The effectivness of religions in cleansing

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 N. O. T. W. Paranormal

N. O. T. W. Paranormal

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Demonology, Biblical Paranormal Investigation, Nature, Biblical Metaphysics, Quantum Physics

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering your opinions on just how effective religion is when used in light of the paranormal. For instance;

Using christian prayers, sacraments, and blessings when riddind a home of a non-christian entity. Perhaps this entity lived previously as a Buddhist. How do you think the christian approach would work or not work in this situation?

I have my own theories and beliefs on this matter but to eliminate debate, lets keep this strictly for sharing our opinions and growth.
Not of this World ,JasonFounder : Not Of This World Paranormal

#2 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

I am not sure how the potential religous beliefs of the entity would work, but I am sure the belief system of the living human means a great deal. Cleanisng is always more effective, if you work within your own traditions. For me, belief has a lot of power.
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#3 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

Your faith gives you power. I would avoid copying rituals from other religions; instead, find someone of that faith to perform it for you.

If you don't believe in Jesus, what good would calling upon him do?

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#4 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Alternative medicines,acupuncture,animals,animal rescue,marine life, herbs,occult,japan,china,vietnam,uk,italy,rock music,horror,sci-fi,thriller,drama,historic,fun;tv,cartoons,books,movies.<br />Etc,etc

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:24 PM

I think it has to do with personal faith. My spiritual beliefs are such
that i beleive in god,but god manefests to people in different ways.

For instance , I in no way think ONLY Catholic/Christian priests can do exorcisms,but the Catholic
church makes sure we think it. *coughs*
And why do so many deities have corresponding counter parts in other religions?

ie Mercury =Ellegua=Ganesha, or... Oya= Kali Ma=Sekemet .
So many correspondances,worlds and centuries apart.

So many things with in religious rites are similar...burning incense,lighting
candles ,anointing oils,offerings of food,......,prayer.

Is a Buddhist mantra really any different than saying 20 Hail Marys,or Muslim
prayers ?

I used to watch this Chinese Monk on TV,and he said people always asked him,
"if i say the mantra incorrectly,or pronounce words wrong,does that mean
the gods will foresake me?"
And he replied almost laughingly ,of course not.As long as your heart and intent
are pure and of good faith,no one will fault you for saying one word incorrectly..

So if your faith is strong,it will serve you no matter your religion.
Spirituality and Religion are 2 different things,but Faith is borne of both of them.

So i think any religion works for any given intervention,as long as you have faith in your beliefs,whatever
they might be.

Miss
Miss"We were just just picknicking friends"Knowledge speaks ,but wisdom listens~Jimi Hendrix

#5 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:42 PM

Your faith gives you power. I would avoid copying rituals from other religions; instead, find someone of that faith to perform it for you.

If you don't believe in Jesus, what good would calling upon him do?

Agree. It is the faith of the cleanser that does the deed.

Just a couple of points. If the infestation is caused by a human agency, religious faith probably did not effect him while he was still alive, it is doubtful that it would bother him now that he is dead. So hanging crosses or tao symbols is a waste of time.

If the suspect is of non-human origin (will try to avoid the d***n word in this post), invoking the Creator in good faith with any of his names, should have a similar effect. I think these entities, if they truly exist, don't come in religious flavors. Evil is evil. Bringing the Creator's light to bear will light up darkness, no matter what language the entity's name might be.

In any event, the use of any rituals or blessings should be held in a manor that is familiar to you. You're always stronger on your home turf.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#6 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

Just a couple of points. If the infestation is caused by a human agency, religious faith probably did not effect him while he was still alive, it is doubtful that it would bother him now that he is dead. So hanging crosses or tao symbols is a waste of time.

Question. Why the assumption that a human ghost was likely unaffected by religious faith while alive? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#7 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:51 PM

Vamp, I think Vin meant that if a ghost had been Buddhist while alive, then the Christian cross probably wouldn't hold any sway not that he's dead.

#8 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:29 AM

Vamp, I think Vin meant that if a ghost had been Buddhist while alive, then the Christian cross probably wouldn't hold any sway not that he's dead.

Thank you, Sir, couldn't have said it better myself!

Was also addressing a specific kind of individual. If the person was sociopathic, amoral or psychotic while living, invoking a power that obviously had no effect on his behavior while still living will have similar results now that he's dead.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#9 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

Thanks Aloha and vindalf! Clears that right up for me. ;)

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#10 spiritalk

spiritalk

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:12 AM

The main factor: Light. Spirit is light. So when removing 'stuck' spirit from around any person, place, thing, we must remember to send them to the light. It is ok to say go away - but saying there is a place - the light - is ever so much more effective.

Religious beliefs can play into the protection you garner around yourself. The rest will ony annoy or upset someone not in resonnance with your particular beliefs. The light is neutral.

Some people actually believe they will never see their loved ones again - this is in a religious upbringing. So saying loved ones are there can turn them off as being ghost figures not to be encouraged.

Angels are not even a belief in all religious followings. And yet, they minister to the passing loved ones.

God bless, J

#11 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

SpiritTalk, you are so right. the "light" is what matters, and with my recent experiences and lessons, this is so true.
Posted Image

#12 Alan B

Alan B

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

I would think it would work as well with your religious belief as with any other. Same as Ghost Hunters international....do the spirits understand english, in other countries? Stay with what you believe in. Prayer works in any language...

#13 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

Alan, yes,prayers work in any languages, since it is the intention that matters, not the words and language.
Posted Image

#14 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

I was thinking along the lines as positive energy and negative energy and using what ever it takes to manifest or expells that energy.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#15 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:11 AM

Was also addressing a specific kind of individual. If the person was sociopathic, amoral or psychotic while living, invoking a power that obviously had no effect on his behavior while still living will have similar results now that he's dead.

My sect teaches that the same spirit which inhabits our body in this life will inhabit it in the next. In essence, you keep you personality with you. People who were perverts in this life will continue as perverts; helpful people will continue to be helpful, etc.

HOWEVER, I must ask about cases where the bad behavior had a medical cause (chemical imbalance, for example).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users