19 replies to this topic

#1 drflavio309

drflavio309

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

Can someone explain to me why most paranormal teams do investigations at night? or why it seems 90% of all ghost or spirit activity seems to be found at night?(I know that if you only look at night it stands to reason your going to find more at night) Do the ghost or spirits carry a watch?\
I have wondered this for years, I have gotten lots of photo's of some odd stuff during the daytime as well, but it seems every place I look where a group is going to do an investigation they go at night....and they always turn the lights out....why? does the light hurt the ghost or spirits eyes? Iknow this may come off as a bit on humor or me making fun, but that is not the case, I just can't understand why it always has to be dark....
While I do believe that there are ghost spirits in this world an I find myself searching every single picture I take for anything out of the norm, I still have more questions than answers and some of the logic used by skeptic's seems to hold water on some issues. Like if there is spirit activity in a home and things happen all the time why do people only look for them at night and why in the dark....
looking forward to hearing some views on this....

the dr.

#2 cotton08

cotton08

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrub nurse, I have a rescued black lab and another puppy that's half black lab and half Chihuaha (sp?) - strange looking dog, but sweet. I became interested in EVP when my fiance passed. - I wrote about that somewhere else in my profile. (my real name's Connie)<br /><br />I like to swim, go to flea markets and antique malls - I am OBSESSED with anything from the 40's. Don't know why.<br /><br />I use poems, music lyrics, whatever, and make strangely beautiful, poignant 'pieces' out of paper, ripped up towels, glue, newspaper, jewelry, glitter, dirt, sand, anything I happen to see. Hard to describe, you'd just have to see them. That's my favorite thing to do, just create something out of nothing that makes people laugh or cry - brings them outta themselves for a while.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

I think that comes from the movies or something.

I've had experiences in the morning,
experiences in the evening,
experiences at suppertime! :)

Sorry.

Now I'll be serious.

i've been completely terrified during paranormal activity when the sun was shining bright on my Old Kentucky Home.

....maybe I need to go sing or something....

No, it does not happen only at night. At all.

#3 drflavio309

drflavio309

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

I think that comes from the movies or something.

I've had experiences in the morning,
experiences in the evening,
experiences at suppertime! :)

Sorry.

Now I'll be serious.

i've been completely terrified during paranormal activity when the sun was shining bright on my Old Kentucky Home.

....maybe I need to go sing or something....

No, it does not happen only at night. At all.

nashville is half way between you and i... wanna do a duet????lol
the dr.

#4 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

~I think alot of it has to do with the mind-set of the investigator(s). Maybe they have a better chance at night to see with night-vision, than compared to during the day. I can definately tell you that around my home here (built 1880), the activity happens during all hours-day & night. To me though, the night time seems to happen more so because it's just creepier at night...therefore I'm gonna mute the tv and look more than if it was during the day.

...I think this is going to be interesting to read as others share their opinions. Thanx for the topic, Dr!!
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#5 drflavio309

drflavio309

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

~I think alot of it has to do with the mind-set of the investigator(s). Maybe they have a better chance at night to see with night-vision, than compared to during the day. I can definately tell you that around my home here (built 1880), the activity happens during all hours-day & night. To me though, the night time seems to happen more so because it's just creepier at night...therefore I'm gonna mute the tv and look more than if it was during the day.

...I think this is going to be interesting to read as others share their opinions. Thanx for the topic, Dr!!

always glad to help....
the dr.

#6 ALH

ALH

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

This is an excellent question and one many wonder about.

Coming from the perspective that I do, as a medium, I would have to say that sprit energy can be felt anywhere, anytime, anyplace. At night, however, I do, generally, find it easier to sense because things tend to be quieter at night (at least, where I am), I have light sensitivity, etc.

It may go back to the five senses. When a human loses one of these senses, say sight, their other senses become more “aware” or heightened to make up for the loss.

