Are there any urban legends in Iowa or Nebraska

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bandit

bandit

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 01:23 AM

i have always been curious if there r any urban legends in iowa or nebraska if there is let me know i would be greatful

#2 rattie_lover

rattie_lover

Village Elder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 02:39 PM

heres one i heard and oh i'm from stormlake iowa, rasined in newell and alta. but here it goes.

it was said that the moonlight made scarecrows come to life and if kids were out at dark they would be eaten by the scarecrows and never be heard of again.

i think this was a scare thing to tell children so they would be in at night and not wondering around. if ya need more stories let me know i think i could get more seeing how my whole entire family is from iowa!
<: 3 )~.<-----rat, can u tell.love, nicolemy own website: http://nicolekruetzfeldt.tripod.com/

#3 Alsie R.

Alsie R.

Professional fist eater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:typical teenager...crazy, lazy, sarcastic chick with a lightning fast wit and temper. i am ALSIE GIRL! defender of truth, justice, and replacing the toliet paper roll!<br /><br /> seriously though. i like reading, writing, sleeping, rocking out, trying to find someone to sell my little sister to, and speech team.

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:44 PM

ever heard of the dark angel? i think its in iowa city in the oakland cemetery and i've never seen it, but here goes nothin:
in this cemetery, there is a large bronze monument. anyway, its made in in the mold of an angel, but the bronze blackened over age. supposedly, it gets a shade blacker every halloween. the statue is supposed to bring death to whoever touches it. some idiots decided to test the power by peeing on the statue. they were all involved in a four car accident later that night. its said that if you look into the statues eyes at midnight, a terrible curse will fall upon you. your lawn will turn brown, your kid won't get into harvard and worst of all, there will never be anything good on television.

leave it to an illinoisian to ruin a perfectly good urban legend/ghost story. lol aint i a stinker?
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a whileAmerican Pie, Don McLean~ carpe diem, seize the day, make your lives extraordinary.-dead poet's society i eat emo kids for breakfast. with french fried hash browns.

#4 Kacie

Kacie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

The Black Angel of Oakland Cemetery In Iowa City Iowa. The story I grew up with is that Teresa Feldevert had the statue made for her husband who died. Teresa promised to always be faithful to her husband and said so over his grave. It is said that when Teresa died the statue started to turn black as a sign of her infidelity. There are many stories about if you kiss or touch the angel you will die. I have been thru the cemetery many times at night (it was a short cut to a friends house) I have touched it and ummm I'm still here. THe cemetery is beautiful! The Angel is beautiful! At night there is a light by the angel that gives the area a very cool feeling. I say stop and see it if your ever in the area.

#5 KevinT

KevinT

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

The Black Angel in Council Bluffs' Fairview Cemetery has as many myths attached to it. I've been hearing stuff about it since I was a young child and it's all pretty silly in my opinion. Some are just outrageously stupid (the statue runs around the cemetery at night) to those that were probably encouraged by coincidental circumstances (pregnant woman having still born children after having touched the statue) and more accurately described as an 'old wives tale'.

You’re probably going to hear as many ‘urban legends’ as you are able to find people that are willing to believe in them.

I can tell you of a personal experience though. During the 2004 Autumnal Equinox I was working nights and drove past the statue and found 2 very disturbed individuals dancing in what I can only believe was their imitation of some occult celebration. Not very paranormal – but it was kind of creepy that someone would actually get out there and do that. :D

Feel free to come visit our website.

KevinT
Fly By Night Paranormal Investigations

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

#6 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

It seems to me that as a kid visiting relatives in Spillville, IA there was some sort of story about the park there. I'll have to ask my cousin since I just don't remember.

Chad Lewis and Terry Fisk have some good books out - haunted road guides to various states. I have the one for Wis., Minn., and S.D. but not Iowa. I don't know if there is one for Nebraska though. These books list various legends and what they found out in their research. I'd check out your local library to see if they have them. Otherwise, pm me and I'll give you their website so you can order one if you want.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#7 xman

xman

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:00 PM

There's a place called Vigors Cemetary near Stratford IA. It's on a gravel road. It is said that if you roll down the hill three times and look up you'll see the stair way to heaven. It is also said when you visit anytime of the day and your about to leave your car won't start. I've been there once and will never go back.It is a very old cemetary.
Another place is near Homer IA. Gypsy's used to settle near there.The story I heard was that one of the ladies gave birth. Baby died. Gypsy's were leaving,she stayed behind cause she couldn't bare leaving her child, brought milk to the grave everyday. It is said that you can hear the cry of the mother to this day at an unmarked grave. Don't know, never been there.

#8 Thefallen

Thefallen

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

There are more than what you think, usually alot of the old german areas and danish have them. Alot of the towns in eastern iowa along the rivers or the train tracks seem to have quite a few. Mars cemetary in souther Iowa has a lot of negative ones along with the ax murder house. Just have to know who to ask and the right questions, locals don't say much because they don't want people snooping around it seems, usually gets past down through familys or the area. Have a lot of old native american sites in the woods, one time a friend and I went camping he placed a corner of his tent on part of an unknown indian mound and steaked it in and i place mine five feet away, well during the night he and the others said they heard weird noises all through the night and a storm blew through which toppeled the top of the tree on his tent and the others while mine was nice and dry, nothing wrong and i do not lie, i just show a little more respect. so there are some more on the internet, haunted heartland or something like that has them along with others. Just have to ask the write questions and get to them before the state or contractors do.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users