Free Skins
© Fisana

the wendigo

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

• Guests

Posted 22 May 2003 - 08:31 AM

[glow=pink,2,300]have you ever heard of the wendigo? it's a story and a movie (personally, i though the movie sucked...but whatever)...anyway...it's a canadian legend...families that go camping used to tell the story of the wendigo to their kids so they wouldn't wander off...so my question is if u have ever heard of it. [/glow]

#2 wayne2241

wayne2241

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Listen to Spooks R Us on the Para-X radio network, Mondays at 10pm eastern time, 7pm pacific. Go to http:www.para-x.com

Posted 22 May 2003 - 09:57 AM

Here's a link that tells the story of the Wendigo. Pretty cool stuff.

http://www.prairiegh...om/wendigo.html

MRIP

Posted Image

Listen to Spooks R Uson the Para-X network on Mondays at 9pm eastern time, 7pm pacific time. http:www.para-x.com

• Guests

Posted 22 May 2003 - 12:20 PM

[glow=red,2,300]thank you[/glow]

#4 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 03:12 PM

According to my Ghost and Spirits encyclopedia a windigo(also wendigo,wiendigo) in North America Indian beliefs, a dangerous, cannibalistic being. The Algonquain say it roams about the forests, devouring hapless humans. Hunters who become lost and are forced to eat human flesh become windigos.The Objibwa consider it to be an ice monster who can posses individuals and cause them to eat their own family members. the windigo sickness is the worst type of psychic sickness that can befall a shaman, and can be brought on by egotistical abuse of shamanic powers or loss of control in spirit possession.
   White settlers in Minnesota regarded the windigo of the Ojibwa as a death omen ghost; the supersitition was prevalent in some parts of the states as late as the early 20th century.
   The windigo was described as a 15-foot-tall being in dazzling white,with a star in the middle of its forehead. It roamed the forests, swamps and praries.
   Its appearance, in either day or night, was inevitably followed by a death in the family.
   Not to nice and it would keep me out of the woods.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

• Guests

Posted 23 May 2003 - 08:13 AM

[glow=gray,2,300]ok...this isn't about the wendigo but i don't want to start a new topic and be annoying so i'll say it here...you know how if you are sitting in a chair or somewhere like that...you can sense if one of your family members or a friend is behind you...well i'm home alone today and i fell like thats happening. i keep turing around to look but i remember i'm here alone. this is weird...and for some reason i don't like mirrors. they scare me...(and no, not cause i see my face in them) :) lol[/glow]

#6 secretsign

secretsign

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 02:22 PM

That happens to me alot too. Its very nerve racking :o
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#7 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 09:57 PM

Secret,

I've heard of the Wendigo, but not the specifics as you've just posted.

That's very interesting.  There's a site in NE Ohio, called Top O' the World, which is really a farm (now owned by a park) that was built on sacred Native American land.  It is surrounded by forest park land.  Historical records indicate violent, bloody battles between white settlers and local tribes nearby prior to the permanent taking of the land.  A hostile, "black shadow" entity is rumored to wander this land.  It gets even more interesting--the legend is that one of the subsequent white owners, a farmer, killed/mutilated his own family, then committed suicide.  Don't know if this part is true, although park officials, while conducting tours of the homestead for a brief period in the late '70's, acknowledged that the family of one of the early landowners died within a short period of time and were buried in various graves somewhere on the property.    

I get emails on this site fairly regularly (many talk of the same black shadow figure), and have researched the background of this area.  

Perhaps this is a variation of a Wendigo tale?  Makes sense.

Could you give me bibliog. info on that encyclodpedia?  Would like to look into that further.  Thanks!
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#8 secretsign

secretsign

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 06:40 PM

The encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits is by Rosemary Ellen Guiley and cover everything from a to z. It also listed for further reading .The Shaman Patterns of Religious Healing Among the Ojibway Indians.It also said see Banshee; Death Omens. I hope this helps.

#9 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 07:53 PM

Thanks.  :)
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#10 secretsign

secretsign

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 02:03 PM

I would like to hear more on the black shadow figure. I'm from Ohio and as a girl we used to go to the Indians Mounds. I'm sure this was scared land which was a park and a museum then. I'm not sure on the location. I'd have to ask my Mom.

#11 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 07:16 PM

Here's a link to the page I put up on Top O' The World:

http://www.deadohio....opOtheWorld.htm

Additional stories regarding a shadow figure/beast were emailed to me by others and can be found by going to this page, and clicking on the Top O the World bookmark:

http://www.deadohio.com/StoriesEtc.htm

In addition to those reader contributions talking about a black shadow figure/beast, while researching the place and interviewing for the site, other similar stories of a "menacing shadow" came up.  The stories about the farm often overlap with that of another local urban legend regarding The Seven Barns.  

http://www.deadohio.com/SevenBarns.htm

From Ohio, eh?  Where were the Indian Mounds you visited as a child?  I'm guessing that they're part of the more famous mounds (serpent, fort hill, earthworks, etc.) located in Central and Southwest Ohio.

Hope this info helps.

#12 secretsign

secretsign

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 11:42 AM

Oh gosh I think it was Ft Hill that one rings a bell with me, ???
I know it was a nice little drive from Cincinnati.

Thanks for the info :)

#13 Angel_of_Death

Angel_of_Death

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 12:10 AM

So is the Windigo or whatever usually believed to be an abnormal human shaman or a beast?

#14 secretsign

secretsign

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 04:26 AM

From what I'v read it is a beast,but if a Shaman abused his powers he turns in to one.

#15 Angel_of_Death

Angel_of_Death

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 06:45 AM

Gotchya

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users