Time in Chicago

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

Taking some friends up to the Windy City for a week-end. Fortunately, they've been to civilization before, so we can skip the Sears Tower and the Field Museum.

Are there any Ghost Tours up there that are not 'shank the tourists' or revisits of the Mob massacres? Or should I just go out and have some BBQ and a beer?

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#2 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hiya

Why dont you do both ? ! :)

Hope you get to find some great places to visit

Mark :wow:

#3 axlfoley

axlfoley

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

I'm no help in this, but I love the term you used: 'shank the tourists' :wow:
I hope your trip goes well vindalf :)

#4 cotton08

cotton08

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrub nurse, I have a rescued black lab and another puppy that's half black lab and half Chihuaha (sp?) - strange looking dog, but sweet. I became interested in EVP when my fiance passed. - I wrote about that somewhere else in my profile. (my real name's Connie)<br /><br />I like to swim, go to flea markets and antique malls - I am OBSESSED with anything from the 40's. Don't know why.<br /><br />I use poems, music lyrics, whatever, and make strangely beautiful, poignant 'pieces' out of paper, ripped up towels, glue, newspaper, jewelry, glitter, dirt, sand, anything I happen to see. Hard to describe, you'd just have to see them. That's my favorite thing to do, just create something out of nothing that makes people laugh or cry - brings them outta themselves for a while.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

I grew up in Chicago, the best thing you can do there - take my advice:

EAT! :wow:

#5 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:35 AM

I grew up in Chicago, the best thing you can do there - take my advice:

EAT! Whirly Dude

I plan to do that no matter what. Weirdest place I've eaten in up there--Had some folks who wanted Chitown pizza, they had to try Uno's. As usual, folks were out the door and down the sidewalk. If you turn around and across the street towards the Lake, there's a California Pizza place. Some of the best pizza I had in Chicago. I also like the BBQ joint that's right around the corner, down the steps from Union Station.

But I swear, if I have to hear about Resurrection Mary again, I'll loose all that good BBQ.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#6 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Alternative medicines,acupuncture,animals,animal rescue,marine life, herbs,occult,japan,china,vietnam,uk,italy,rock music,horror,sci-fi,thriller,drama,historic,fun;tv,cartoons,books,movies.<br />Etc,etc

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

Well this was weeks ago,so its too late i am sure,but when i went,i went purposely to see a
jerry springer taping *coughs*, i made sure i went to the Field Muesum.
I have always wanted to see the 2 demon lions.
The 2 lions that the movie "Ghost in the Darkness" is based on,are in the Chicago Field Museum. I wasnt leaving
until i saw them.
Even with glass eyes they eminated evil.It was as if the lions were possessed by demons if you dont know
the story.
I also went to a yummy breakfast lunch brunch place called Orange.
Homemade organic waffles pancakes syrups smoothies.They close really early too,like 4-5 pm,
but its delish.
Miss"We were just just picknicking friends"Knowledge speaks ,but wisdom listens~Jimi Hendrix

#7 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:20 AM

Not to late at all. Never have heard of the Demon Lions, have taken all kinds of people thru there. They all want to see the lions at the Art Museum. Will have to check out the Orange. Thanks, Miss!

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#8 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Alternative medicines,acupuncture,animals,animal rescue,marine life, herbs,occult,japan,china,vietnam,uk,italy,rock music,horror,sci-fi,thriller,drama,historic,fun;tv,cartoons,books,movies.<br />Etc,etc

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

Not to late at all. Never have heard of the Demon Lions, have taken all kinds of people thru there. They all want to see the lions at the Art Museum. Will have to check out the Orange. Thanks, Miss!

The Egyprian exhibit in the basement of the museum made me physically ill so much weird energy
came off of it.
The lions are in with other stuffed animals .Prob in the africa exhibit.
They are both male,but they have no manes.

The restoration of the pelts also made them smaller in size than they were in life.
They are called The Tsavo Lions.
They killed and ate close to 150 people. When they found their lair,they had saved bones and did
things in a way reminicent of human serial killers .They thought like humans,not animals,and they worked
as a team.
It took a few teams ,and failed attempts to finally kill them
rent the movie if you havent seen it.Michael Douglas is in it.

Edited by mooboo, 12 April 2009 - 05:21 AM.

Miss"We were just just picknicking friends"Knowledge speaks ,but wisdom listens~Jimi Hendrix

#9 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:33 AM

And here is the info for Orange:
3231 N. Clark St.

The hours are
9-2 pm mon thru thurs
8-2 fri
8-2:30 sat+sun

I had a waffles sampler ....yummy !

#10 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:43 AM

http://www.centersta...nts/orange.html

#11 ProudMom

ProudMom

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Family, friends, sailing, boating, relaxing, drawing, animals, a good book in my hands and sand beneath my toes.

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

We took Richard Crowe's Ghost Tour many years ago and had a blast! You meet up at Goose Island and catch a coach bus that visits many haunted places throughout the city. There are a couple of extended "haunted bar" stops and other creepy places where you get out and walk the area while Richatd tells it's haunted history. And yes, you do visit and have a drink at the very place that keeps a cocktail for Resurrection Mary ready at the end of the bar. Apparently she's been known to show up there from time to time. We didn't see any ghosts, but others with us claimed they did. Though you can bring coolers and bottles of alcohol on the bus (at least you could back then), so I don't know how reliable these witnesses were. All in all, we had a really great time. I grew up in Chicago and many of the stories I heard that night were new to me.
Daryl (ProudMom)"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems. Count all you blessings, remember your dreams."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users