Route 666

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:25 PM

Well, in 2003 they offically changed it from US 666 to US 491. So it remains to be seen if the legends associated with this stretch of road were based on the numbering (which was never really a mistake) or if there was something more. Sometimes stretches of road where a high number of accidents take place over a period of time take on a layer of aprehension and fantastic tales.

(and JR...this is the Urban Legends board. Most of the stuff found here is just that. Legend. :ghost: )

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#17 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:24 PM

I have driven Route 666 on my way to Oklahoma. My family was with us we were in a Ryder van. I was more worried about driving a Ryder into Oklahoma which was just after Timothy McVeighs blowing up of the Mcmurrah Building.

We did not encounter anything on the road, there was some very beautiful scenery though.

My only recollections of anything bad was when we finally made it to Shiprock, we stopped for gas and food and had to fight off the indians trying to sell us trinkets to get back to the vehicle. lol
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#18 no1plumbrr

no1plumbrr

Would let the taxpayers foot the bill to go to a GV convention

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:DENISE
    ghosts, aliens, and anything crazy.

FEARS: clowns and now BEP, thanks guys you rock ! ;)

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:42 PM

I myself have road on route 666, was in the day time, on a greyhound bus, had two nuns sitting by me. felt protected
In love with an awesome woman
SHALOM my friends !

#19 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:25 PM

666 is a route number? I thought it was a speed limit sign.

Actually US 666 and US 191 are two separate highways. Highway 191 runs from Douglas, AZ at the Mexican border north into Montana. Highway 666 runs from Gallup, NM north, ending at Monticello, UT where it connects with 191.

I was referring to this excerpt BTW!

"Originally named in 1926, it was the sixth branch of the now defunct Route 66, and therefore became Route 666. Most of the highway now will be named Highway 191."

Edited by Axman, 14 February 2006 - 12:29 PM.

Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#20 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

191 is a typo. They renamed it (as per my own post) 491. There is no more Route 666.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#21 lissasoldhouse

lissasoldhouse

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:Cheerleading,Tumbling,Music,SystemOfADown,Supernatural Stuff,GHOSTVILLAGE!<br /><br />THE JONAS BROTHERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:59 PM

cool! thats creepy...isnt 666 the devils number? they must have called it route 666 because bad things happen there.
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedi...getflashplayer" name="flashplayer" src="http://i251.photobuc...Disney World!!" quality="high" width="260" height="210" swliveconnect="true" allowscriptaccess="samedomain"></embed><br><a href="http://www.wishafrie...com/countdown/" target="new">

#22 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:01 PM

cool! thats creepy...isnt 666 the devils number? they must have called it route 666 because bad things happen there.

No, that's not why the route was named 666. It's because it was the 6th route off of Interstate 66. Just one of those things.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#23 Holly

Holly

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:49 AM

Agreed..I believe the stories started because of the name and nothing more..

About the TZ episode....Actually, the hitchhiker kept appearing to the woman as she was driving cross-country because she had died in an accident and didn't realize it. The hitchhiker was Death, trying to claim her.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#24 Mist

Mist

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts
  • Interests:Ghosts, dancing, writing and tornados. Long baths are a great relaxer! Love meeting people. Going for walks. I love to write poems and short stories. Enjoy meeting new people, making new friends. Getting out of the city for a weekend is my fav thing to do but can't always do it. LOL

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:13 PM

Don't think I'd want to travel it.
Posted Image

#25 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

Personally, I think that because it is an older road and so very long that there is bound to be superstitions about it. Along the same lines though, there very well could be ghosts/spirits because it is old and a long road.

Hawkerdriver....I lived in NM for 12 years. Nice too see someone from "home" on the boards. :) My fave story from NM is La Llorona (sp?).
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#26 Zodiac

Zodiac

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:DDR, Snakes &amp; The Super Natural

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:23 PM

I think there probaly is a presence there. FYI, the fear of that number is called Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.

#27 evad_83647

evad_83647

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Military, parnormal, UFO's. I am an author, photographer and mechanic.

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:50 AM

NM has lots of interesting places, I drove through Cuba and Truth or Consquences.
Once I get there, there is somewhere else.Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

#28 Chuck58

Chuck58

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:27 PM

Years ago, when I was in law enforcement, I spoke to Navajo Police officers about the road, since it travels through their reservation. They just laughed and said their biggest problem was the drunk drivers and alcohol related accidents. None said they had ever experienced anything supernatural or paranormal.

One poster mentioned the skinwalkers. Yes, they're real, but they aren't shapeshifters in the sense that they transform into animals. They emulate animals and cover themselves with coyote or other animal pelts to add to the emulation. I've never experienced one, but know one couple near Farmington, NM who was visited by one, and they said it was the most scared they've ever been. I've also been told they can be dangerous, but have no first hand knowledge about that.

#29 GiaCat21

GiaCat21

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Interests:I love to sleep!!! I also enjoy reading, some of my favorite authors would be Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Edgar Allen Poe. My favorite tv shows are Ghost Hunters, America's Most Haunted, I Shouldn't be Alive, anything on the Discovery Health Channel, Myth Busters, Desperate Houswives, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Trading Spouses, The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill. But I obviously don't watch any tv. I also enjoy making new, pretty medic alert braclets, and earrings.

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

Did anyone see that really funny movie on Sci Fi... Route 666. I found it to be quite amusing, and the fact that it was a pian medication day when I was watching it didn't hurt either.

I personally think the whole thing with Route 666 and the devil is ludacris, in my opinion 666 is simply a number and nothing more! Can anyone tell me how 666 came to be associated with the devil?
Love life.

#30 Justa

Justa

Champion YMCA dancer and professional spaghetti nose shooter

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:28 PM

Stella, if you go here

http://www.ghostvill...er of the beast

you will find some discussion about the number of the beast.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users