Are medium's liar's

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 MyWeeBro

MyWeeBro

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

My brother was killed a about seven months ago, we were so close, I need to know if he is ok, and to get some answer's about how he was killed, myself and family have spoken to several mediums that seem to be full of cr~p.
Can anyone help? or at least shed some light on the subject? how to tell a fake? Or is ther a medium in the forum that is real ( medium's dont answer this IF you are fake, been put through too much all ready)

thanks
My Wee Bro

#2 simman

simman

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:My family, friends, computers, electronics and of course anything paranormal, especially spirits of any kind.

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

Sorry to hear about your brother. For the mediums that I have encountered they have told me things without me speaking to them about what I wanted to know. Most real mediums will not charge you for their services because they are there to help and carry out a purpose. If someone wants money from you and they are claiming to be a medium or something to that nature, then they are most likely a crock. Also listen to their words and voice, they say alot about them. Hope that helps ya out a little.
simman

#3 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

I beg to differ Simman. Psychics do get paid for their services. Ghost Investigators usually do not charge, however psychics generally do, especially ones who do it professionally or as a supplement to their income. I personally have done readings pro-bono, however I also HAD a site that was successful where I did charge. I never had a complaint and did have return customers! Also, when a client did not understand his reading, I clarified for no charge, ALWAYS!

Having said that, I am NOT practicing anymore. mods, please note I am not offering services.

As for the new member. I am very sorry for your loss. The loss of a family member is very difficult indeed and I'm sure you are all in a great deal of pain. I do hope you find the help you need.

I wish you peace.
The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#4 simman

simman

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:My family, friends, computers, electronics and of course anything paranormal, especially spirits of any kind.

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

I beg to differ Simman. Psychics do get paid for their services. Ghost Investigators usually do not charge, however psychics generally do, especially ones who do it professionally or as a supplement to their income. I personally have done readings pro-bono, however I also HAD a site that was successful where I did charge. I never had a complaint and did have return customers! Also, when a client did not understand his reading, I clarified for no charge, ALWAYS!

Having said that, I am NOT practicing anymore. mods, please note I am not offering services.

As for the new member. I am very sorry for your loss. The loss of a family member is very difficult indeed and I'm sure you are all in a great deal of pain. I do hope you find the help you need.

I wish you peace.

I didn't say psychic, I said medium they are different. Yes some professionally do get paid, but true mediums will not charge for their services, not ones into the making money part instead of helping someone out.
simman

#5 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

~My heart goes out to you and your family, sweety. There's nothing worst than someone out there who's only out to put salt on an open wound, stuff you just don't need. There are definately some good mediums and psychics out there, hope you find the answers that you're looking for.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#6 Mystic Hippy

Mystic Hippy

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:computers, arts &amp; crafts, nature, photography, ghost hunting, mediumship, supernatural/paranormal, etc.

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:20 PM

I don't know if I'm reading your brother or someone else. I'll describe the person I'm seeing. Medium height, brown hair...straight, a little on the shaggy side, slender build. Energetic type person.

We get alot of "tourists" through here. I'll read them when they come by, but I do not make an effort to attempt to connect with anyone in particular.
Have you hugged your ghost today?The Porch - Ghosts, paranormal, supernatural

#7 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:46 AM

Sorry to hear the loss of your brother, my heart goes out to you.

Im not even going to attempt to give you the answers, but from past experiences I have encountered is that physically he is ok, but emotionally he is not. If he was killed he will be going through all sorts of emotions such as disbelief, anger, sorrow and he is not at peace.

Im not saying this is the case for your brother, but its generally the theme.

Two questions though, do you not know how he was killed ? Didnt the authorities let you know that ?

I hope you get the answers you are looking for. We are always here to listen if needs be.

PS I dont think some mediums or psychics are liars, they just think they have the answers ! And tell you want you want to hear.

Mark :whoohoo:

#8 MyWeeBro

MyWeeBro

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

Sorry to hear the loss of your brother, my heart goes out to you.

