Free Skins
© Fisana

Photo

Ghost ships,fact or sea fairing superstition ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Prometheus

Prometheus

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:13 PM

We have recently discussed the Q'ie II,and its related haunting but what about ships that are ghosts themselves ?.
I think everyone has heard the tale of the Flying Dutchman,
but there are alot of others that rival The Dutchman in notarity.I will give a few examples and leave the discussion as to validity of these phantoms.

The Western Reserve-Sank April 1892.Seen off of Deer Park,MI.Often on foggy nights.

The W.H. Gilcher-Sank 1892 also on lake Superior.Appears every 7 years in the strait of Mackinac

The Dash-Casco Bay,ME.Sank in 1912.In 1942 while U.S. and Brittish ships were on patrol of the bay,the were approached by a ship.The approaching ship failed to heed all warnings form the military ships and was fired upon.A witness on shore spotted the approaching ship and saw the upon her bow,it was "The Pride".The Pride had been a pirate ship sunk 30 years earlier in the area.The witness stated the ship was "Full a sail " and no hands were visable on deck.The ship disappeared in the smoke of the gun fire.

The Pride-1864,Galveston Bay.Confederate blockade runners report that while in Galveston Bay,a schooner came bearing down on them out of the fog.As the ship passed,it appeared to bathed in a blue light.All hands were visbale on deck and
were working the sails,they payed no attention to the confederate ship.The crew of the Pride were described to be
wounded but had "eyes of dead men".The Pride passed by and vanished into the fog.

Are these superstition,ghosts,or are they ships that pass out of the past to briefly appear in the present ?.

#2 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 09 July 2004 - 06:39 PM

interesting topic prom. i've heard alot about the flying dutchman but never abouty those other ones
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#3 cryptkeeper

cryptkeeper

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:36 PM

Hey you all forgot one of the best known ghost ships and regularly seen more often than the Flying Dutchman.  This ship is the Mary Celeste.

This ship was found to be floating off the coast of the Cape of Good Hope.  When she was boarded everything seemed normal.  The galley still had food plates set on the table.  Childrens toys were still found in the middle of the floor of their cabins.  It was as if the crew and passengers just simply vanished.  She is said to still be floating around out there in the sea.  To hear more about the Mary Celeste watch the movie "Ghost Ship".

Crypt

#4 ladygrim

ladygrim

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:05 AM

to me a ship being haunted ... thats ok
but when it comes to ghostships its puzzling because to me a a ghost is the soul of something and when the bloody hell has a ship had one /????

#5 Prometheus

Prometheus

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:07 PM

Well Lady,the ship obviously has no soul and therefore,you are correct.Ghost ships,if they exsist,are not sustained by
the ship itself but manifested by the souls onboard the vessel.

#6 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:14 PM

I think a ghost ship is possible

#7 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:40 PM

There are dozens of tales of ghost ships from the Great Lakes region.

http://www.prairiegh...om/glgship.html

http://www.winterste...GhostShips.html

#8 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:44 PM

Maybe these could be related to reality shifts?

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#9 cryptkeeper

cryptkeeper

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:59 PM

Milegone,

I see you used one of the articles off Prairieghosts lol.  How uniques seeing as how thats the Society I am with lol.  Troy Taylor's American Ghost Society lol. Small World. I saw the link and had to laugh.

Ghost ship do and have occurred.  There are many stories throughout history about Ghost Ships.  Yes it may be true they are sustained by the souls on board or it may be a reality shift.

But not to jump track but what about animal ghosts?  Animals do not have a soul either but their ghosts do come back.  A ghost ship is what we call a "Transportation Apparition".  This type of apparition could be that of a train, car, bus ship.

Have cases I have investigated where someone was killed in a horrible car accident and the car had no soul but yet you could still see it driving down the road on its way to eternity.  You could hear the crunching of metal as it crashed. You could literally smell the smells you smell after a car wreck (oil, antifreeze, gas etc.) So basically a soul is not really required to be an appariton.

Sorry had to express that.  

Crypt

#10 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:40 PM

Sorry Ray I loved that story from Prairieghosts lol

#11 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:44 AM

Animals don't have souls???

Sorry, but I believe all living things have souls.  It's the soul that gives them their unique personality.  I would hate to think all the love from my cats and bunnies were programmed into their DNA.

I think transportation aparitions may be projections of those who died in the vehicle - it's part of their reality.  The deceased believe the car / train / boat is there so strongly that the living see it too.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#12 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 11:48 AM

Yep. Not only do I believe that animals have souls, I believe that even inanimate objects can acquire them, especially if they are loved or created with loving intent( I think this may be the reason for many of the stories of 'possessed' toys).  This isn't a totally revolutionary idea, it's well-known in Shinto, for instance.  Though the idea that apparitions of vehicles can be simply because of the belief of the living spirits in them seems to me a good possibility, too.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#13 cryptkeeper

cryptkeeper

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 03:38 PM

Milegone its not big deal I just thought it was funny someone on here heard of prairie ghosts lol.

Sorry Aloha and Yosei, I typed that the wrong way lol.  I meant to say it is thought that animals do not have souls, oops my boo boo lol

#14 Caesar

Caesar

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:00 PM

:D

#15 Anathema

Anathema

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:19 PM

I dunno if ghost ships exist, but I think the actual prospect is friggin awesome!
I think that if a ship like Mary celeste had people on board that vanished, that their souls will connect with the ship as the last place they had memories of and possibly still operate the ship as if they were alive, also not knowing they are dead.
Posted Image<== To the Blackwater Park

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users