Urban Legends of Upstate NY

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 outoftheordinary

outoftheordinary

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

My friend and I run a website about urban legends of Upstate NY. We go around to different places we either have heard about or get e-mails about and take some pictures and look into their history a little to see if there is any truth to them. In some cases there is, most of the time, however, there isn't. Our website is outoftheordinary.t35.com

There is a wild life preserve called Happy Valley that was once a bustling little community that just disappeared in the 30's. There are many rumors about this, most have to do with a mass dying off of the entire community. No one can seem to agree on the demise of the people, rumors range from disease (black plague or black water fever) to the poisoning of the town's water supply. Naturally, it has gained the reputation of being extremely haunted.

Another popular urban legend is that of the bride of 13 Curves (Cedarvale Road). This is like many other roadside ghost stories heard around the U.S. There are a few variations to the story. One claims that a bride was killed in a car accident on her way to the wedding, supposedly she can be seen walking the road in a blood soaked wedding dress on Halloween night. Another version of the legend is that the bride and groom were involved in an accident on that road, only this time the groom died and the bride went crazy with grief and ended up dying old and alone in a mental institution. Supposedly after she died people started seeing the ghost of a bride walking the road, looking for the husband she lost so many years ago. This story was featured in the book Weird Hauntings.

One place we visited not too long ago that was very intriguing was Whiskey Hollow Road in the town of Van Buren. The road has a notorious reputation for being a site where either the KKK or satan worshippers held rituals. Supposedly locals were afraid to travel the road at night because of the things that took place there. We really didn't expect there to be much truth to the stories, but went there anyways, because that's our job (hobby), After the fact, when doing some research, I discovered the stories are quite true. The most intriguing thing to me was the fact that these things occurred in the 1980's, and only 20 years later they have become an urban legend that most people disbelieve.

I first became interested in Urban Legends when I was in high school and someone told me a story about a janitor who worked at the school who supposedly shot himself in the head on the tennis court. I really didn't believe it, but when I got home I told my mother about it and she told me "Yeah, he shot himself in the head, but it wasn't on the tennis court, it was in a house behind the school" Apparently the janitor used to be her room mate not long before she married my father. I had heard stories about him my whole life, but never expected that story to be about him. So that put the idea in my head that maybe urban legends do have shred of truth to them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users