• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 linuxbear

linuxbear

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:09 PM

I have done research into many subjects of the unknown and i have a few that are legends but dont know if you would call them urban legends. I will post them and little about them so i hope you like and feel free to ask a question!
The RED CAP
Red Cap is a thoroughly evil creature. He is a short, stocky old man with long gray hair and claws instead of hands. He lives on the Scottish Border in ancient ruins of castles, especially in those with a bloody history of war and murder. He owes his name to the fact that he wears a red hat, which is colored by the blood of his victims. Red Cap moves with remarkable speed, despite the fact that he wears iron boots. He can overcome even the strongest man, unless the intended victim remembers to quote a few words from the Bible.
ELVES
In mainly Teutonic and Norse folklore, the elves were originally the spirits of the dead who brought fertility. Later they became supernatural beings, shaped as humans, who are either very beautiful (elves of light) or extremely ugly (dark / black elves). They were worshipped in trees, mountains and waterfalls. The Danish elves are beautiful creatures, but they have hollow backs. The Celtic elves are the size of humans.
The belief in elves, or supernatural and invisible beings, is almost universal. Apparently, there has been no primitive tribe or race that has not believed at one time or another that the world was inhabited by invisible beings. Especially on the British Isles the belief was very profound. In stories from the 8th and 9th century there are many references to elves, or fairies as they are called there. The king of the elves, Oberon, and his wife Titania appear in some very important works of medieval literature, such as Huon de Bordeaux and Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

The BOGGART
Household spirits from the north of England, and similar to brownies and bogies, although their nature is much more malicious and less helpful. The dark and hairy boggarts are dressed in tattered clothes, with meddling hands and clumsy feet. The presence of a boggart is betrayed by the unusual number of small accidents and strange noises after dark. They tip over milk bottles, frighten cats, pinch little children, blow out candles, and cause many other mishaps. No one has ever found a way to appease them, and often there is no alternative but to quickly and stealthy move to another home. In Manx folklore, it is called a buggane.
The BOGIE
Mischievous but harmless spirits who live in darkness and semi-darkness. They can be found in cellars, barns, attics, cupboards, hollow trees and caves, besides many other of such places. Favorite are places were people store goods for which they have no use, but are reluctant to discard. Hence a dusty attic or a junk shop will invariable harbor a number of bogies. Although they try to move with attempted stealth, their clumsiness betrays their presence with thumps, creaks and scuffles. They amuse themselves by hovering behind a person's back and thus creating a vague uneasiness, pulling blankets on cold nights and other uncreative mischief. Also they like to spy on people and listen to their conversations.
You never know some of the things could be confused with ghosts and hauntings. I have included a link to an site that you can go to for more information if you like. I just ask that everyone keep an open mind and im always willing to answer questions :)
http://www.pantheon.org/
If i die tomorrow id be alright becasue i believe that after were gone, the spirit carries on! James LaBrie Dream Theater Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory

#2 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:12 PM

some of them i think were invented to scare little kids into listening their parents. i myself was told by my cousin that the boogeymanw would gouge out my eyes if i didn't sleep in the light. but they are good stories and i loves elves. amazing that most of the characters you named were in the harry potter series.
btw, awesome site!
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#3 linuxbear

linuxbear

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:14 PM

lol yeah thats why i posted some of them JKR got her information from old folk tales and from the internet.
If i die tomorrow id be alright becasue i believe that after were gone, the spirit carries on! James LaBrie Dream Theater Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory

#4 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 11 July 2004 - 07:47 PM

...till the sandman he comes ;D
lol

You are right Alsie.... but good information Linux.
Posted Image

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 13 July 2004 - 10:02 AM

Seems a lot of authors of fantesy works pulled  their info from old folk tales.  Tolkin would be another one.  :)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 linuxbear

linuxbear

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 10:41 AM

i have found in doing research that there are a lot of folktales and other storys out there that are really good and maybe oneday i will write a book about them lol. I would like to know about past lifes if anyone can help

#7 cryptkeeper

cryptkeeper

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:19 PM

Linuxbear,

Great information. Great site.  Loved that, was awesome.  Check out the Author Rosemary Guiley she has a book out on those creatures.

If you like fairies then this is for you all.

#8 linuxbear

linuxbear

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:13 PM

that is so cool. i dont know much about fairies but am willing to learn and read on the subject :) . If anyone has a question about an old myth or folk tale let me know. I think it would be fun to have a quiz or trivia to see who can stump who lol

#9 cazmarie

cazmarie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:37 AM

hi i'm here!!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users