Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:13 AM

Does anyone know why you're not supposed to use a yellow lighter? :P
--- *Kayla Burt*myspace.com/amberlouise328

#152 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:47 AM

As far as the Bic brand goes, the yellow lighters don't seem to last as long as the other colors. I quit smoking many years ago so I don't use any Bic lighters nowadays.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#153 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

Not really a superstition but I will not wear red ...full stop !!!!!

#154 syscokid

syscokid

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

Green Harleys are a No no

#155 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

I heard that, along with a bird flying into your house too. My grandma said if a bird goes poo on your head it is good luck. LOL

Now there's one i've never heard before

On the subject of colours...blue is apparently an unlucky colour for an actor to wear on stage. Green and yellow, during the era of the morality plays, were often considered a symbol of the Devil. A devil in disguise might be identified by wearing a green or yellow tie, vest or hat. It is also believed to be disasterous to allow a yellow clarinet in the orchestra.

Hmmm, I see a pattern with the green and yellow
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#156 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

Another yellow superstition:

Cowboys and cowgirls won't wear yellow into the ring during a competition. Yellow is the colour attributed to cowardice.
Posted Image

#157 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

Many race car drivers will not paint or drive a green car. I did once own a green car that caught fire. Then again what was the legend about the green M&M's?
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#158 Justa

Justa

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

Well, the story that I've heard the most often is that Green M&M's have aphrodisiac qualities.

However, a more realistic story was told to me by one of my superiors when I was a young sailor. He said that when you come home from a long time at sea, you take a bag filled with 99 green M&M's, and throw them around the yard. You tell the children that there are 100 green M&Ms in the grass, and that they can't come in the house until they find them all. When you are ready for them to come in, you can go out and pretend to pick up the 100th one from the grass, and give it to them.
Posted Image

#159 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

Well, the story that I've heard the most often is that Green M&M's have aphrodisiac qualities.

However, a more realistic story was told to me by one of my superiors when I was a young sailor. He said that when you come home from a long time at sea, you take a bag filled with 99 green M&M's, and throw them around the yard. You tell the children that there are 100 green M&Ms in the grass, and that they can't come in the house until they find them all. When you are ready for them to come in, you can go out and pretend to pick up the 100th one from the grass, and give it to them.

Ha ha! Gotta get some alone time with the wife somehow....

I'm one of those people who has to have everything in even numbers.. And like when I eat M&Ms (or some other small colored candy) all the colors have to be even numbers, and the amount of candies in each color have to be the same... And I eat them in 2s.
Love life.

#160 Justa

Justa

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:54 AM

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason for the even numbers? What do you do with the left overs? For example, if you get 15 red ones, do you save the 15th until next time?
Posted Image

#161 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason for the even numbers? What do you do with the left overs? For example, if you get 15 red ones, do you save the 15th until next time?

I don't know why the even numbers... I count all my candies before I start eating them and if they're odd they go back in the bag and I start over... It can take along time to get my even number... That is the one thing I'm obssesive about... Even numbers.
Love life.

#162 Greco

Greco

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:I have always loved the supernayural and the idea that there is life after death. I love to haunted house hunt and I love horror movies. I have had a few supernatural encounters but just a few years ago I saw my first ghost.

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

I admitt I do have a few superstitions I follow. If I spill salt I take some and throw it over my left shoulder, I always put my left shoe on first(can't remember where I heard that one), break a mirror 7 years bad luck, and I absolutely won't go out on the Ides of March(March 15th). I also have this thing about even numbers. The only odd number I like is 7(it's my lucky one), and I hate the number 6!!

Edited by Greco, 28 March 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#163 Maelinde

Maelinde

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Science Fiction, Reading, Renaissance Faires, Costuming/Sewing, beading, jewelry design, polymer clay artist, singing, hanging out with my husband and two cats - and going for walks with my hubby.

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

Our superstition is for New Year's Eve...

All the past year's problems/issues are written down on slips of paper and then tossed into the fireplace or fire pit. If they burn up, the worries are gone. If they don't, those problems or issues will stick around through the next year. If they burn partially, then the strength of the problem is diminished by the amount burned.

All of mine burned this past New Year's Eve - :)
Debbie / Maelinde"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats." - Robert HeinleinVisit My Website

#164 MysteriousMe

MysteriousMe

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy reading, watching Reality tv shows, going shopping, and cooking. I also love my job, I am currently working with Cirque du Soleil. When I'm not at work I'm usually hanging out with family or friends, enjoying the Cali weather.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:35 PM

I always knock on wood if i say something bad, so i wont jinx myself, or whoever I'm talking about. :weeee:

#165 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

I still knock on wood to avoid jinks as well as still have the habit of tossing a pinch of salt over my left shoulder if it is spilled.

silly I know.. old habits are hard to break.

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users