• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VaGhostKid

VaGhostKid

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:42 PM

Okay so I don't know if any of you know, but in Diggs, Virginia there are a set of woods called Old House Woods. I have been several times and the woods are always at least 10 degrees colder than the surronding areas. I have also seen a white, flowing, object above the trees. I have also gotten a sudden feeling of dread and hopelessness while in the woods. Finally, as far as evidence, I have recorded spike to a "Caution" level on my EMF Meter. Never any danger, just caution.

Anyways, has anyone ever been? If so what have you seen? I love that area. I do Old House Woods and Rosewell all the time!

#2 campfire

campfire

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:27 AM

I've never been there but it sure sounds like a nice place to go to investigate.

#3 surfndestiny

surfndestiny

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:17 AM

Treasures of Old House Woods. Legend tell that the heavily forested Old House Woods, often referred to as Haunted Woods or the Black Forest by hunters, is the hiding place of several lost treasures worth millions of dollars. Old House Woods is a 50-acre patch of pine woods and marshlands on the east side of the tiny crossroads of Diggs in Mathews County northeast of Gloucester separated from the Chesapeake Bay by Whites Creek. The area was originally called Werowocomico by the Chiskiake Indians, and later Piankatank, bordered on the north by the Piankatank River, and was home to bustling seaports from the pre-Revolutionary through the Civil War era. There have been an extremely high number of reports of paranormal activity around Old House Woods and the surrounding creek waters, said to be one of the most haunted places in Virginia, with ghostly figures of ships, pirates, cavaliers, and witches, noises, and assaults on persons and vehicles, with the wind howling, trees bending and creaking, and the forest being very dark at night as the trees are so thick they virtually obscure any visible moon or stars. According to one of the treasure tales, a band of pirates buried their treasure in the woods on the banks of Whites Creek, and set out to acquire more, but were killed in a storm before they could ever retrieve it. It is thought that perhaps theirs is the phantom ship that is reputedly seen both hovering above the woods and in Whites Creek. Another well-known treasure story relating to the area tells of chests of treasure being sent to Jamestown from England by Charles II following the Battle of Worcester in 1651 in case he had to flee the country and go into exile. Due to stormy weather, the crew mistakenly went up the wrong creek and ended up instead at Whites Creek where they were attacked by bandits while unloading the chests. The robbers got away with some of the treasure, and the remainder was said to have been buried by the crew in the woods who planned to return for it, but their ship capsized in the storm and they were all lost. The advance party upon returning to report to the King what happened were put to death. Many have reported seeing in the woods ghost diggers with their lanterns ablaze at night in the vicinity, and attribute this to the story of the lost English treasure. Yet a third treasure story dates to later following the Revolutionary War in 1781 when a large cache of patriot plunder consisting of gold and silver coins, jewelry, and other valuables was buried in four large cannons at a graveyard near the mouth of Whites Creek in the Haunted Woods by soldiers under British General Cornwallis. This may be true as there is at least one old cemetery nearby, and Cornwallis likely passed through the vicinity on his flight from Greensboro to Wilmington, N.C., and to Yorktown, Virginia. Cornwallis and his men surrendered later that year with only 2,000 silver coins in a trunk found in their possession, and were held as prisoners until a prisoner exchange could be worked out. They were never permitted to return to reclaim any treasure. The area is named after an old house that was once located in the center of these haunted woods. It apparently caught fire once and put itself out, and then caught fire again later and burned to the ground. If you follow Old House Woods Road, or Rt. 704, going east, the road starts out paved with homes, and appears to end at the woods, but a dirt road continues into the woods all the way to Whites Creek, and this is still part of Old House Woods Road, riddled with potholes at last report.

