A skeptic wants to be a believer

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 simman

simman

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:My family, friends, computers, electronics and of course anything paranormal, especially spirits of any kind.

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:51 PM

Think about it. If a skeptic didn't want to be a believer, they wouldn't be interested in the paranormal topic/s or any other topic they may be skeptical of. All they want is proof enough for them to become a believer. I believe this is why GV has so many skeptics here because they are looking for that proof to become a believer. JMO.
simman

#2 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:06 AM

Of course, you could also ask the skeptics why they are here, instead of making up fantasies about them.

Personally I'd find it pretty interesting if any of these things were true, but I'm not here out of hope that ghosts are real.

The reason that I'm here is because I find the psychology behind belief systems fascinating, from paranormal, religious belief systems to conspirational and extreme political belief systems. I don't have any deep seated hope of getting converted by any of these believers, but rather an increased understanding of the thought processes that go on in the minds of these people.

Edited by plindboe, 22 March 2009 - 08:07 AM.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#3 simman

simman

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:My family, friends, computers, electronics and of course anything paranormal, especially spirits of any kind.

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

The post states anything skeptical, not just ghosts or Ghostvillage.
simman

#4 chestnut

chestnut

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:12 AM

It's possible that this is true for some skeptics, simman. My husband would definitely fall into that category. He kinda wants to be able to believe, but he really hasn't seen anything yet that would sway him into the "believer" camp. He's not a cynic, just skeptical--he just thinks that there must be some sort of ordinary, non-paranormal explanation for all the weird stuff that's been reported.

That being said, some of the stuff on the early episodes of Ghost Hunters, before they were creating evidence left and right, was starting to make him take notice.

But then there are probably a lot of skeptics who are here not necessarily because they want to believe, but because they're interested in seeing what's out there.

#5 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

:ghost: I really guess to me a true skeptic would be skeptical of everything making nothing and everything a possibility. Does that make sense?

Sharon

#6 chestnut

chestnut

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, I think of a true skeptics as open-minded in that regard--not being closed to the idea of something being paranormal or whatever, but not defaulting to "belief."

It's a fine line between skepticism and cynicism for some, I suppose.

#7 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

Nope, I check my belief system at the door when it comes to this stuff...but I am also very careful not to take what is reported to me, even from an eye witness who is extremely adamant, too seriously.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#8 Atropa belladonna

Atropa belladonna

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:I have many interests and hobbies. <br />I have enjoyed White Water Rafting down the Penobscot River, Dead River and Kennebec River all on several occasions, Hiking in the White Mountains, Camping, Taking Photographs, watching the horse pull's at Fryeburg Fair, Canning, Sewing, Scrap Booking, Fly Tying, My Artwork........<br /><br />Over the last few years; I have added vegetable gardening, to the job of getting my property back into shape. (it is amazing how well vegetable's mix into a flower garden)<br /><br />I love reading ghost stories and seeing programs on the paranormal.<br />My experiences with the paranormal began when I was still an infant and have continued to this day.

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

Think about it. If a skeptic didn't want to be a believer, they wouldn't be interested in the paranormal topic/s or any other topic they may be skeptical of. All they want is proof enough for them to become a believer. I believe this is why GV has so many skeptics here because they are looking for that proof to become a believer. JMO.

Simman,

A skeptic who would like to believe is in fact a
"skeptical-believer"............. You are reading a post from one in the flesh.
I DO BELIEVE. Though I will not believe every story told to me.
I have had my encounters, I have herd family members encounters.
But I refuse to believe every "ghost story" I hear or read.
I need some grain of truth, some hard fact (inane as it may seem) some tangible evidence I can sift through myself.

I hope you are not put off by my answer....... Keep posting.

This is just my reply to your proposal.

take care, be well.
M

Time exists so everything doesn't happen at once.Space exists so everything doesn't happen to you.*

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.*-- Scottish Proverb

#9 Sarmotifan

Sarmotifan

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:23 PM

I think it's good for any believer to have a healthy amount of skepticism. Just because someone has an experience that s/he believes is paranormal doesn't mean it is or isn't. There may be a possible normal explanation for it. I would advise someone who is a hard core believer to take everything that happens around them that is 'paranormal' with a grain of salt and to those that are hard core skeptics that there are things out there that we can't account for and that we must take in faith as being something from outside our boundaries of what is normal and what isn't. This is coming from a woman who has worked at a place that is supposed to be haunted, but I've yet to find any hard-core evidence of such except for personal experiences of other people, which I do not consider to be solid evidence. I consider it evidence in that if the people who run the place would let a paranormal investigation team in, the stories would give that team a starting place as to where the equipment should be placed.
In magic, anything is possible.You can teach a cat how to use the toilet.Teaching it how to flush is another matter.

