• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#61 snap43nib

snap43nib

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 08:36 PM

I'm not superstitious as far as breaking a mirror, walking under a ladder, black cats and 13 goes, but I am superstitous in the fact that I try to never wear anything havin got do with a sports team the day they play, when I do they tend to lose.  Along with other wierd things like little things that you do can somehow screw up the course of events that will play out in the rest of your life.  I dunno how to explain it exactly, its wierd, it may be more obsessive compulsive than superstitious I don't know.
I'm trapped in my American Nightmare Running Scared.

#62 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 March 2004 - 11:44 AM

it our culture we have supoerstitions like, once we are leaving somewhere from home for a purpose, we are not supposed to turn back or not called back!

after eating, the plate needs to be removed before the person leaves home, because the "purpose" for which he is leaving is supposed to be "under the plate" :D gosh!!!

Crows bring in unwanted guests or even Death :o
Posted Image

#63 Catlara

Catlara

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  • Interests:Lots!~lol

Posted 20 March 2004 - 07:59 PM

I have superstitions, but never stick to them... (lol) If I do something one day, and that day is a good one, I'll keep doing it until the luck runs out... then I start something new!

#64 softy-girl

softy-girl

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:03 PM

Hey!  I glad to see I'm not the only 'haunted' by a number. Mine is 222.  No kidding!  Be going on now for years!  Wake up in the middle of night look at the clock 2:22.  Flying along look at the DME (distance measuring equipment) 222, etc.. I figure I'm gonna die on Feb. 22.

I have two numbers that always pop up for me they are 3 & 6 and whatever they show up in they are in 3's  like 333 or 666.
You don't have to see it to believe it!

#65 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 03:56 AM

yes 6 pops up for me too and another is 5. Well, I consider them to be my lucky numbers too, but I also have great affinity for 666. Infact my mobile number is a 666 one :D 90666 that is......
Posted Image

#66 Tristan

Tristan

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Location:x0|Dark side of the moon|USA||0|0|x0|Dark side of the moon|USA||0|0|

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:12 PM

Many superstitions are based on very mundane elements. Walk under a ladder and something on the ladder might fall on you - like a paint can or a person - or you might bump your head. Break a mirror and you might be cut. You might trip over a black cat and break your elbows. :D

Some superstitions began when something bad happened after a certain individual did a certain thing, or saw a certain thing - and then this person warned others about it. Perhaps a black cat crossed someone's path once and a stroke of bad luck befell him. So he told others that it is bad luck for a black cat to cross one's path. And it caught on.

Regarding the number 13, some of you are right on: the fear of 13 is based on the witches coven, which consisted of 13 people. But then, so was Christ and his 12 disciples. ;)

#67 MoonChild

MoonChild

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,400 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:44 PM

WELCOME TO GV Tristan. Hope you enjoy the stay and join in sharing your experiences..

lol, you got a point there, something happened to someone somewhere sometime! ooppps is that way too complicated? afterall its all in our mind ;D
Posted Image

#68 Ravenwood

Ravenwood

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:31 PM

Hello Tristan.Salt.It was a precious commodity once.to spill it would bring bad luck financially.---Anyone heard about dropping a fork means a woman is comming to visit,Dropping a knife means a man is comming etc?

#69 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 11:01 AM

Usually the fourteenth floor is the thirteenth.  So I guess you're right.  Be afraid of BOTH.  VERY VERY AFRAID!  ;D

No BAD_WORD, dude. Here in China, the number 4 is considered the most unlucky of all numbers. The reason why is because in Chinese 4 is 'SI' which is also the same sound (but different tone) of 'death'. That is why there are a lot of buildings here that will not have a fourth floor, lol. But the building that I currently live in goes one or two steps further...it not only does not have a fourth floor, but has also cut out the 13 AND 14 floor! So although I live on the 15th floor, it's really only a 12 story building!
[smiley=cwm12.gif]

Also, since childhood I've learned that you are to never whistle in the dark...that invites demons to come out and get ya!  [smiley=cwm31.gif]And my grandmother always tells me that when 'moss' forms on the moon, it will rain the next day.

But the number I always see is 23. After my college roomate told me that once you notice the number 23, you will ALWAYS see it everywhere! lol Supposedly it means the 2 stands for a woman and the 3, a man. Add them together and you get 5, the number of people...lol. But I have NO problems with 13...hence why I have that number after my name! ;D To me, 13 has always been lucky, so take THAT, supersitions!  :D

#70 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 02:45 AM

OH, and I have one more superstition to add...has anyone ever heard of the one where if 13 people gather around the dinner table, that one of them will die in a year's time?? That's actually happened to me...lol. I was at a dinner party with some of my father's friends, and well, two weeks later, the friend of my father's (who was also there at the dinner) had died suddenly. Don't know if it was the superstition, but that makes me so not want to ever hold a dinner party with only 13 people present! ;D

#71 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 02:09 PM

I believe that goes back to the story of the Last Supper where Jesus and the 12 ate their Passover meal right before Judas had him turned over
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#72 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 04:01 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought too, lol. ;D But still kinda freaky since it DID happen to me! lol

#73 Katz

Katz

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 06:48 AM

ok i don't know if this has been said, i don't think so since i don't think it's that common but about three years ago when i was talking to a friend she hit her elbow off of something by accident and then because of a superstition she hit the other elbow. i don't know why this is a superstition that you have to hit the other elbow if you hit your elbow off of something but ever since then i've had this superstition.
i've also heard that if you break a mirror you shouldn't move a single piece or even touch the broken mirror for 7 hours. this way you'll only receive 7 hours bad luck instead of 7 years

#74 snoopymom

snoopymom

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:27 AM

Another reason behind the 13 at a dinner party has to do with the fact that most people collect service for 12 with their find dinner ware.  If you only have 12 place settings, someone would be excluded from eating on the "good dishes"

How about the supersition about rocking an empty rocking chair.  That is something forbidden in my home.  I have heard two versions of this story (1) that it would count out the number of years left in your life and (2) that it would invite spirits into your home.
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. --Charles SchulzPosted Image

#75 shellas13

shellas13

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 04:43 AM

Wow, snoopymom, I had never heard of that one, the rocking chair, I mean, lol. I feel kinda bad now cause I rocked one once when I was a dumb kid, lol. Don't know how many times it rocked back and forth tho..hopefully it was in the high 80's! ;D

And thank you for clarifying the 13 at a dinner party...never knew that either! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users