Im not even going to attempt to give you the answers, but from past experiences I have encountered is that physically he is ok, but emotionally he is not. If he was killed he will be going through all sorts of emotions such as disbelief, anger, sorrow and he is not at peace.

Im not saying this is the case for your brother, but its generally the theme.

Two questions though, do you not know how he was killed ? Didnt the authorities let you know that ?

I hope you get the answers you are looking for. We are always here to listen if needs be.

PS I dont think some mediums or psychics are liars, they just think they have the answers ! And tell you want you want to hear.

Mark :whoohoo:

Thankyou All,

Thanks for your kind words and advice, I think Mark hit the nail on the head. Start/quote - PS I dont think some mediums or psychics are liars, they just think they have the answers ! And tell you want you want to hear. End/quote
There had been two mediums that would not take any money because they couldnt get much or any info on my brother.

What is worrying is that different mediums have mention that the number 3 is important, and that 3 people seen him when he was killed and that some people know more than they let on.
Are there any reputable mediums in the forum ? Is ther any way I can make contact with my brother
My Wee Bro

#9 Mystic Hippy

Mystic Hippy

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:computers, arts &amp; crafts, nature, photography, ghost hunting, mediumship, supernatural/paranormal, etc.

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

It is a common misconception to feel that because Psychic A cannot pull up information on Subject B that Psychic A must be a fraud. Not all psychics can pull up info on every subject/person. Psychics are like the crystals in a radio scanner. Each crystal can pick up certain frequencies. Generally speaking, any given psychic can pick up frequencies within certain ranges and not others. Like tuning in a radio, you just need to find a psychic/medium that can tune into the frequencies/vibrations of your brother...like tuning in a radio.
Have you hugged your ghost today?The Porch - Ghosts, paranormal, supernatural

#10 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:05 PM

Good analogy Mystic Hippy!

#11 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:50 PM

My brother was killed a about seven months ago, we were so close, I need to know if he is ok, and to get some answer's about how he was killed, myself and family have spoken to several mediums that seem to be full of cr~p.
Can anyone help? or at least shed some light on the subject? how to tell a fake? Or is ther a medium in the forum that is real ( medium's dont answer this IF you are fake, been put through too much all ready)

thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and wish you the very best. :hug:

Since you've posted on the Skeptics board, I assume you'd also like to hear the skeptic's viewpoint, and I haven't seen others in this thread supply it so far.

Alas I don't have time to write much these days, so I shall simply post a few links below, I hope that's ok. If you wish to know more about cold reading or the other psychological tricks used, feel free to ask as I might have more time tomorrow.

Cold reading shortly described: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Cold_reading
A more full article: http://skepdic.com/coldread.html
Video with a magician pretending to be a psychic, using cold reading techniques:

It's important to point out though that most people who consider themselves psychic probably aren't lying deliberately. While the psychological tricks themselves are deeply manipulative techniques, most people who use them don't seem to realize it, as they are simply using the methods they've seen on the telly, or learned about elsewhere and that they feel works the best.

Being a skeptic isn't always easy, especially when it comes to matters such as death. Paranormal beliefs can be comforting, while the cold hard truth often isn't. It would be wonderful to think of ones' lost relatives still being out there somewhere, and that there are ways to communicate with them. But perhaps it's also easier to move on in life, knowing that the person is gone forever, and that we will have to focus on the people living around us instead.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

#12 Mapsau

Mapsau

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:45 PM

thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and wish you the very best. :)

Since you've posted on the Skeptics board, I assume you'd also like to hear the skeptic's viewpoint, and I haven't seen others in this thread supply it so far.

Alas I don't have time to write much these days, so I shall simply post a few links below, I hope that's ok. If you wish to know more about cold reading or the other psychological tricks used, feel free to ask as I might have more time tomorrow.

Cold reading shortly described: http://en.wikipedia....ki/Cold_reading
A more full article: http://skepdic.com/coldread.html
Video with a magician pretending to be a psychic, using cold reading techniques:

It's important to point out though that most people who consider themselves psychic probably aren't lying deliberately. While the psychological tricks themselves are deeply manipulative techniques, most people who use them don't seem to realize it, as they are simply using the methods they've seen on the telly, or learned about elsewhere and that they feel works the best.

