Can you explain these photographs?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:39 AM

I haven't posted here for a while, but thought people here would enjoy this link: http://scienceofghosts.wordpress.com/

There are some pretty cool ones, but also some that are rather unimpressive.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#2 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:15 AM

That one of the sailing ship is rather cool I must say! The face on the rock isn't anything unnatural if you ask me. Orbs, well, always suspect orb photos I say, to many perfectly natural and well known causes. Some of them are just leaving me scratching my head and some of them are camera errors (at least, as far as I can tell)

I've often found that a collection of pictures like that hold some amazing ones and some that really, never should have found their way into a collection of spirit photos.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#3 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:31 PM

THe only one I thought really got my attention is the photo of the small car...whatever is creating that reflection surely looks like somebody lying back...could see nostrils and everything. I would say though that everyone of them...even the very descriptive photo of the sailboat are either photographic errors or outright frauds...like that one of the "ghost" standing way across the field.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#4 CrystalEyz

CrystalEyz

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

I haven't posted here for a while, but thought people here would enjoy this link: http://scienceofghosts.wordpress.com/

There are some pretty cool ones, but also some that are rather unimpressive.

Some of those are pretty cool. I liked the Castle one and the face in the mirror of the car. Thanks for posting these..CE

#5 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

Hey Plindoboe; welcome back. I was starting to get bored, but now that you are back, my interest has perked up again!

Thanks for posting these photographs; in my opinion, they serve a very useful purpose.

I can replicate every one of those photographs in Photoshop in less than a half hour each. It is a pretty trivial exercise.

Having said that, I issue a challenge to everybody:

pick any one of the photographs in the posting, and explain how you would fake it using any method other than Photoshop.

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:50 PM

lol...count me out, I wouldn't know the first thing about how to go about it.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:22 PM

~The only one I truly enjoyed was the one with the gal looking out the window of the castle. Some of the others were pretty strange, but could chalk them up as photos being exposed with another photo...forgot the term they use. Then there was others (such as the ghost in the rock) that I had to make myself see, and that's no fun. Either way though, I enjoyed looking at the pics.

...the one with the womans face in the rear-view mirror creeped me out...reminded me of the movie "mirrors". *shudders as a cold chill sweeps over me*
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#8 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:15 PM

Hey Plindoboe; welcome back. I was starting to get bored, but now that you are back, my interest has perked up again!

Thanks for posting these photographs; in my opinion, they serve a very useful purpose.

I can replicate every one of those photographs in Photoshop in less than a half hour each. It is a pretty trivial exercise.

pick any one of the photographs in the posting, and explain how you would fake it using any method other than Photoshop.

not only Photoshop, but learning to recreate them with the camera itself...learning how certain functions can create anomalies that appear "paranormal" or "ghostly". In fraud cases, sometimes it's as simple as placing a piece of glass at an angle to the camera and then superimposing a reflection into the shot. Double exposures, long shutter times, stroboscopic flash photography...there are several ways to produce pretty convincing spirit photos with just the mechanics of a camera and a little know-how.

Edited by OMPRDave, 16 March 2009 - 10:20 PM.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#9 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

I'm glad you all liked the photos. Richard Wiseman has alot of fun experiments investigating the curious ways our minds work, and he sometimes explores paranormal belief systems as well.

The "Ghost on the Beach" photo seems rather dumb to me though. It does indeed resemble a human figure from a distance, but in the close up it simply looks like a cavern, some of which is reflected in the water.

Nearly all of them I gave a "Normal explanation, but not fake" vote, i.e. pareidolia. Like OMPRDave, one of the few I thought looked genuinely fake was the "Ghost in field" photo.

I also find it amazing that people continue thinking orbs in photos are ghosts. It just seems like one the most mundane photographic errors one can possibly have. It's like exclaiming "ghost!" every time one hears a scratch on an LP.

Hi canuck, thanks for the welcome! Glad I've been missed. :weeee: I wish I was back for some good debating, but alas I'm way too busy these days. Have been procrastinating too much, and I now have tons of exams and an entire bachelor project to finish in a few months. I'll continue to lurk though, and might join the fun in a not too distant future.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#10 damckie

damckie

My innersoul rides on a big fluffy cloud....

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,113 posts
  • Interests:Ghost Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanging with my best friend and soulmate

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:46 AM

Photoshop should never be mentioned here. That program has created many fakes and many people will believe in what they see in them from this program. Bad bad bad! Dave
Two hearts drawn together bound by destiny. Every road leads to your door...."Will you still love me?" By Chicago. Love is the reason we'll never be alone. In love, in love.... "I believe." By Chicago. I LOVE YOU JULIET!!! The Spirit Stalker of Ohio "BREAK ON THROUGH TO THE OTHER SIDE" The Doors! GOOD DAVE HUNTING

#11 dearambivalence

dearambivalence

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Literature (especially from 1850-1970), writing, houseplants, Indian food, tea, reading Wikipedia, film, big stupid dogs, sewing, cooking, art, doing the art thing myself, camping, traveling on the cheap. And obviously the paranormal.

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

Wedding ghost posted April 4th: tux guy's arms are behind his back, like he was holding something. If it was a coat or shawl of some sort, that would cause the fabric drape that looks like the fold guys get with trousers (look in between tux's legs [that's what she said]). The item's hem could have caused the appearance of a shoe on the left. And people don't remember details like that very well, who was holding what when.

So I'd simply have somebody nonchalantly hold a coat behind their back.
I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your policework there, Lou.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users