• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#16 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 01:29 PM

With knifes,  the person who open the knife must also close it ???
If you give a wallet or purse to someone put a penny in it.
The number 13 is associated with Friday the 13th  and people have fears of the number 3, called triscadiscaphobia (sp)?
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#17 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 03:44 PM

TKE, your forgiven  ;D

Here's two more, saying "rabbit, rabbit" the first thing on the first day of a new month, head that a couple of places

and a co-worker's mother says you're to shake your empty wallet at the full moon ?? to get money

has anyone heard of those two????
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#18 secretsign

secretsign

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:45 PM

No I haven't heard of those, They're diffrent, but I kinda do something like shake your wallet at the moon. I can see how that would work. lol and  it would be easier than a spell, If the intent is there....hummm ;D
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#19 Kellerz

Kellerz

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:52 AM

1st day of the month ive heard (and done hehe) "pinch punch first day of the month" in whch you pinch and punch some one but if they say "white rabbit" first you cant pinch or punch them ...

also 13 is considered to be the number of witches in a coven
Hide me from me, fill these holes with eyes for mine are not mine. Hide my head and need, for i am no good, so dead in life, so much time. (Stan Rice 'Cannibal')Just call me Mrs Willard

#20 CajunKnight

CajunKnight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 06:46 PM

Thats right the 13th floor still exist but do you realize how many buildings you have been in that you dont even notice that the 13th floor isnt even marked.
Welcome to ghostvillage, home of 24,000+ smiling faces and a few old grouches."Some things have to be believed to be seen"Ralph Hodgson

#21 secretsign

secretsign

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:35 AM

It is true Cajun, about the 13th thing. I have had guests request a diffrent room number because it was 113. There was this one lady into numerololgy refuse to stay in anything with 13 in it. ???

#22 gouliegirl777

gouliegirl777

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 02:06 PM

::) Ok so technically you wouldn't ever want to stay on the 14th floor either then, because it would be the 13th floor.
Now again, if you did stay on the 14th floor and nothing bad happened, then the superstition becomes kinda silly doesn't it?

LOL

;)

#23 TKE448

TKE448

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 04:26 AM

Now again, if you did stay on the 14th floor and nothing bad happened, then the superstition becomes kinda silly doesn't it.

Here's where I get confused.  If 14 is actually 13, and nothing bad happens, then it could be that you are on the "14" rather than the "13".  confused yet?  I am.  Maybe it's just the number 13 that is unlucky rather than the physicallity of their being 13 of something.  Never mind, I have just dug myself into a whole and have started throwing dirt back on myself.
A Drifter is only a poet with wings, he moves but he can't learn to fly, running in footsteps ahead of his time, with no one to see if he cries. Doyle Lawson & QuicksilverPosted ImagePosted Image

#24 Bangin

Bangin

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 09:40 AM

There is a phobia called "triskaidekaphobia".  It is the fear of the number thirteen.  Here is a link that provides more insight as to why this number has proven to be unlucky for some.

http://www.athensnew...030613014.shtml
First voice: "Where is he...around here?"Second voice: "He's dead."First voice: "Ah, he could be anywhere then."

#25 lone

lone

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 06:38 AM

If you drop a knife and it sticks into the floor you should get some one else to pick it up  but if you pick it up yourself it is suppose to mean there is going to be a death in your family or circle of friends.........
somebody told me that along time ago and I always think its better to be safe than sorry

#26 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 09:57 AM

I also heard that 13 was considered unlucky because it was the number of apostles including Judas.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#27 softy-girl

softy-girl

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 11:15 AM

In softball we always said not to let the bats cross in the dugout or you will lose and don't step on the foul lines before the game started.
You don't have to see it to believe it!

#28 secretsign

secretsign

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 01:05 PM

What about the rhyme"Step on a crack break your mother's back"? I can't remember the rest ???

#29 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 02:52 PM

I also heard that 13 was considered unlucky because it was the number of apostles including Judas.

I've heard this too, but I believe that thirteen is/was also considered unlucky in some nonChristian cultures, such as the Vikings.
What Would Batman Do?

#30 offdahook4now

offdahook4now

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 02:47 PM

Here's a few superstitions from my southern grandparents.

To cure a baby with thrush.... A man who has never seen his father before breathes his breath gently into the baby's mouth..
My grandma's dads dad died before he was born, and he was called upon to cure babies with thrush several times.

Superstition or folk remedy?
When kids were sick with a cold, their mothers filled a small pouch with strong smelling dried herbs and hung it around the sick childs neck.  This was what grandma called asafoetida bag.  She said the bag stank so bad, no one would come close enough to you to catch your cold.

Superstition or good gardening advice?

Grandpa says that if the corn isn't
Knee high
by 4th of July

it won't be a good crop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users