Superstitions

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#166 Maelinde

Maelinde

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Science Fiction, Reading, Renaissance Faires, Costuming/Sewing, beading, jewelry design, polymer clay artist, singing, hanging out with my husband and two cats - and going for walks with my hubby.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:34 PM

My hubby has the superstition about black cats crossing your path... We HAVE a black cat named Osiris, so it's rather difficult as he's always underfoot. :Spaz:

Randy will startle Osiris so that he doesn't cross his path - and it's really quite funny to watch that happen. :)

Osiris crosses my path several times daily. The only bad luck I've ever received from it is if I wasn't paying attention and tripped over him. ;p
Debbie / Maelinde"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats." - Robert HeinleinVisit My Website

#167 ghosthuntress16

ghosthuntress16

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:45 PM

I noticed that a lot of people are talking about opals as a bad luck gift, but I have always heard the opposite. My mum is so superstitious about it that, instead of allowing me to buy an opal ring, she insisted that I wait on it so she could buy it for me. She also wont allow Ouija boards in our house, saying that they unconditionally bring bad luck.
Believe as if your life depended on it, for indeed it does.

#168 Whitebuffalo

Whitebuffalo

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:02 AM

I have no idea if this is being superstitious, or simply wanting my family to know at all times... :wow:
Whenever I leave one of them, I make a point to say I love you, kiss and hug them. It seems like if I forget to do that, or if the day starts out in a mad scramble for the door, my day seems to be not as good as it could be. I have the thoughts that if THIS is the last moment I ever have with them in THIS life, I do not want them to ever doubt that.

#169 Mustang

Mustang

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

I don't know if you would call that superstitious or not, but I feel the same way. I have to hug and kiss eveyone just in case this is the last time they see me or I see them, just so they know how much I love them.

#170 Maelinde

Maelinde

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal, Science Fiction, Reading, Renaissance Faires, Costuming/Sewing, beading, jewelry design, polymer clay artist, singing, hanging out with my husband and two cats - and going for walks with my hubby.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

I always tell my family that I love them when on the phone or when I/they leave for travel, work, or whatever.

Another thing my mom always told me - "Never go to bed angry. Those might be the last words you ever speak to each other"

My favorite is an old Irish proverb - "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" Dunno if that's superstitious or not, but my hubby always kisses me goodnight and goodbye in the morning, though I'm not awake enough to remember that.. :hug:
Debbie / Maelinde"While the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats." - Robert HeinleinVisit My Website

#171 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

This one I would hear in High School from the girls who were smoking.

"Third one to use the match will get pregnant"

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

#172 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

I always tell my family that I love them when on the phone or when I/they leave for travel, work, or whatever.

Another thing my mom always told me - "Never go to bed angry. Those might be the last words you ever speak to each other"

My favorite is an old Irish proverb - "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" Dunno if that's superstitious or not, but my hubby always kisses me goodnight and goodbye in the morning, though I'm not awake enough to remember that.. :Spaz:

I ALWAYS have to say "I love you" to my mom... I like to say it to my sister and dad, but most of the time they're not around... But I can't get to sleep with out telling my mom those three words... I think it's just because of all she does for me and I'm afraid she'll feel unappreciated... IDK. If my dad is leaving omewhere he'll kiss me goodbye... Most of the time he freaks out and gets my mom because he thinks that I'm not breathing...

ANother wierd thing for me... I have to sleep with my blankets over me head... It's been like that sense I was in kindergarten... Because if something/someone were to be in the room with me, as long as my head is covered they can't see me. Doesn't matter if my feet are sticking out (which is liable to happen since and how I'm 5'10), as long as my head is covered... Probably from that whole, what I can't see can't harm me... I just never out grew it... My mom said I'm a pain to share a bed with.
Love life.

#173 ghosthuntress16

ghosthuntress16

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:12 PM

My favorite is an old Irish proverb - "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" Dunno if that's superstitious or not, but my hubby always kisses me goodnight and goodbye in the morning, though I'm not awake enough to remember that.. :ghost:

I ALWAYS have to say "I love you" to my mom... I like to say it to my sister and dad, but most of the time they're not around... But I can't get to sleep with out telling my mom those three words... I think it's just because of all she does for me and I'm afraid she'll feel unappreciated... IDK. If my dad is leaving omewhere he'll kiss me goodbye... Most of the time he freaks out and gets my mom because he thinks that I'm not breathing...

ANother wierd thing for me... I have to sleep with my blankets over me head... It's been like that sense I was in kindergarten... Because if something/someone were to be in the room with me, as long as my head is covered they can't see me. Doesn't matter if my feet are sticking out (which is liable to happen since and how I'm 5'10), as long as my head is covered... Probably from that whole, what I can't see can't harm me... I just never out grew it... My mom said I'm a pain to share a bed with.

lol. While I dont sleep with my head under the covers, I cant sleep with any appendage hanging over the edge of the bed, even if the room isnt dark. I dont know what it is - Im nearly 21, and Im still afraid of the creatures under my bed! (Even if they are just MONSTER dust bunnies). I also cant sleep with the closet door open, for the same reason as the all-legs-and-arms-firmly-tucked-under-covers thing.