#7 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

Can someone explain to me why most paranormal teams do investigations at night? or why it seems 90% of all ghost or spirit activity seems to be found at night?(I know that if you only look at night it stands to reason your going to find more at night) Do the ghost or spirits carry a watch?\
I have wondered this for years, I have gotten lots of photo's of some odd stuff during the daytime as well, but it seems every place I look where a group is going to do an investigation they go at night....and they always turn the lights out....why? does the light hurt the ghost or spirits eyes? Iknow this may come off as a bit on humor or me making fun, but that is not the case, I just can't understand why it always has to be dark....
While I do believe that there are ghost spirits in this world an I find myself searching every single picture I take for anything out of the norm, I still have more questions than answers and some of the logic used by skeptic's seems to hold water on some issues. Like if there is spirit activity in a home and things happen all the time why do people only look for them at night and why in the dark....
looking forward to hearing some views on this....

the dr.

I never understood that either. Most of the encounters that I have had were in the day. I only had one at night and it was in a well lite room. But I have to admit, its creepier at night with the lights out.

Edited by Cryscat, 06 March 2009 - 09:41 PM.

Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#8 Retro

Retro

Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:03 PM

Because when our senses are muted, we are more susceptible to fear. It probably comes from old medium-hoaxes that used the cover of dark to hide their parlor tricks.

Think about it: there are people that are scared of the dark, when was the last time you heard of someone scared of the light?

Personally, I can't take seriously an investigator that claims that it needs to be dark for paranormal activity. I have also experienced activity (the most amazing ones, too) in the broad daylight. It's all about 'fear.' Maybe an argument can be made that the 'fear' attracts some spirits, but those aren't the kind I would really want to come face to face with anyway.

Edited by Retro, 06 March 2009 - 10:04 PM.

#9 blackdog

blackdog

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

I honestly think it can happen at any time. I've been to outside places that I know have activity at night and during the day.. there isn't any I can detect. Maybe its different with houses.

Since paranormal beings are electromagnetic in nature, could solar wind/flare activity affect them? It can wreak havoc on electronic devices. Once the earth is turned away, it does get much less solar interference. That's the only logical (maybe) reason I could think of.

Most investigators like to go at night simply because its much quieter than in the day, not as much street noise, less shadows from sunlight off objects, etc.

Edited by blackdog, 09 March 2009 - 04:15 PM.

#10 Mystic Hippy

Mystic Hippy

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:computers, arts &amp; crafts, nature, photography, ghost hunting, mediumship, supernatural/paranormal, etc.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

It's quieter at night and there are fewer distractions.
Have you hugged your ghost today?The Porch - Ghosts, paranormal, supernatural

#11 Nightmare Before Victor

Nightmare Before Victor

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:ALL THAT IS STRANGE AND UNUSUAL

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:31 AM

I agree with ALH and for other reasons things people use are less active (electrical appliances which send off electromagnetic fields) and heat detecting cameras and forth. Spirits however are pretty much active anytime of the day

#12 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

I agree that paranormal activity happens at all hours. Some I have witnessed do seem to happen on a schedule of sorts.

I vaguely recall a post on here, that stated something to the affect; when using some of the cameras they were able to eliminate or control light sources that may affect an image capture or simply cast doubt on that same capture.

Other than the most obvious reason for night time investigations. ie: the investigators have day jobs, so evening is more convenient.
There is also reason to believe our other scenes are heightened when one is deprived.
Though I personally would wonder if it also interferes to a point; making every noise, every shadowy movement, every creepy feeling seem like more than it really is.

good topic.

M

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

#13 blueheron

blueheron

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

I'm passing through--this is my first experience here--and thought I'd drop my thoughts about night time investigations. I'm certainly not one myself, but have to say that walking through a cemetery to visit my parents' grave never bothered me, ever. It still wouldn't bother me, except if I try it again, with a brand new flashlight as I did two years ago, I'm not going to forget that even strolling though a Catholic cemetery at night is not going to protect flashlight's battery from being drained by energy source from sapping it!

Last week, I brought my genealogical project to a new dimension by actually going to the final resting place of my great-grandparents, their daughters (one died in infancy), a spouse, and their only known granddaughter, and ?step-grandson. Their son, my grandfather, had an issue of some kind (his father died when he was three), went on to marry and have 12 children, and never mentioned why he did not want any contact with his mother, sister, and uncle, aunt, and their kids. I know for certain my father, his son, never knew about them. My grandparents remained in the same neighborhood in Philly until 1935, when he moved his growing family over to the Garden State, and my father was eight-years-old. I have since learned a tremendous amount of history about my paternal ancestors, and believe me, I will present it respectfully because I really do not want to have a conflict with my late grandfather!

