Who's end of the World?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:30 AM

I just have a question for any member who may not follow the 'Christian' path.
It seems as though most European mythos--mainly Christians--have an End Time or End of the World scenario. In fact, many wish it would come asap. As for me, I'm not going down without a fight.
Anyway, how does everyone else like Hindu, Animist, Wiccans and Re-incarnationist veiw this topic, or does it even come up in your beliefs?

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#2 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:43 AM

I am a Hindu, and we do have the "end of the world" scenario as well, we believe the world ends with The Great Flood - only to start the cycle all over again.
Posted Image

#3 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:01 AM

I am a Hindu, and we do have the "end of the world" scenario as well, we believe the world ends with The Great Flood - only to start the cycle all over again.

As I understand the concept of Samsara, would this apply to just the second and third level of reincarnation or to all four?

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#4 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:35 AM

~Heck, these past couple of years I have no idea what religion I believe in....I like a little something in all of them. I know there are those out there that believe the world is coming to an end...there are those that don't. I happen to be one of those that it just doesn't matter. There's another topic floating around here that has something to do with 2012 and I've talked about what I feel there. The same applies here too.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#5 Flormarina

Flormarina

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Interests:I love poetry, and photography, music and oil painting, in general I love nature, with all its splendour and glory. The paranormal has been one of my favourites hobbies.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:12 AM

I really donīt put too much thought to the end of the world, I guess you are talking about the end of the planet call Earth.
I believe that every one will have their end in this world, some believe they will live on in the after life, some others rather think that this is the end of all. To me to know that we will not last forever, is great, I donīt think I would like to live in this world for all eternity, there is so much confusion and pain, so much evil... but I believe that there is good too... but good or evil... one of the greatest gifts we had received is the redemption from what we call "life". The best we can do is not to think too much about how is going to end and enjoy the walk we got in this world with our love ones, our friends, and nature itself... and if we get to see the last show on Earth, well, that would be a plus!!! :)
Posted ImageFlormarinaIf you got something to tell the world, write a book....

#6 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:21 AM

I really donīt put too much thought to the end of the world, I guess you are talking about the end of the planet call Earth.
I believe that every one will have their end in this world, some believe they will live on in the after life, some others rather think that this is the end of all. To me to know that we will not last forever, is great, I donīt think I would like to live in this world for all eternity, there is so much confusion and pain, so much evil... but I believe that there is good too... but good or evil... one of the greatest gifts we had received is the redemption from what we call "life". The best we can do is not to think too much about how is going to end and enjoy the walk we got in this world with our love ones, our friends, and nature itself... and if we get to see the last show on Earth, well, that would be a plus!!! :)

I don't put much stock in any of the current 'The end is near' theories. I am just very interested in how the rest of the world looks at how this Path ends in their faith.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#7 cotton08

cotton08

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrub nurse, I have a rescued black lab and another puppy that's half black lab and half Chihuaha (sp?) - strange looking dog, but sweet. I became interested in EVP when my fiance passed. - I wrote about that somewhere else in my profile. (my real name's Connie)<br /><br />I like to swim, go to flea markets and antique malls - I am OBSESSED with anything from the 40's. Don't know why.<br /><br />I use poems, music lyrics, whatever, and make strangely beautiful, poignant 'pieces' out of paper, ripped up towels, glue, newspaper, jewelry, glitter, dirt, sand, anything I happen to see. Hard to describe, you'd just have to see them. That's my favorite thing to do, just create something out of nothing that makes people laugh or cry - brings them outta themselves for a while.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:34 AM

When I was Southern Baptist, they told us that the world was ending any day now and we better shape up, cuz all hell's going to break loose and there's no telling where we'd end up.

When I was United Methodist, they told us that God isn't going to hurt us and cause a big production, but it IS coming and pretty soon.

When I was Presbyterian, they told us that it would happen in the blink of an eye. We'd be here, then we'd be in Heaven, no drama.