#4 surfndestiny

surfndestiny

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

From the Paranormal Investigation Team of Tidewater website:

Mathews - Old House Woods - These stories have been passed down for a good 200 years. These instances have been recognized as the most bizarre psychic phenomena ever recorded. Anywhere from swash buckling pirates burring stolen gold; A ghost ship hovering over the woods; British soldiers hiding colonial treasure during the revolutionary war; A full Spanish galleon which vanishes in thin air;

Skeletons in knight’s armor wielding threatening swords; Mysterious groups of shovelers digging furiously late at night; to ghost horses and cows appearing and disappearing before your eyes. All of these and more have been seen at different times of the year. There has also been a rumor going around of a witch that lets off a green light flying through the trees. - February 2004 addition: 4 Eye-witnesses have vowed never to return to this area of land. The woods got their name from an old house that was in the center of them. The story behind the house is unknown at this time. The house caught on fire and then put its self out. Then a few years later it caught fire again and burned to the foundation. There is one spirit that comes up out of the water and walks along the beach towards the road. At first glance it is a rather grey glowing figure dressed in worn pirate style clothing if you are able to catch the face it is that of a skeleton. The Spanish Galleon that comes in from the water hovering over the beach and then above the woods. If you are on the beach and face the woods you can see the grove in the tree line as to where the ship docks. You can watch the ship hover there above the trees and watch as figures of men get off the ship. The whole wooded area lights up and you can hear digging and clanking of shovels.. There are 2 black headless dogs that will come out of the woods and chase you. As well as jump onto your vehicle or in the bed of your truck. The green light is truly astonishing. It is more like a ball of light. That is so intense it lights up everything it flashes 3 times for brief periods of time. but doesn't distort your night vision when it passes.. Usually when you see that light it is time to go. You have worn out your welcome on the beach. If you remain things will start to attack your vehicle. There are also accounts of people vanishing in those woods. They say that if you get too close to the treasure you never return. Various people over the years have gone in searching and never made it back.

#5 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:58 AM

Wow! All I can say after reading surfn's last couple o' posts is that this place has a very active and interesting history.

#6 OldHouseWoods

OldHouseWoods

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

I grew up in Mathews, I'm 33 now and live in Kansas due to being military. I have heard all the rumors about old house woods, but I can validate one for sure. When I was a child, I beleive I was about 12, I had never heard any of the ghost stories so my mind wasnt poisoned to see a shadow and think it was a ghost of "Old House Woods". I was with my parents one night during the summer and they went to a house just on the other side of the woods, behind what the locals call "shagtail", to check on an elderly couple that my mother took care of. Both of my parents went into the house and I waited in the car. I was there for about 15 minutes when off to the right, in the area of the infamous woods, I vividly saw an old ship coming in from the chesapeake bay, but it was floating probably 50 feet over the water. The ship floated over the shagtail, which is eroded away now, and up on the beach. It came to a stop between the shore and the woodline. I wasnt quite close enough to see such things like the boarding ladder or sailors, but I could accurately describe what I saw with great detail. It was wood, had 3 masts, and it was big. There were 2 short masts and one tall mast. I saw alot of ropes but no sails were up. It brought a fog with it and seemed colorless, sort of gray. It scared me enough that I locked the car doors and just watched it in disbelief. After a short time, I dont remember how long, maybe 5-10 minutes, the fog grew thicker and the ship just seemed to fade away. I was scared to death but I just cant explain why I didnt run into the house with my parents. A few minutes after the ship was gone my parents came out to the car. I told them in detail what I saw but they just blew it off as me just being a scared of the dark kid. I talked about the sighting for years and eventually they started to beleive that they may have been something to it since it made such an impact on me. I eventually heard about "Old House Woods" but not till quite some time after seeing the ship for myself. I would never be caught near that area after dark again, even to this day. Some years later, I think I was about 16, my mother showed me a book of haunted areas in Mathews. She pointed me to a page that spoke of Old House Woods and had a witness description of an old ship. The ship in the book was described in detail exactly how I described it to her. She said when she read it and saw the description that matched exactly what I told her about for years she had a whole new look on the paranormal and Old House Woods. This is 100% true, I have no reason to make it up. But I wanted to let others know that there are witnesses to the happenings in the woods, however I'm sure that many of the stories are untrue. Granted I dont remember the details as I did when I was younger, I still remember the basic desciption that I wrote in here. If anyone is going out there to check it out and wants more info feel free to contact me. It's been a long time but I will give you any help I can. I do remember right where I saw the ship but the area has eroded so much since then.

#7 surfndestiny

surfndestiny

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

old house woods @ strange USA

Recent goings on.......................

#8 surfndestiny

surfndestiny

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

The hyper linking doesn`t seem to work correct here..............

http://www.strangeus...p...Mathews VA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users