Being a skeptic isn't always easy, especially when it comes to matters such as death. Paranormal beliefs can be comforting, while the cold hard truth often isn't. It would be wonderful to think of ones' lost relatives still being out there somewhere, and that there are ways to communicate with them. But perhaps it's also easier to move on in life, knowing that the person is gone forever, and that we will have to focus on the people living around us instead.

How nice it is to know the truth 100 percent of the time about death

That doesn't sound like skepticism but more like you've already made up your mind.

Edited by Mapsau, 02 April 2009 - 09:46 PM.

#13 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:20 PM

Mapsau,
I think Plindbo is giving the skeptics point of view. People on the board who are not skeptics tend to believe certain things about the soul's journey after death. I only say this because in your post you quoted Plindbo.

BTW, I notice many people quoting every post they respond to; you do NOT have to do this. Just mention the posters name and go from there. To do this just click reply and not quote. also, it takes up a lot of room quoting every post in your reply. Not meant for you Mapsau, just an FYI for everyone.

#14 hippityhoohaa

hippityhoohaa

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:33 PM

MyWeeBro,

Your post prompted me to register on these forums, and make this post http://www.ghostvill...showtopic=27085

Anyone here who even so much as suggests that you can talk to your brother is either a charlatan, deeply deluded, or suffers from a mental illness. I can't begin to explain how many so called "mediums" I've come across that fail to prove anything when met with any form of rational enquiry. The "mediums" that charge you money are the ones that are charlatans, that make a living doing this sort of nonsense, and they know it. The so called mediums who do it free, the "genuine" ones, are clearly disillusioned with reality.

I also had a little chuckle about people downplaying the scientific method of enquiry. I'm not even going to enter into a debate like that, it's like trying to tell a chicken why it's not human and not even worth my time. To prove to you that no medium will be able to talk with your brother (there is indeed no way to talk to him, I am sorry to say) I have setup a challenge within my post here http://www.ghostvill...showtopic=27085.

I strongly suggest you follow it and see for yourself what a fake all this is. I'd just hate to see you not establish closure and end up being confused like so many people I have seen due to the havoc that these scammers wreak.

And for those of you who haven't got a critical mind, stop playing upon the vulnerable with your garbage.

Edited by hippityhoohaa, 03 April 2009 - 11:34 PM.

#15 plindboe

plindboe

Has a pseudoscience radar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Interests:I'm an atheist and a skeptic regarding paranormal beliefs, but nonetheless I find other people's belief systems fascinating. I think it's important for people who hold different beliefs to discuss with, and learn from, one another. The free exchange of ideas are essential to progress, and it's no coincidence that mankind's two greatest ideas, democracy and science, are based on this.<br /><br />Feel free to message me, if you want to talk. :)

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:12 AM

How nice it is to know the truth 100 percent of the time about death

That doesn't sound like skepticism but more like you've already made up your mind.

I have my beliefs, just as you have yours. I'm willing to change mine if I see convincing evidence that indicates contrary to those beliefs, which is the definition of open-mindedness. I wonder if you can say the same.

That said, your strawman and ad hominem doesn't really add anything to the discussion, so I don't really see the point of your post. If you read the articles and see the video with an open mind, and find something you disagree with, counter arguments and/or counter evidence is the proper way to address what I wrote.

That said, as Kira said, I was simply presenting the skeptic's viewpoint. My hope is that it can help the opening poster. Who knows, it might offend him instead. But I find it tragic that there are people out there eager to profit from his and his family's misfortune, and bring them nothing but frustration and additional grief.

Believers tend to reply to such experiences with "true psychics are out there, you just need to keep looking", which isn't malicious advice at all considering their belief system. But in a skeptic's eyes, "keep looking" is just the worst possible advice one can give in such a situation, as it's bound to prolong the frustration and monetary loss of the person in question.

Believers often ask why skeptics are going to paranormal boards to debate. Threads like this is one of the main reasons why.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (Bertrand Russell)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users