Before I found the family burial plot, I was pre-advised by the cemetery's caretaker that thousands of headstones have been vandalized. My first thought was "No-way. Not my family." Sadly, only one headstone remained, that of my cousin and her husband. The family burial plot next to my paternal great-grandparents' and family is the resting place of my great-uncle and his wife, their four children and two spouses. But, it was obvious that the original headstones in their final resting place was too contemporary to have been the original stones. Respectfully, I believe, their grandchildren pitched in to replace the stones (missing, I presume) with a large grave marker bearing the two families' surname, and listing the name of the family member beneath. Without any pre-digital camera jitters, I gently cleared the leaves away from remaining headstones and took photoshots of them, and rather excited about finally having some piece of history to share with my family and relatives. I was in awe about all of this; before leaving I prayed, and was very greatful to have had some sort of contact with the people I've been researching for over a year.

Obviously, the first thing I did when I returned home was to download the photos of the gravemarkers onto my PC, and uploaded the pics on-line. This, after swearing I wouldn't do--I just couldn't grasp the enthusiasm of placing photographs of graves for the world to see on-line. Well, now I can just chalk up what happened afterwards as simply dumb luck, but I am not going to put it past the spirit world. No, my PC didn't crash, but since then I've had to have my ISP provider replace the phone/internet modem, after two days of non-stop problems with the computer. The firewall continued to interfere with downloading anything, which seems to have calmed down to some degree. And, now I'm convinced that somebody/something is/was battling with my digital line--the PC virus and firewall software was in constantly scan mode until this evening.

Day or night, I'm convinced that forms of energy some of us believe, beyond the shadow of doubt, to be the wandering lost, ghosts, poltergeists, paranormal, spiritual--whatever, have their way of sustaining some sort of contact with us. But, while most of the world other than the sleep deprived and grave hour workers are awake and kicking, we are settling down and well, spiritual activity somehow becomes more active than usual; perhaps the loss of solar energy makes them more apparent after-hours than daytime. My late brother, before he passed on, was forever pacing throughout the house, driving me nuts, for as long as he was able to maneuver throughout on foot. He would go up into the attic, where we had a living area/fourth bedroom, and then come down and wander around the house, one cigarette after another. When he became totally wheelchair bound, if anyone was up in the attic, it wasn't my brother--so if I heard someone walking up in the attic, it had to be attributed to someone/something else, and certainly not squirrels, as a member of my family bluntly told me. I only prayed that whoever was up in the attic wouldn't try to see use the house access to come down--as in an intruder. When he passed on, a few short hours after being taken to an in-patient hospice unit, no squirrel could have made the attic commotion, or the slamming back door noise. Both of my parents passed on at home, so if my mother's spirit was working up in the attic, it was rather nice to have made that conclusion. However, it never occurred to me that, uh, deceased members of the family would have interferred with the sale of the family home, but one potential buyer actually asked if anyone died in the house. Apparently the buyer didn't want roaming souls remaining behind.

Now that I live in the first floor condo of a two-floor unit, hearing members of the family upstairs is music to my ears, anytime.

#14 atrent

atrent

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:ghost's

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

i have a theory. i see it as ghost's or sperit's they live in a frequency. you see everything is in frequency sound our electronics in canada its 60 hertz in europe its 40 hertz so why is it imposable that a ghost wouldnt be like maybe a 5 hurtz i mean they could but higher or lower in the frequancy! and the sunlight gives off a frequancy so im wondering if at night its not more likely to happen than in the day just maybe easyer to notice! this is just a theory i have cause when i was takeing my electrical trade this was a conversation we had on Frequency. and is it not imposable i mean a sperit has a magnetic eneragy about it so why not also a frequency. and that could be a cause why they can only come in contact between the afterlife and our world some of the time and not all the time and why our eyes can see it as well as we would like to! once again it is just a theory!

#15 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Trying not to step on the land mines that others have planted in front of me. No sense saying more, as this will be removed anyway.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:44 PM

No idea why paranormal investigations take place at night, ie; Jason/Grant and company. I seem to do ok with daytime investigations as well as night. I guess it makes for a "spooky" effect to do the investigations at night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users