15 replies to this topic

#1 Cindy

Cindy

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 07:49 AM

Im sure you've all read the story..

Some chick has a beehive hair-do and never takes it down..sleeps a special way and everything.Used mountians of hair spray and everything.Wakes one morning with a little itchy scalp..it gets worse..she begins to scratch severly eventually looking in the mirror only to find her hair invested with millions of tiny spiders makeing a home out of her hive..

All a gross urban ledgend but honestly it made my skin crawl..lol.Im a serious archnaphobe(sp?)!!
~*Lifes Blessings*~ ~*Cindy*~

#2 softy-girl

softy-girl

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 08:33 AM

I have heard that one. I have heard one about the spider who laid eggs on a girl's face before too. I am in the same boat with you Cindy. I am horribly afraid of spiders. The people on Maury Povich who have aracnaphobia are calm compared to me. I have been know to pass out before because of one.
You don't have to see it to believe it!

• Guests

Posted 23 October 2002 - 02:18 PM

Yup, arachnophobia here too :o. I have a rule in my house pertaining to spiders. If the spider in question is employable, such as a daddy long legs, it can have some space in my house. If it is the size of a quarter or over, it must reside outside. If one of the bloody things crawls on me, it forfeits it's life >:D.

#4 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 08:22 PM

Actually that was prooven it cant happan same with this urben legen:

There is a forest fire, and of course they send planes to scoop up water from a lake or river to drop on the forest, after the forest is put out eventually,  they find a scuba mask. Now what the hell would a scuba mask be doing in the middle of a forest which is now ash, well the look up and see the corpse of a scuba diver in a tree. What happand was when one of the planes dunked into the river or lake they snatched a diver and droped him accidently into the forest wich killed him. Its been prooven that it could not have happend. (I saw a documentry on Urban legends about a couple months ago.

#5 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 08:25 PM

Why would you be scared of somthing that is so tiny?

Step on it Boom its gone. you have intelligence, size strength and Feet. a spider stands no chance against you.

But I dont have any phobias so I cant completly understand it. same with Clusterphobia. My uncle has that and i dont understand how someone could be scared to death of a small room.  

• Guests

Posted 23 October 2002 - 10:32 PM

BK, sometimes phobias come about through a traumatic experience. For instance if someone had been locked or trapped in a small space and it was traumatic for them, they could be fearful of having that happen to them again, so any small space would bring on the trauma. My son and brother are fearful of spiders bc they have been bitten by brown recluses and in my brothers case he spent 7 days in the hosp. and almost died. My son almost lost his finger. Just bc something is smaller than us does not in any way mean that it can't take us down. My spider thing happend bc we lived in a barn that had been converted to a house and around 1968 or 69 there was a huge earthquake that hit Los Angeles  in the early morning and the jarring motion knocked hundreds of baby spiders that had been in the rafters on to my face :o. After that the earthquake was  nothing to me. I did kill every spider I saw after that, but at some point came to realize that it was no longer necessary for me to do that. Spiders are a part of the web of life so I made a deal with them, instead of taking their lives just bc I can.

Next fear I need to work on is heights.....someone said I need to jump out of a perfectly good airplane to overcome this fear ??? :o.

#7 Cindy

Cindy

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 05:16 AM

Val..a converted barn?That must be beautiful..how lucky!I onced worked with a nurse who lived in a converted chicken coop..lol..it was huge and such a nice house.

Bk..Vals right phobias happen for diffent reasons.My fear of spiders comes from having been forced to hold a tarnacula as a child on a school field trip.I also have a sever fear of snakes..why Im not sure.Just always have.I literally go into a crying fit as soon as I see one.My theroy is its left over memory from a previous life..

Just because you or should I say we are bigger  then a spider does not mean we have the right to kill it.It has its purpose in this world and left alone it will do as its meant to.So dear ol' hubby just scoops them up and outside they go.Im not a fan of the..Im bigger so I can theroy about anything..
~*Lifes Blessings*~ ~*Cindy*~

#8 softy-girl

softy-girl

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 07:49 AM

I don't know where my fear of spiders came from. I guess it came being bitten. I was bitten four times on the back of the neck in the same night by the same spider (I think) when I was in the third grade. Also, I guess it could have come from the fact that my sis used to pick them up and throw them at me. I don't know.
You don't have to see it to believe it!

#9 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 06:02 PM

I am terrified of heights and have been since I was about 5 years old, don't know why, one day I wasn't the next day I was, my grandfather's tried to figure that out for over 20 yrs now.  Next biggest fear is the dark, I sleep with lights on and the whole bit my electric bill is HUGE and I dont' make my kids shut off their lights either I will shut it off after they are deep asleep but there is still some light from what I leave on.
Posted Image

Myspace

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

• Guests

Posted 27 October 2002 - 12:26 AM

I keep the bathroom light on for the kids(yeah right ::D) at night....and a couple of other lights here and there just bc ;).

My fear of heights came from almost falling about 9,000 ft off of the Zugspitze(sp) Mt. in Germany when I was 17 :o. Before that I was famous for jumping off of roofs using various items (like sheets ::)) as psuedo parachutes. Now I can't go 4 rungs up a ladder without my knees knocking together :o.

Cindy, the barn was beautiful, and it still smelled like horses :). Wish I could find another one like it.

#11 Black_Knight

Black_Knight

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 05:55 PM

Point well taken.

I love hights. If i'm very high and look up or down I get a weird feeling it freaks me out but I dont let it stop me from doing fun things like rope walking. THATS fun

We had two ropes that crossed each other so eventually down the line you had to switch ropes to get to the other side. lol was fun.  Of course we are all hooked up to ropes so if we fell we would only swing around but still gives the rush.  It was pretty high too.

• Guests

Posted 16 July 2003 - 11:11 AM

Im taking psyhcology at university and one theory as to why we are scared of things like spiders and snakes comes from our evolutionary past. From a time when these things were a big threat to us  *shrugs* or so says my lecturer lol

#13 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 17 July 2003 - 04:36 PM

I've heard these legends, but different versions.  The beehive hairdo lady had cockroaches residing in her hair, the eggs under the skin of the face was ants.  Oh yeah...and the earwig thing....<shudder>  Crawling in the ear.  

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#14 Guest_Ghostbuter20_*

Guest_Ghostbuter20_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:10 PM

I have a fear of birds, be the fake kind or the kinds you find in natural history museums. I think it rooted from when me, my mother, aunt and cousin were in some shopping area in the Plaza anywhere between '83-'85, and there were huge, and I'm talking MASSIVE birds hanging from the ceiling. They weren't real birds; too big, but just being under those birds for that short time gave me a lifetime commitment of freaking out. I went to Springfield with a (now ex)friend and we went to some kind of hunting lodge where there were dead, stuffed birds ALL OVER THE PLACE! As soon as we entered, I put the hood of my jacket on and did not take it off until we left. I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I will NEVER go there again!

#15 Dark Moon

Dark Moon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 06:33 PM

Speaking of spiders, has any of you seen the movie 'Arachnophobia'?
"I am BAD_WORD confident anyone who stands up and calls out to The Hell positively is in for a huge change in life."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users