- - - - -

EMF and ELF

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LCParanormals

LCParanormals

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:- Paranormal investigations<br />- Rock, mineral, and fossil collecting

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

EMF and ELF...what is the difference?

#2 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

EMF (electromagnetic frequency) The electromagnetic spectrum extends from below frequencies used for modern radio (at the long-wavelength end) through gamma radiation (at the short-wavelength end), covering wavelengths from thousands of kilometers down to a fraction the size of an atom. It is thought that the short wavelength limit is in the vicinity of the Planck length while the long wavelength limit is the size of the universe itself (see physical cosmology), although in principle the spectrum is infinite and continuous. (Wikipedia)

ELF (extremely low frequency) is the band of radio frequencies from 3 to 30 Hz, at one time used by the US Navy and Soviet/Russian Navy to communicate with submerged submarines. (Wikipedia)

In short, EMF can variate greatly in their frequency range whereas ELF is limited to the band between 3 to 30 Hz. If in any frequency range any type of disturbance or generation of an readable field would or should be considered, I would venture to guess they should fall outside the ELF range. It's not to say they are, but it takes power to generate a field, and it's plausible to consider that paranormal phenomena would not be physically able to generate the power required to manifest any reading within the ELF range.

Hope the descriptions help...the addendum is from my own thoughts.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#3 LCParanormals

LCParanormals

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:- Paranormal investigations<br />- Rock, mineral, and fossil collecting

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:44 PM

EMF (electromagnetic frequency) The electromagnetic spectrum extends from below frequencies used for modern radio (at the long-wavelength end) through gamma radiation (at the short-wavelength end), covering wavelengths from thousands of kilometers down to a fraction the size of an atom. It is thought that the short wavelength limit is in the vicinity of the Planck length while the long wavelength limit is the size of the universe itself (see physical cosmology), although in principle the spectrum is infinite and continuous. (Wikipedia)

ELF (extremely low frequency) is the band of radio frequencies from 3 to 30 Hz, at one time used by the US Navy and Soviet/Russian Navy to communicate with submerged submarines. (Wikipedia)

In short, EMF can variate greatly in their frequency range whereas ELF is limited to the band between 3 to 30 Hz. If in any frequency range any type of disturbance or generation of an readable field would or should be considered, I would venture to guess they should fall outside the ELF range. It's not to say they are, but it takes power to generate a field, and it's plausible to consider that paranormal phenomena would not be physically able to generate the power required to manifest any reading within the ELF range.

Hope the descriptions help...the addendum is from my own thoughts.

Yes, that helped very much....now here's another good one. When I began hunting we didn't have all those fancy EMF and ELF Meters. On a budget, which one do you think would be the best...

1. Gauss Master EMF Meter
2. CellSensor Gauss
3. Ghost Meter

Any suggestions would help.

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

Not sure what you mean by EMF. Are you refering to the Electromagnetic Field, as what an EMF meter detects ofr the frequency, which is simply one aspect of the field, (amplitude and directional polarization are two others.)

If you are refering to frequency, that is the rate in which the field changes polarity, posiive to negative and back again per second. (Not to be confused with directional polarization, which refers to the orientation of the field in space.) It covers the entire spectrum of wavelength, as dave stated.

The ELF is simply one small region of this spectrum, from 3 to 30 Hz, or cycles per second.

You ask about meters, I don't generally use a meter at all, opting instead for a monitoring system which allows me to hear the EM field rather than see a visual display of its intensity. But if I were selecting a meter I would use the Alphalabs trifield meter because of its extended frequency coverage. Many meters won't respond above about 300 hz, the trifield will extend into the microwave region thus giving a more concise coverage of any signals which may be present. Stray EM Fields can adversely affect your other equipment and should be isolated so you can take steps to insure this does not happen.

#5 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

The main reason for detecting ELF is that certain frequencies down there can play tricks on your emotions and perception.

10 Hz is known as the ghost frequency because it instills a sense of paranoia and a "haunted" feeling.

There is also a mystical "brown note" which is supposed to induce involuntary defecation (Mythbusters did an episode on this).

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#6 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

I thought it was 17-19Hz, Aloha.... Now I have to go look it up again...

#7 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:24 PM

I'm thinking of Infrasound though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users