Maybe not so much a superstition, but I am also scared of dark hallways. If I have to turn the lights out before I step out of a room, or hallway, you better believe I run :ghost:

I tell my parents I love them every time I leave the house or get off the phone. Our family has had too many close calls to not let them know how much I appreciate and love them.
Believe as if your life depended on it, for indeed it does.

#174 Maelinde

Maelinde

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:54 PM

Well, I also don't sleep with arms/legs hanging over the bed either, but it's for an entirely different reason.

My cats think that any dangling appendage is an invitation to play, and they have SHARP claws. It's not a pleasant way to wake up at 5am with a cat climbing/scratching/clawing one's arm to shreds. :P

#175 edelweiss

edelweiss

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy reading sword and sorcery books, golfing,watching t.v.,learning new things about almost anything,and of course spending time with family and friends.<br /><br />I recently started running and working out to get myself into better shape, but that is hard because I am not a healthy eater.

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:57 PM

I really don't think of myself as superstitious but when I used to play softball I would walk out to my position in the field and walk in 3 circles and say a little prayer not to screw up.

>>>Keep your head up.<<<~2 Pac

#176 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:01 PM

My favorite is an old Irish proverb - "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" Dunno if that's superstitious or not, but my hubby always kisses me goodnight and goodbye in the morning, though I'm not awake enough to remember that.. ;)

lol. While I dont sleep with my head under the covers, I cant sleep with any appendage hanging over the edge of the bed, even if the room isnt dark. I dont know what it is - Im nearly 21, and Im still afraid of the creatures under my bed! (Even if they are just MONSTER dust bunnies). I also cant sleep with the closet door open, for the same reason as the all-legs-and-arms-firmly-tucked-under-covers thing.

Maybe not so much a superstition, but I am also scared of dark hallways. If I have to turn the lights out before I step out of a room, or hallway, you better believe I run :Spaz:

I tell my parents I love them every time I leave the house or get off the phone. Our family has had too many close calls to not let them know how much I appreciate and love them.

I HATE CLOSETS... A couple of years ago my mom rearranged my room so that my bed was next to my closet... ACK! On on side of my bed is creepy proclien dolls and the other side is the closet of DOOM! I can't sleep with my body parts hanging OVER the bed either... I've seen Poltergiest I know what kind of murderous clown toys can be lurking under the bed. Right now I'm sleeping on the living room floor (can't get up the stairs... It really hurts to fall down them and land on the slate floor on the bottom) so I don't have to worry about those. I also hate dark hallways... We have automatic lights so if you step out they automatically turn on....
Love life.

#177 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

I just remembered one.
Burry a statue of St Joseph. in the back yard--and he must be buried upside down.
To help sell your house.

Don't forget to dig him up and take him with you after the sale, or you will be haunted by a dirt covered angry statue of a saint.

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

#178 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:01 PM

One that I was just reminded of because of something else I posted over in the Last Poster thread, not sure if it counts as a superstition, feng shui, or just a personal quirk---but the bathroom should never, ever be the same color scheme as another room in the house and absolutely not even close to the color of the kitchen or the whole house just feels blah and awful to me. Opposing functions, opposing colors.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#179 Max-Renn

Max-Renn

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:02 PM

My mother is fairly superstitious and growing up I recall one superstition she had involving playing cards. She wouldn't let my brother or I play with them at night as we would be playing with "the devil". She also owns a horseshoe that she believes brings good luck, and keeps a type of plant in the house that is believed to keep away bad spirits (its name escapes me at the moment).

#180 cloud7

cloud7

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:21 AM

Some of my superstitions:

People of my culture shouldn't do organ donation because of the belief your soul is re-incarnated. If you do donate an organ, in your next life you will be born missing some body parts. (Reason why my bf is not an organ donator because he's so superstitious)

People with a certain last name in my culture cannot eat the heart of any animal or they go blind. Due to this story:

A long time ago the people (with that last name) in the village were having a feast for some visitors. They butchered a cow and were going to use the heart for an offering and boiled the meat in a big pot for the feast. There was a village boy who was mute & slightly retarded who was watching the cooking meat. When the village people asked for the heart the boy could not find it. Since he couldn't talk the villagers assumed he had been greedy and taken the heart and eaten it himself. The villagers were enraged so they killed the boy and used his heart instead for the offering. But after the feast they found the heart of the cow in the bottom of the big pot where it was all along. Because of this the Visitors cursed the villagers that if they eat the heart of any animal they would go blind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users