• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chestnut

chestnut

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

I was surprised that the story of Patience Worth didn't already have a thread here!

The story is that in the early 20th century, a woman in St. Louis named Pearl Curran was dabbling with a Ouija board with some friends, and a spirit named Patience Worth supposedly came through. She claimed to have lived in 17th-century England. And over time, through Pearl and the Ouija board, Patience "dictated" poems and stories and eventually a few full-length novels.

This site has a good overview:
http://www.prairiegh....com/pearl.html

Evidently Pearl did not have the kind of education or knowledge that would have been required to have written all these things, but nobody has ever been able to verify the existence of Patience Worth anywhere.

I actually bought one of the novels that came out of this sessions, called A Sorry Tale. It's a very long read, but it's interesting, and I find the whole Patience/Pearl thing very intriguing. Still not sure what I really think.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this one?

#2 Kira

Kira

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual discussions about anything as long everyone respects all opinions given.<br /><br />My dogs, cooking, studying (yes), painting and decorating, and learning something new almost every day that I visit Ghostvillage.

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

That was so interesting. I just read the entire article about Pearl and Patience. Thank you so much for sharing that. I love learning new things every day. Have you dug around and found anymore info, other than the book you read? I'll have to see if my local library can order A Sorry Tale for me. Is the author listed as Pearl Curran or Patience Worth?

Edited by Kira, 03 April 2009 - 05:31 PM.

The Power of 8 Make Your Wishes Come True!<-Click Here Now

#3 chestnut

chestnut

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

Isn't that a wild story??

The book's authors are listed as Patience Worth and Pearl Curran (she might be listed as Mrs. John Curran in some editions).

There are a bunch of books about the Patience Worth story, I haven't read any of them but I might take a look at one of them.

There is a website devoted to her, at http://patienceworth.org/

It gives more info on Pearl and Patience, and excerpts of some of the writings.

Enjoy!

#4 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Alternative medicines,acupuncture,animals,animal rescue,marine life, herbs,occult,japan,china,vietnam,uk,italy,rock music,horror,sci-fi,thriller,drama,historic,fun;tv,cartoons,books,movies.<br />Etc,etc

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

That is facinating . I have not ever heard of this. I will have to read one of these books.

Miss
Miss"We were just just picknicking friends"Knowledge speaks ,but wisdom listens~Jimi Hendrix

#5 spiritalk

spiritalk

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

That is facinating . I have not ever heard of this. I will have to read one of these books.

Miss

Spiritualism is full of channeled books. The Blue Island - subject: the afterlife - was dictated by a deceased investigator to and through his daughter.

God bless, J

#6 chestnut

chestnut

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

I'll have to check that one out too--I never heard of The Blue Island before. Thanks spiritalk!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users