The broomsticks are mounted. The ghosts are a-fright. Enchanting takes wing, On All Hallows’ Night.

#10 yld1009

yld1009

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:24 PM

IMO, I think what simman is trying to say here, is that we do have a lot of skeptics around, but that they do believe there are things out there that need some explanations, and that is why they look into it. A poster mentioned above that "we could ask the skeptics why they are here, instead of making up fantasies about them". I don't believe that is what simman or anyone else here is trying to do. Most of us are just saying what we believe or think, going by what some of the skeptics have actually said. Just like OMPR Dave posted, "that he checks his belief system at the door" when it comes to things like the paranormal. They don't take everything that is given to them at face value, until they can conduct their own investigations as to what may or may not be going on. At least that is what I get from it. (Please tell me if I am misreading that Dave). There are a lot of logical explanations that can be explained about certain experiences, and there are some that need to be looked at and investigated. I guess you could say that I am a believer, but I also want the proof and validation for it also. Otherwise, we would just go around saying that every odd thing that happens is paranormal and that just isn't logical thinking in my opinion. So, like simman said in a way, even though they may call themselves skeptics or others may call them skeptics, all they want is the validation and understanding as to what causes certain things. Otherwise, why would they bother. They are just as curious as we are. I appreciate the skeptical outlook on things because it helps me to understand things from a different perspective that may not have otherwise crossed my mind or had not thought about. So I think simman was just stating basically what OMPR posted on here. What I get from it is yes, they may be skeptical, and until everything is looked into and can be proved, they just can't take what people have expereinced as the proof. JMO on the subject. Hope it made sense.

Edited by yld1009, 27 March 2009 - 04:28 PM.

#11 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:52 AM

Nope, hit it on the head! ;)
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#12 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:11 PM

Skeptics keep believers grounded in the fact that there are many ways to look at all situations. I think it's really good to have skeptics on the board to keep things in check. In all things you have to have people who play devil's advocate with you. Otherwise some people, especially those new to this field, could go way overboard and start to think every bump in the night, every shadow, every spot on a photograph and every noise is automatically a ghost or worse, a demon.

The skeptics on GV have helped me immensely by making me question myself and my own experiences; something I didn't do before I joined. Skepticism is healthy in all aspects of life, it keeps all of us balanced and is valuable in furthering scientific research in this field and all others.
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#13 Cautious-Psychic13

Cautious-Psychic13

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Interests:I am a writer, a wife, a mother of 3, a grandmother of 5, an empathic psychic, and use my empathy to connect with both the living and those of spirit. I had a very near death experience in May 2008 that has brought me back to my paranormal life.<br />I love to travel. To camp. To visit museums, zoos and aquariums. I love to learn about people and places. I have a degenerative bone and muscle disease and expect to be in a wheelchair by the end of 2009 but I love Disney World and amusement parks. I love boating on quiet lakes and seeing sunsets and sunrises. I love hearing from others so write me if you'd like because as a writer I can never know too many interesting people.

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

:ghost: I am glad when something has other then a paranormal explanation because it makes the real experiences more rare and valuable. If every picture were really an orb (and I think most of them are not and the ones that are just mean a collection of mindless energy) then we all have taken pictures of the paranormal. I guess the skeptics that have gone beyond skepticism into true denial should just say so. If they admit they are not ever going to believe just admit to it. I am happy to leave people to their disbelief as much as I am happy in my beliefs.

Sharon

#14 canuck

canuck

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:18 AM

I think it's good for any believer to have a healthy amount of skepticism. Just because someone has an experience that s/he believes is paranormal doesn't mean it is or isn't. There may be a possible normal explanation for it. I would advise someone who is a hard core believer to take everything that happens around them that is 'paranormal' with a grain of salt and to those that are hard core skeptics that there are things out there that we can't account for and that we must take in faith as being something from outside our boundaries of what is normal and what isn't. This is coming from a woman who has worked at a place that is supposed to be haunted, but I've yet to find any hard-core evidence of such except for personal experiences of other people, which I do not consider to be solid evidence. I consider it evidence in that if the people who run the place would let a paranormal investigation team in, the stories would give that team a starting place as to where the equipment should be placed.

Regarding your cat flushing: I beg to differ.

Check out the following:
http://www.youtube.c...e...ushing&aq=f

#15 Mapsau

Mapsau

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:09 AM

I'm not a skeptic but I wouldn't blame them if I saw many of these posts on the site which claim that everything they see is a "demon" and is somehow related back to their religion even though hundreds of religions exist. I also don't blame them when people offer explanations of what a ghost is doing and thinking, as if they somehow are friends with the ghost and talk with it.

Edited by Mapsau, 01 April 2009 - 12:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users