Now I'm Catholic and they don't talk about it. They teach us how to act now, for our own happiness and that of others, no threats of impending doom.

Then there's global warming, and some of those people think we're going to end life on Earth through our own greed.

But you asked what we think. I don't worry about it. I think that the fighting going on reflects what's in Revelations, but I don't read it and don't pay it no mind. My mother says that people have been saying the end is near ever since she can remember, it's no new thing for people to talk about. If it happens, it happens. Personally, if I was God and had to witness and hear all the crap He has to witness, I'd have blown us all up a long long long time ago. I couldn't take it.

#8 Puti

Puti

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Interested in life in all it's forms

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

I know you asked for non-Christian views but..... raised Catholic, there's a simple prayer learned as a child (the Glory be) that mentions "world without end".
Also, I attended a metaphysical type church that is all inclusive and the Book of Revelation is read in a whole different way than the fundamentalist or literalist read. It is full of hope.
My end of the world will end some day but I never think of the world ending. I feel like that would be egotisical. ;-)
"We grow neither better or worse as we get old, but more like ourselves."May L. BeckerCoffee.......the foundation of consciousness

#9 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

As you can tell from the name of my sect (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), we believe these are the latter days. Jesus will return "soon", but only the Father knows when. Jesus' Second Coming will be preceded by many signs listed in Matthew 24 and the Revelation of St John.

I find it interesting that it is phrased the end of the world, instead of the end of the earth. LdS interpret it to mean the end of worldliness. The wicked will be destroyed. Jesus will personally reign on the earth for a thousand years of peace.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#10 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

:) In other posts I have said that I believe that we will go on for a very long time yet. The earth will end someday but it will be from a natural process and not as a judgement from a deity. There is no point in worrying or pondering the question for no other reason then What are we doing to speed up the process? and What can I do repair any damage that may be happening?

I am for lack of a better word an atheist but follow an Eastern philosophy to enrich my life. As a baby boomer we were buried in atomic war hysteria. As that problem seems to have eased some people are now looking for a new EOTW scenario such as Mayan Calenders, Armageddon for the fundamentalist Christians, Nostradamus, the Bible Code for some Jewish scholars, Yellowstone, Global Warming, Bird flu and other superflus...the list just goes on and on.

I vote for who cares. It will be long after my life, my children and great-great-great and so on grandkid's life times. If I get reincarnated again maybe I will start worrying then.

Sharon

#11 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

All things have cycles, but I think for a Being (whatever you call Her) that is eternal, Her soon is not our soon.
That being said, I watch a lot of people running around worried about 'what ifs?'. Having been around this ol' globe a couple of times, I've realized that I learned very little about the long view outside the Christian tradition.
The far eastern folks in particular live life fast but pray real slow. I just don't have much of an idea of what they see ahead, or if they even are all that concerned about it.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#12 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:22 AM

The far eastern folks in particular live life fast but pray real slow. I just don't have much of an idea of what they see ahead, or if they even are all that concerned about it.

I am curious about your statement about far eastern folks. Live life fast but pray slow. I have no idea what that means. Can you clear it up for me?

Sharon

#13 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,397 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

I am curious about your statement about far eastern folks. Live life fast but pray slow. I have no idea what that means. Can you clear it up for me?

Sharon

I would love to know that more, as well.
Posted Image

#14 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:25 PM

Sharon

I'm not sure whether or not it is that the people (especially in Asia around the south Pacific) live so close to each other, but they seem to live about three times faster than we do in the west. A crowd in Chicago or New York moves at a snail's pace compared to Manila or Tokyo. The impression is of constant motion.
But if you get a chance to get into one of thier Temples, you're struck by the immense weight of the past and tradition, and it seems that there is no time, and even though there's 10,000 people on the other side of the wall outside the gate, the peace and solitude inside is incredible.
Does this help?

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#15 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:28 AM

What ever you want to call it or who ever you do or don't believe in. when the end of time comes we all are going down.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users