• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Morbid

Morbid

Thinks the jelly runs out of the peanut butter sandwich in head

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:33 AM

These days I'd have to say let him do what he's doing. People with closed minds will always have closed minds, and people with open minds will look into it. Also, this is a children's book. I personally remember stories about vampires that were like normal people but they did bad things. I got over it.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.The law of Chaos.

#17 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Trying not to step on the land mines that others have planted in front of me. No sense saying more, as this will be removed anyway.

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

Something else to be confused over. Wicca seems to be a pc term for "witch" or "witchcraft", which is just about as confusing as the number of folks you ask, practing or just an intellectual interest. It seems there as many books on the topic as there are authors, most claiming to expert authors, to some degree or another. I like to take a wide look at all the books I have on "witchcraft", which are quite a few, and take bits and pieces from various books, whatever I want to use them for. and go with what I want. What scaress me is folks that take this too seriously and get carried away with it and loose common sense in their behavior.

#18 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Trying not to step on the land mines that others have planted in front of me. No sense saying more, as this will be removed anyway.

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

Something else to be confused over. Wicca seems to be a pc term for "witch" or "witchcraft", which is just about as confusing as the number of folks you ask, practing or just an intellectual interest. It seems there as many books on the topic as there are authors, most claiming to expert authors, to some degree or another. I like to take a wide look at all the books I have on "witchcraft", which are quite a few, and take bits and pieces from various books, whatever I want to use them for. and go with what I want. What scaress me is folks that take this too seriously and get carried away with it and loose common sense in their behavior.

#19 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

No, Wicca is the name of a modern, neo-Pagan faith which incorporates Witchcraft. It's not a pc term. It's a religion's name.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#20 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

Problem comes with conflation - either wicca with witch, or witch witth wicca.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#21 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

Heh, as I've heard many a time, all Wiccans are witches, but not all witches are Wiccans.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#22 Morbid

Morbid

Thinks the jelly runs out of the peanut butter sandwich in head

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

Is this gonna turn into a logic problem? :hug:
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.The law of Chaos.

#23 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

Read the book and came away with a "thank God I didn't buy it first". Not an accurate presentation of "witches" or "Wicca" but will reinforce the misconceptions running around out there. Burn the book and maybe re-educated the author. :P

#24 Morraeon

Morraeon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:50 PM

Read the book and came away with a "thank God I didn't buy it first". Not an accurate presentation of "witches" or "Wicca" but will reinforce the misconceptions running around out there. Burn the book and maybe re-educated the author. :headbang:

Unfortunately, reeducating him isn't likely, unless a medium is involved; Roald Dahl passed away in 1990: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Roald_Dahl I guess it's one of those books like "Little Black Sambo", which hopefully will fade from people's memory -- and libraries -- as people become better educated and more accepting...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users