Attention skeptics

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:19 PM

It is odd that it seems sometimes that people can be singled out as to being the witness to the phenomena they report. One one particular investigation I helped on I was with four other people in a narrow hallway, and while none of the others experienced anything I distinctly felt as if I had grabbed an electric fence at one point. I didn't tell anybody what I experienced until later - I was hoping that if I had the experience (there was no source of electricity at all to account for it) that perhaps somebody else would, and then I could corroborate my own experience with theirs.

And I've seen this with others, too. It's one of those enigmas that makes me wonder why only certain people can have the experience while others don't. It does seem to suggest some type of telepathy is involved, but why it only can affect one person in the presence of others who do not share it really makes me want to know what kind of mechanism is at work.

Liking how this thread is going...gets the noodle going.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#77 Enderfay

Enderfay

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:57 AM

She only saw an indistinct flash of light while I clearly saw a native american run across the street in front of us.

But you still 'both still shared in the experience' to a certain capacity Retro, which is most interesting indeed.

Re. the apparent ability to experience things where other do not: perhaps it is as simple a matter as heightened senses attuned - or, possibly, sporadically tuning in and out of - whatever wavelength ghosts exist on ? (I cannot believe I've actually said that in such a simplistic fashion, but this is - very, very basically - what I'm getting at!! Lol!!!)

With regards to personal experience - I pretty much always seem to be 'facing in the wrong direction' when it comes to potential 'shared experiences'. It's a long-standing joke with people who know me!! In the event of my actually facing in the right direction, I see nothing of interest!?

I've been present at a number of (alleged) ghost sightings in the past, but - as stated - my eye's are almost 'always' pointing in the wrong direction to actually share in the experience! (Or 'not share in the experience', of course, given the topic of conversation!! Lol !!) See Below (taken from a 'light' report written about our visit to a site):

"Standing on the path, talking amongst ourselves casually, Steve suddenly lets out an almighty, startled cry – scaring the life out of yours truly, who was facing in the opposite direction at the time!

Following a query as to what had happened, Steve reports having turned slightly to look over his left shoulder – whereupon he instantly spotted a ‘figure’ standing immediately behind him!! He subsequently describes what he saw as taller than Frazer (in excess of 6 feet) and grey in colour. Only having a fleeting glimpse, he could say little more, save for the fact that there was something like a long, ‘cloak’ effect to the form and that it was standing completely still.

While Steve is still recovering – and in the period when endeavouring to explain what he had seen - Frazer clearly appears mildly agitated about something……

Interestingly, it turns out that - just prior to the sighting - Frazer clearly heard a brief, rustling sound. He described it as ‘akin to the sort of noise made by flapping fabric’, which was seemingly originating from directly behind Steve. This occurred at 11.25 p.m.

Frazer suddenly says out loud: “If that was you with us there – please come back………”

Steve instantly reacts again and – most unlike him - appears to try and flee the area in which we are standing! It transpires that, as Frazer delivered his question, Steve saw a figure situated some 8 or so feet away, apparently moving quickly towards the group……… I happen to be looking in the direction of the church / Castle gate at this exact time, but see nothing at all.

Steve is all too evidently shaken by the encounter for some while after. A description of the figure is givenSteve's drawing of the viewed figure as: Appearing to have some form of diamond / net type pattern to it’s clothing and most probably female. It appeared to be wearing something akin to a ‘Dracula-esque’ collar – i.e. the collar wings sticking out – and it had straight shoulders……… Steve gets a feeling of the ‘Tudor’ period associated with the form. Because of this, I suggest that the previously mentioned patternation of the clothing might have been reminiscent of the padded, diamond designs that you frequently see associated with the period. However, Steve says the effect wasn’t padded, but more like ‘engraved’………

In comparing both of the figures recently witnessed, Steve states that he believes they were not the same form. The 2nd figure appeared smaller than the 1st and the 1st lacked the detail that the 2nd had shown. He now laments the fact that he hadn’t tried to view the 2nd figure for longer, instead of attempting to escape it!

Of considerable note is the peculiar fact that Steve says he couldn’t see the head of the 2nd figure? (Note* In this, he is not stating that the form was necessarily headless, but, in the brief time that he saw it, he didn’t actually ‘notice’ a head). Interestingly, such details certainly fit in with some of the historic figures directly associated with the site".

Best wishes to all,

Enderfay

Edited by Enderfay, 13 March 2009 - 03:01 AM.

