What are demons?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 ~Derek~

~Derek~

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:57 AM

What are demons exactly? From a religious standpoint and a nonreligious standpoint?

#2 Max Marie

Max Marie

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

From a non-religious standpoint, demons don't exist.

For the non-religious, an encouter with a demon is simply a very strong ghost.

From a religious standpoint, a demon is a fallen angel.

As an individual who has been seeing things not of this world since childhood, I find it dangerous for those who say demons don't exist. The reverse is that "secular" paranormal investigators tend to think of those who believe in demons as silly.

#3 Ike

Ike

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:21 PM

From MY standpoint, Demons are a form of spirit that have been torn apart by emotion (IE. Grief, anger, depression, ect) That have been shaped into a other-worldly appearence.
Not all demons have that sparkle of mischeif in their eyes. Having encountered friendly ones, I can tell you that they are not eat-your-soul-and-take-your-body kind of thing. They simply enjoy mischief.
Thats great taylor and Imma let you continue, but Ghostvillage is the best paranormal site of all time~<3

#4 Gabby

Gabby

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:writing, the occult, paranormal, film, television, past lives, spirituality, anthropology, religious studies, divination, I Ching, Astrology, coincidences, painting, literature

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

From a non-religious standpoint, demons don't exist.

For the non-religious, an encouter with a demon is simply a very strong ghost.

From a religious standpoint, a demon is a fallen angel.

As an individual who has been seeing things not of this world since childhood, I find it dangerous for those who say demons don't exist. The reverse is that "secular" paranormal investigators tend to think of those who believe in demons as silly.

I'm kind of on the fence about demons. I have learned over time that my sleep paralysis was not in fact a 'demon' but you would be surprised how many people are quick to assume it is some creature...especially people who are into the paranormal. I find it's safer to believe it's a sleep problem then someone tried to tell me I was possessed....but I quickly backed out of that.

I believe in magical creatures and though evil exists to an extent I do not think any one thing can be pure evil...
"Science without the spirit is humanity without a conscience"Me“An idea, like a ghost, must be spoken to a little before it will explain itself.”Charles Dickens Gabzyreach me here: AOL

#5 ~Derek~

~Derek~

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:14 PM

I've saw cases on the show Paranormal State and I've been interesting on what is perceived as a demon and what is not. I'd say I'm still an agnostic on the subject of ghosts, but there seems to be so much evidence for them at times but at the time I look to science, demons are something deeper in the paranormal community. What are demons reported as looking like?

#6 CrystalEyz

CrystalEyz

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

Hi Derek, Demons are actually entities for lack of a better word, they are NOT spirits, ghosts or people who once lived. Granted there are some rotten evil people who are as nasty in death as they were alive, but there is no comparison. These entities are extremely intelligent, and have abilities that you could never imagine. I have seen some on PRS too and other paranormal shows, and they need to be banished and sent back to where they came from. Hope that explanation helps..CE

#7 ~Derek~

~Derek~

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:47 PM

Hi Derek, Demons are actually entities for lack of a better word, they are NOT spirits, ghosts or people who once lived. Granted there are some rotten evil people who are as nasty in death as they were alive, but there is no comparison. These entities are extremely intelligent, and have abilities that you could never imagine. I have seen some on PRS too and other paranormal shows, and they need to be banished and sent back to where they came from. Hope that explanation helps..CE

Thanks, it helped, can a spirit become a demon? And what is the astral plane also, is that where demons dwell?

#8 CrystalEyz

CrystalEyz

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

[quote name='~Derek~' date='May 20 2009, 11:47 PM' post='518857']
[quote name='CrystalEyz' post='518853' date='May 20 2009, 10:36 PM']Hi Derek, Demons are actually entities for lack of a better word, they are NOT spirits, ghosts or people who once lived. Granted there are some rotten evil people who are as nasty in death as they were alive, but there is no comparison. These entities are extremely intelligent, and have abilities that you could never imagine. I have seen some on PRS too and other paranormal shows, and they need to be banished and sent back to where they came from. Hope that explanation helps..CE

Thanks, it helped, can a spirit become a demon? And what is the astral plane also, is that where demons dwell?

NO spirits/ghosts are called human spirits because they lived and died. Spirits can be malevolant, and cause lots of problems, but they dont have the abilities the Demonic has..Demons belong in Hell, however their one agenda is to destroy humans, they detest us. Its up to us, if we have an encounter to send them back, with help of clergy and or demonologists etc. I dont know about the astral plane, but I do know about Demons. I will leave you with this. "DONT be curious, dont go looking for one and never ever summons one." CE

#9 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:21 PM

If you look around the world, demons are malevolent non-human beings that come in all flavors and sizes. Definitely supernatural, more powerful than humans. Stay far, far away from them. There is a sub-species from Christian mythology known as devils, reputed to be fallen angels. Same general characteristics, but suseptible to Christian religious artifacts and rituals.

Both types are very rare and none of them are something anyone should mess with. Do believe that a lot of the 'demonic encounters' are really sociopathic or psychotic human spirits, very strong with no moral filters.

Think that a high proportion of these encounters make it to the media as they make for good ratings. They are not as common as would seem on the tube.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#10 Ike

Ike

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

Does it matter at all that i have met a friendly demon?
(I'm serious.)
Thats great taylor and Imma let you continue, but Ghostvillage is the best paranormal site of all time~<3

#11 seakla

seakla

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interests are reading and writing. I also love to research my genealogy and love to research other little historical people or events that catch my attention. I am really getting into homespun crafts and have recently learned howe to weave a basket, make my own paper and am currently learning to carve wood. <br /><br />I am married (10 years in 2006) and have two daughters who will be 10 and 8 in 2006. We all enjoy hanging around outside in our own yard, but also are fond of grabbing a South Carolina map, looking at it and saying &quot;this looks like a cool place&quot; and we will take off and drive there. <br /><br />I also enjoy meeting other people and learning about other places and cultures and have a few penpals that I am trying to be better at writing to regularly.

