Faith and stress

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

I just came across this article in the online version of the Toronto Star (health section) and thought it very interesting.

Stressed out? Have a little faith
Religious students remain calmer in face of errors, study shows
March 5, 2009

Strong religious convictions can lower stress and enhance the performance of basic tasks, a team of Toronto researchers has found.

They came to that conclusion after putting 28 of their students through tests measuring both their religious fervour and their stress at making mistakes on a test.

"The more religious they were, the less brain activity they showed in response to their own errors," says University of Toronto assistant psychology professor Michael Inzlicht, lead author of the study in Psychological Science. "They are calmer when they make errors."

The students, from a variety of backgrounds including Christian, Muslim, Hindu and Buddhist, were asked how much they agreed that their religion was based on objective truth, whether they would go to war for their faith, and other such statements.

The more they agreed, the more religious they were deemed to be.

The students were then given a Stroop test, in which they were told to identify the colour in which various words are written. The words themselves were the names of colours, though the names did not always match the colour of the type.

The word "yellow," for instance, might appear in red, causing stress as the brain sorts through conflicting signals. Brain functions were measured throughout the test.

The religious students showed significantly less activity in the anterior cingulate cortex, a portion of the brain that signals when attention and control are needed, usually due to an anxiety-producing event.

Inzlicht says religious people have a belief system to help them make sense of the world, so can better accept the occasional mistake.

"It lowers uncertainty," he says. "And when you don't have that uncertainty and you make an error, you just say, `Okay, that's the way the world is.'"

Inzlicht calls anxiety a "double-edged sword." While it can be a good thing to feel less stress, anxiety also pushes us to correct our mistakes and remain productive. The key, he says, is to find the right balance.

"We need anxiety to get us up in the morning, but too much of it can be paralyzing," he says.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#2 cotton08

cotton08

Senior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrub nurse, I have a rescued black lab and another puppy that's half black lab and half Chihuaha (sp?) - strange looking dog, but sweet. I became interested in EVP when my fiance passed. - I wrote about that somewhere else in my profile. (my real name's Connie)<br /><br />I like to swim, go to flea markets and antique malls - I am OBSESSED with anything from the 40's. Don't know why.<br /><br />I use poems, music lyrics, whatever, and make strangely beautiful, poignant 'pieces' out of paper, ripped up towels, glue, newspaper, jewelry, glitter, dirt, sand, anything I happen to see. Hard to describe, you'd just have to see them. That's my favorite thing to do, just create something out of nothing that makes people laugh or cry - brings them outta themselves for a while.

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

....I'll go along with that!

#3 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

It makes sense to me. My late grandfather was an Anglican minister and just about the least stressed out human being I have EVER encountered and probably ever will.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#4 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:16 PM

~I have to admit that I never used to be a very spiritual person...trust me, I wasn't. But when Todd got sick, I found a way to communicate to God in a way other than "please God, don't let them arrest me" kinda talk. When I seriously set out to have a one-on-one chat with the "Man Himself", I can feel one load at a time come off of my shoulders. There's definate truth of the findings in that article. I just have a more clearer sense of calmness.....and it helps.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#5 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:32 AM

Exactly. I know when I start stressing and freaking out over things that if I turn to one of the deities that I worship whom I think would be the most appropriate to help me in whatever problem that's got me all flustered that I do feel lighter and better afterwards. Maybe it's not so much accepting as suggested in the article and more along the lines of having 'someone' to talk to that you can totally trust? The idea that someone has your back in a way? I mean, we feel stronger and better facing something with someone standing by us (like my cousin literally holding my hand while I sit in the dentist chair), so it certainly makes sense that those of us with deep beliefs on the spiritual level gain a sense of calm by tapping into our omnipotent deity(s) and the beliefs we surround him/her/them with.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#6 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

Faith - is a strong thing to have, because faith also means we are aware of the higher (or deciding) energies. Faith enables us to surrender, faith enables us to reach out, faith enables us to understand the bigger picture, the bigger playground.
Posted Image

#7 chestnut

chestnut

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

I love that phrase, Moonie, "the bigger playground."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users