"How can you ever hope to win against someone who doesn't even know the rules of the game?"

#78 Retro

Retro

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

It is odd that it seems sometimes that people can be singled out as to being the witness to the phenomena they report. One one particular investigation I helped on I was with four other people in a narrow hallway, and while none of the others experienced anything I distinctly felt as if I had grabbed an electric fence at one point. I didn't tell anybody what I experienced until later - I was hoping that if I had the experience (there was no source of electricity at all to account for it) that perhaps somebody else would, and then I could corroborate my own experience with theirs.

And I've seen this with others, too. It's one of those enigmas that makes me wonder why only certain people can have the experience while others don't. It does seem to suggest some type of telepathy is involved, but why it only can affect one person in the presence of others who do not share it really makes me want to know what kind of mechanism is at work.

Liking how this thread is going...gets the noodle going.

Why does it seem like scientists are rarely ever interested in the mundane "hmm, I wonder..." things the average joe thinks about? lol

I wouldn't know where to begin to analyze and test the "sense" of someone elses' presence. I have heard it try to be explained (by laypeople) such as sensing a pressure differential in the room using bernoulli (sp?) or archimede's observation of displacement and positive pressure flow of fluids. I have heard explanations like you can feel their heat or even hear internal body noises (even though not consciously.) I have heard people theorize about some simple echolocation (obviously using some mechanism that we have yet to observe.) All of these theories make some sense (to a layman like me), I guess. But I don't think I have ever seen it officially studied.

However, if it was entirely natural like that, you would think that most people would experience at least some part of it.

As far as telepathy, I would say we have had at least 'some' science going behind that. Or at least more a little practical application of it vs. actually understanding the mechanism. The military has put money into it and supposedly even has declassified training in it (not that the government doesn't just waste money sometimes...lol) *Supposedly* Russian scientists worked on psyonic amplifiers and such during the early cold war years (though that could have all been propoganda to intimidate the U.S.) At any rate, we do know that the brain does emit extremely weak signals and being lots of electricity and "wiring" we know we radiate something and we disturb other transmissions and fields...lol - I sound like a goof with all this. So, my point is that we at least partially understand how we can emit, but not how we can receive and decipher.

I am a 100% believer in these types of abilities, but I look at them as less magical and more a natural occurrence that we simply don't understand yet. As far as intelligent after-life, that is considered the far-off goal to me. I think we need to study and understand many more basic things before we can even try to get to that point. And perhaps that is where we are stalling. Everyone is going after the end-goal straight on and ignoring the steps to get there.

#79 Retro

Retro

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:55 PM

That would drive me nuts, Enderfay! I am often on the other side of that.

I think I might be understanding my position more and more due to all these great discussions.

It seems like I am less skeptical of logically described personal experiences than I am of EVP, photo, or video evidence. I always seem to find fault with the physical evidence.

This does seem very counter-intuitive, I know. But, since I am leaning more and more towards these experiences taking place within the mind, it seems to make some sense.

Now, what it doesn't explain, however, are the kinetic experiences such as physical objects being thrown, lights being turned on and off, etc... I haven't experienced many of these types of activities, but there is absolutely NO logical explanation for my rolling pin incident for example. It did happen and there was no way that rolling pin was with us on that camping trip (you can see this experience in the thread linked above in post #75) Telepathy doesn't explain that. Of course, to even try to ponder it, one must assume that I am telling the truth in the first place. I am, of course, but that statement alone means nothing. So, we are right back at the original topic. :Wall:

Again, I believe there an enormous amount of 'little things' we need to come to understand before we can try to understand the big stuff.

Edited by Retro, 13 March 2009 - 11:59 PM.

#80 Enderfay

Enderfay

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

That would drive me nuts, Enderfay! I am often on the other side of that.

Well Retro - it sort of drives me nuts .... and then, on the other hand, it doesn't!?!?

For a bit of personal satisfaction, I would very much like to experience something - at long last - that I could say was a possible 'ghost sighting'. On the other hand, my lack of experiences in the field certainly add to my ability to remain 'objective' when considering other peoples experiences. I honestly don't think I could do this as clearly if I'd actually experienced something myself at some point(??)

It's amusing to relate that my friends / associates all seem to treat me as if I've got something wrong with me because I haven't had an experience...... usually with a 'Don't worry, you'll see something one day!!' sentiment and a firm, reassuring pat on the back!! Lol!!!

Regards,

Enderfay
"How can you ever hope to win against someone who doesn't even know the rules of the game?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users