• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#1 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:39 PM

Superstitions kinda go hand in hand with folk lore,they get handed down from generation to generation and I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have heard of a few or even have some.  
For me I always X out a black cat that crosses my path. Not that I think they are bad luck...Ok maybe I'm just a little superstitious ::) no need to press my luck...teehee.
What's yours?
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#2 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 07:04 PM

I cant think of any at the moment for myself but I have a friend that came by my garage the other day had walked through the big door that the cars come through. We were closing the shop and closed the big door and we were walking out the smaller door to the side. My friend would not walk out the side door because he said that he had to leave out the same door he came in through. He was so serious that he would not come out untill I opened the big door again. That is the first time I had run into that one.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#3 Kellerz

Kellerz

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 02:52 AM

I have a thing about odd numbers...dont like them ... when i was younger i couldnt just take 1 of something had to be 2.... or 4 etc... maybe thats just obsessive compulsive  ;D   dont do it now...although my friend did just convince me into taking on 3 new rats instead of two because then i'd have a nice even 10 rats rather than 9.
Hide me from me, fill these holes with eyes for mine are not mine. Hide my head and need, for i am no good, so dead in life, so much time. (Stan Rice 'Cannibal')Just call me Mrs Willard

#4 dntueva

dntueva

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 04:13 AM

I heard that large building never have a 13th floor is that true? I heard this cause, i saw a video of some bungie jumpers, going to a building that had 14 floors and they made the bungie 14 floors long or a little shorter and then jumped off the side of the building and hit the ground and died.
the friends couldnt figure it out, tell someone told them the building was 13 floors, but they didnt put that on the elevator cause they never put 13 on the buttons in the eleveator cause of the superstition.
Sounded weird to me.
Michael

Posted ImageIt Always Pays To Pay Attention

#5 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,391 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 August 2003 - 05:26 AM

I have a gold ring. I got it from my mom 3-4 years back and it represent HER to me, and it is my lucky charm!

what else? perhaps I have been avoiding the numbers 4 and 8, dunno! and perhaps my over closeness with the numbers 6 and 5 :)

and CATS - I believe they always brings me the good times - whenever wherever whatever.
Posted Image

#6 inaspin2

inaspin2

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 06:30 AM

Mine is not walking underneath a ladder. If I have no choice but to I always cross my fingers!
Smashing a mirror also freaks me out. They say it's seven years bad luck I think if you smash one, and I've smashed a few  :o (clumsy that I am!)
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers you will unfold. What are you waiting for? Spread your wings and soar-Christina Aguilera

#7 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:16 AM

Personally, I always thought it to be bad luck to be superstitious. LOL  Actually, according to one web-site that I ran across the other day (the site name escapes me right now) but most people act on supersitions, whether the know it or believe it.  Supposedly when we wait to put our socks and shoes on last in the mornings (or whenever we get dressed) that this is somehow handed down from an old superstition.  I would love to know more about this one, and if anyone has any info, it would be appreciated.
A Drifter is only a poet with wings, he moves but he can't learn to fly, running in footsteps ahead of his time, with no one to see if he cries. Doyle Lawson & QuicksilverPosted ImagePosted Image

#8 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 12:29 PM

Cajun, you never had a special ball glove or that lucky hat that you have to wear? I always heard don't come in the front door and go out the back" its bad luck" hehe.

Kellerz ,you always use odd numbers when decorating ;D

Dntueva ,Yeap I have heard that about the 13th floor.I guess bc of the number 13 ???

What about the no shoes on the table or no hats on the bed.anyone ever heard of these?
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#9 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 03:04 PM

I work with some really superstitious people....don't split poles, don't put a black purse on the ground????, and a few others not already mentioned elsewhere...

I had also heard about 13th floors but never remember to make a note of it while in a hotel...

and I don't put shoes on the table, not for superstition, but do YOU know what you may have walked through???
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#10 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 04:52 PM

Well I dont know if you would call it a superstition or not but here goes. My son collects knives and I get plenty of them for him. I will not give him a knife though, I always sell it to him for for 1 penny. I feel that if he cuts himself with a knife I gave him I could feel guilty, but if I sell it to him then he accepts all responsibility himself.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#11 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 05:05 PM

BTW as far as the 13th floor in a high rise building is concerned, they usually skip that number. You also dont fing seat number 13 on a bus plane or theatre. 13 is usually omitted in street addresses also.

#12 ghosthunter_girl

ghosthunter_girl

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:57 PM

This just may be a weird quirky thing that I do, but I HAVE to sleep on my right side. If I'm on my side, or even on my tummy or back, I have to face the right side, because I always associate the left side with the Devil. (Sorry left handers!) But you know how in the cartoons where the little devil was on the left side, and the angel was on the right...? That's where it all started....see what TV did to me?!  :)
"The head are the invisible ones, but not the absent ones." -Victor Hugo

#13 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 03:41 AM

Cajun, the knife thing is a superstition.  Whether it is an "old" one or not remains to be seen at this point in time, but my whole family is that way.  Not necesarilly having to pay with a penny, but in some form.  I once traded a split-shot sinker for a knife from one of my life "heroes".

One question though about the whole 13th floor thing.  In a 20 story building, just because a floor isn't labeled 13, isn't it still going to be the 13th story, thus causing bad things to happen there?  
A Drifter is only a poet with wings, he moves but he can't learn to fly, running in footsteps ahead of his time, with no one to see if he cries. Doyle Lawson & QuicksilverPosted ImagePosted Image

#14 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 03:58 AM

No one said being superstitious is rational
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#15 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:16 AM

What is it about the numer 13 that is so bad?  I've looked around on the web for something like this, but I've had no luck.

And masquarade, forgive a newbie for the mistake of thinking supersititions needed to be based in rationality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users