posted Image
There will be a quiz...

#12 Bardok_911

Bardok_911

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 04:27 PM

Wow Jeff, i never really looked at it from that angle, but now that u say it, its a pretty freaky. :o Great Point!

#13 thirteen

thirteen

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 02:56 PM

Ya know what woulda been interesting?  If the Mothman was sighted around Sept. 11, '01....  But, since I didn't hear anything, he don' like the big city...   :D  What if the Mothman only warns of natural disasters?   :o

#14 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 07:52 PM

Atomic bomb dropping on Japan was definatly not natrual disaster. Nor was chernoble.

The angel of death is also known as Arch Angel Gabriel.

Althogh according to some text i've read  there are many angels who are classified as the angel of death as kind of a secondary or thirdly function, not their main function like for example Arch Angel Michael main function is will say battling evil, other then that he is also known as an angel of death.

Arch angel Gabriel is a messenger of God also known as an angel of death.

learn alot about angels weather its reliable info from people who have done 20 years of research or just crap some one thought up i donno but its interesting.  I even found an angel with the same name as the girl I like and the description of the angel acuratly describes the girl I like. To bad she has a boyfriend though :D oh well

Apparently you will see the angel of death before you die. So i've heard.

Have anyof you seen the movie Final Destination?

Check it outs its awsome.

#15 vernonw1

vernonw1

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 May 2003 - 02:09 PM

The book gives some insight into the Mothman and it is very different than the movie.  It sounds in the book that there is some relation to extraterrestrials.  It is sortta hard to follow, but do check it out.
"When you let beauty and peace sink into you, dissension and strife begin to look like sheer insanity. Everything that people make a fuss about seems unimportant " Anne Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users