25 replies to this topic

#16 Squatch

Squatch

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:05 AM

Chestnut,

I took a drive by that cemetery this morning to double check the name for you. It is indeed St. Paul's (Zeigler's) Cemetery. It's outside York New Salem, Pennsylvania. It's about 30 minutes north of the Mason Dixon line.

-Squatch

#17 chestnut

chestnut

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:26 AM

Thanks Squatch! Next time I'm in PA I may have to pay them a visit--looks like a really nice place.

Mooboo, you're right, that's the Quaker Meeting House--still used as a meeting house, btw. I used to work on a historic trust board that worked with them before they started renovating the building. The graveyard is closed to the public, but I got a peek once--it's small but really neat. The stones date from the early 1700s.

#18 Squatch

Squatch

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

Here's some more of my cemetery photos, as promised -

These come from another local cemetery near my house. I believe the name is St. Peter's Lischey's Lutheran Cemetery as it is beside the Lischey's Church (now St. Peter's Lichey's United Church of Christ) outside of Spring Grove/Menges Mills, Pennsylvania.

The original church (I think the church that now stands is the fourth church) was built in 1750 and some of the stones almost go back that far. There are definitely graves from the late 1700s present.

This stone features a carved dove.

Posted Image

Another early German stone. This one features a beautiful carved Weeping Willow. This is the only local cemetery where I've seen the Weeping Willow motif. As beautiful as it is, when used on tombstones the Weeping Willow is said to signify perpetual mourning. Which if you think about it, is quite appropriate, given its name.

Posted Image

Classic hand-in-hand carving. Although hard to see, this stone bears the stonemason's signature.

Posted Image

This is a fairly early stone done in the German style, but in English. Also features a beautiful large Weeping Willow image.

Posted Image

These two obelisklike monuments are both for children. Take notice of the lamb on the left. A nice memorial.

Posted Image

This stone features an open Bible. I'm always amazing at how young so many of these women died. A shame.

Posted Image

Another open Bible. This is one of my favorite shots from this cemetery.

Posted Image

#19 papa midnight

papa midnight

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:00 AM

Those are most beautiful monuments, some of us know that gravyards are full of energy, some do not. I have great sucess cumuning with spirits here. They are all over the graveyard feed in part with peoples life force that come to speak one moretime with a departed one. there are more energy here than any haunted location. Trust me on this, Papa would not lie to you.
and yes good pictures.

#20 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Alternative medicines,acupuncture,animals,animal rescue,marine life, herbs,occult,japan,china,vietnam,uk,italy,rock music,horror,sci-fi,thriller,drama,historic,fun;tv,cartoons,books,movies.<br />Etc,etc

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:44 AM

Thanks Squatch! Next time I'm in PA I may have to pay them a visit--looks like a really nice place.

Mooboo, you're right, that's the Quaker Meeting House--still used as a meeting house, btw. I used to work on a historic trust board that worked with them before they started renovating the building. The graveyard is closed to the public, but I got a peek once--it's small but really neat. The stones date from the early 1700s.

no kidding ?!
I am going to climb that wall one night when its closed.Granted the police pct is next door to it now,but i am nothing
if not a bit inquisitive.
Miss"We were just just picknicking friends"Knowledge speaks ,but wisdom listens~Jimi Hendrix

#21 Seeker

Seeker

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

I also love cemeteries and have a small collection of photos. We have an old Victorian cemetery here in nearby Rochester NY that was made to be used as a park. In Victorian times, people picnicked with their departed loved ones.
There is nothing left to say.Me

#22 chestnut

chestnut

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:47 PM

Those are interesting stones, Seeker, esp the one of the sisters who drowned.

Back in the 40s and 50s my mom's family used to bring along picnics when they went to visit the family graves at the cemetery. She said it was fun, like a giant park.

#23 mooboo

mooboo

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Alternative medicines,acupuncture,animals,animal rescue,marine life, herbs,occult,japan,china,vietnam,uk,italy,rock music,horror,sci-fi,thriller,drama,historic,fun;tv,cartoons,books,movies.<br />Etc,etc

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

I also love cemeteries and have a small collection of photos. We have an old Victorian cemetery here in nearby Rochester NY that was made to be used as a park. In Victorian times, people picnicked with their departed loved ones.

Those are amazing .
Miss"We were just just picknicking friends"Knowledge speaks ,but wisdom listens~Jimi Hendrix

#24 Squatch

Squatch

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

Very nice pics Seeker. You certainly have found some interesting inscriptions. All of our local cemeteries are rather to the point when it comes to the facts of the person's life. The only inscription that really stands out for me is that of a child that reads "Only Sleeping" under her information.

Posted Image

Here's a detail shot of the angel statue. I really like this statue, it's just so serene. Sadly, I couldn't get a shot of it without also capturing the power lines in the background. Such is modern life...

Posted Image

#25 Alan B

Alan B

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:59 PM

I agree completely with your comments about the old cemeteries. Currently I am working to help restore one that has several revoluntary soliders in it, including their family members, children, etc. I have gotten some of the best paranormal pictures during the late afternoons at this graveyard. The spirits seem to welcome my being there, working, cleaning and fixing various stones. I talk almost continually to them while I am there. I have had cold spots, touches, and sounds while I have been there.

#26 Squatch

Squatch

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

That's great to hear Alan. It only makes sense that the spirits of those interred there would be glad to see you. Since you mentioned you are helping to restore it, I assume it was a rather rundown cemetery? It's sad that cemeteries can get like that, but I guess it gives those with an appreciation for them a reason to explore.

I've never attempted any type of spirit photography when I vist these cemeteries. Granted I am there during the day for the most part, but according to your experiences, maybe I should try?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users