22 replies to this topic

#16 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:02 PM

ah! a bloody pond!

well, here's my take on it. while it may well be supernatural in nature, it's important to remember what happens to hot wells and springs in yellowstone national park. even in geyser basins where the ground is covered uniformly with water for several contiguous acres, different colors of algae blooms appear in adjoining depressions and "pools" according to different minerall nutrients present and the actual temperature of the pool itself.

also, clay deposits are rarely uniform - in some areas of the united states red clay and dirt are common for miles and miles (like parts of northwestern and central oklahoma) but in other areas, red clay containing iron oxide (the red pigment) can be found in veins and pockets. for instance, my parent's property in northeast oklahoma has large veins of clay deposit, but only streaks or pockets will be red clay rich in iron oxide; most of the surrounding clay will be gray or white clay. i've been on many a clay dig, so this is not uncommon.

more than likely, there is some geographic correlation between iron oxide rich soil and a corresponding algae or micro-organism bloom that depends on the specific types of plan life decomposition and minerals present in the localized soil. it's probably a very rich coincidence that these natural effects are revealed around the site of the tragic accident...

... although i always see these kind of more scientific "coincidences" as tied to the supernatural in some way, as nature itself is a large and complex machine that makes endless connections that defy both known science and logic!
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#17 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 01:27 PM

I knew Owlie would scientifically "Bust this Myth"

Hoot Hoot!

:weeee: :weeee: :weeee: :weeee:
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#18 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 01:58 PM

well, not busting it really, but it seems to be a more likely explaination when soil composition and resulting microbiotic life are taken into consideration. :weeee:

perhaps it's the algae that's haunted.
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#19 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:55 PM

THAT IS ODD, MOON! You would think if there was red clay in the soil, it would effect all the ponds.

But maybe it's some kind of microscopic algea that turned the pond red. Have you ever heard of Red Tide? It's when the ocean water turns red in some spots, it is caused by an algae i think.

I have seen, when rockhounding, the areas where certain minerals are can be *amazingly* localized---like if you step just a few feet away you won't find anything, yet there'll be a huge deposit right next to it---you'd think the change from one kind of rock to another would be more gradual, but sometimes it isn't. So I'd think it possible to have just a narrow strip or splotch of red clay in an area with little of it in the immediate surroundings.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#20 Yosei

Yosei

Thinks bats and skeletons are.....CUTE?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:56 PM

Heh, should have read the second page first---but Owl Goddess got it right---and she could be right about natural phenomena being tied to supernatural signs.
"I could die a thousand times, but I'll always be here..."---Rozz Williams"It's not the sound of a new generation, it is the noise of a degenerate nation...the Nightmare of the American Dream..."---DomianaNeed gifts for goths? Handmade jewelry, clothing, porcelain & more! http://www.accentuateyourlook.com

#21 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,378 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 15 October 2004 - 07:40 AM

cool story secretsign...where is this place at?
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#22 Angels_from_Heaven

Angels_from_Heaven

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 11:53 AM

I have heard about that pond... I have never been there but I no where its at.. A friend of mine told me about it.. I would love to check it out sometime...
Posted Image

#23 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 12:30 PM

It is on hwy 150 between Broadhead and Crab Orchard ky.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users