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

I am pagan, so keep that in mind when reading so you will know where I am coming from. :-)

Personally, I feel demons are just a non-human evil entity. I don't think they have ever been human so its not a bad-person-gone-to-hell type of thing. As for fallen angel, possibly. However, not being Christian I don't call them demons or angels but rather good or positive and bad or negative entities. So, possibly it is a good entity gone bad. To me DEMON and ANGEL or Christian/Catholic terms. Meaning, that I might call it an evil spirit or evil entity or engery but a Catholic might call it a demon. So...I saw soda, you say pop. Same thing.

I do think there are varying levels as well...more evil demons, if you will. And really, I guess that is all I have to say on the topic. lol Not a lot of insight, mind you, but my opinion at any rate. :-)
Believe and you will be rewarded~Check out my newest release: Magick for the Kitchen WitchVisit my site http://seakla.tripod.com for an autographed copy or purchase it at any online bookstore [

#12 blueturtle

blueturtle

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

(I'm serious.)

It matters to me as I have met a friendly demon too, apparently there are several different kinds of demons, some real bad and some good, and some like the one I met say to have renounced their powers to never use them again. I think many misunderstand demons, even the hunters that go after them.
This friend of mine says she renounced her powers and as long as she does not use them she can live in peace. Maybe the old ancient texts are right about demons beings deities and not the bad things people think. I think Hollywood has scared many people.

#13 CrystalEyz

CrystalEyz

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:58 AM

If you look around the world, demons are malevolent non-human beings that come in all flavors and sizes. Definitely supernatural, more powerful than humans. Stay far, far away from them. There is a sub-species from Christian mythology known as devils, reputed to be fallen angels. Same general characteristics, but suseptible to Christian religious artifacts and rituals.

Both types are very rare and none of them are something anyone should mess with. Do believe that a lot of the 'demonic encounters' are really sociopathic or psychotic human spirits, very strong with no moral filters.

Think that a high proportion of these encounters make it to the media as they make for good ratings. They are not as common as would seem on the tube.

I must respectfully disagree. The "few" that made it to the media, such as "A Haunting" are true events, only re-enacted. People seem to think that Demonic hauntings are rare, or maybe they want to. They are NOT as rare as most think. Professionals can tell the difference between a Demonic and a malevolant spirit (that once lived). Mean spirits, are nothing like Demonics, and they do not have the same abilities. They can be horrible, but nothing like a Demon. JMO..CE

#14 CrystalEyz

CrystalEyz

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:04 AM

(I'm serious.)

It matters to me as I have met a friendly demon too, apparently there are several different kinds of demons, some real bad and some good, and some like the one I met say to have renounced their powers to never use them again. I think many misunderstand demons, even the hunters that go after them.
This friend of mine says she renounced her powers and as long as she does not use them she can live in peace. Maybe the old ancient texts are right about demons beings deities and not the bad things people think. I think Hollywood has scared many people.

IMO there is no such thing as a "friendly demon." Afterall they are called EVIL which doesnt mean friendly. If perhaps one has an encounter and thinks its friendly its one of two things. Either its a spirit or a Demonic disguising itself as friendly, and they have the abilities to be whatever they want to gain your trust and acknowledgement. I actually think popular movies of demonic hauntings such as Amityville, A Haunting in Georgia, etc, educate the public. For anyone who is afraid, there is nothing to be afraid of, if they dont mess with the occult or summons one. JMO.>CE

#15 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:21 PM

Ok, let's really muddy up the waters by going to the root definition and the root perception of 'demon'

From Wikipedia:

The words daemon, dæmon, are Latinized spellings of the Greek δαίμων (daimôn),[1] used purposely today to distinguish the daemons of Ancient Greek religion, good or malevolent "supernatural beings between mortals and gods, such as inferior divinities and ghosts of dead heroes" (see Plato's Symposium), from the Judeo-Christian usage demon, a malignant spirit that can seduce, afflict, or possess humans.[2]

Though in Homer the words θεοί (gods) and δαίμονες (divinities) were practically synonymous, later writers like Plato developed a distinction between the two.[6] Plato in Cratylus (398 :clap: gives the etymology of δαίμονες (daimones) from δαήμονες (daēmones) (=knowing or wise), though in fact the root of the word is more probably daiō (=to distribute destinies).[7] In Plato's Symposium, the priestess Diotima teaches Socrates that love is not a god, but rather a "great daemon" (202d). She goes on to explain that "everything daemonic is between divine and mortal" (202d-e), and she describes daemons as "interpreting and transporting human things to the gods and divine things to men; entreaties and sacrifices from below, and ordinances and requitals from above..." (202e). In Plato's Apology of Socrates, Socrates claimed to have a daimonion (literally, a "divine something")[8] that frequently warned him - in the form of a "voice" - against mistakes but never told him what to do.[9] However, the Platonic Socrates never refers to the daimonion as a daimōn; it was always an impersonal "something" or "sign".[10]

The Hellenistic Greeks divided daemons into good and evil categories: Eudaemons (also called Kalodaemons) and Kakodaemons, respectively. Eudaemons resembled the Abrahamic idea of the guardian angel; they watched over mortals to help keep them out of trouble. (Thus eudaemonia, originally the state of having a eudaemon, came to mean "well-being" or "happiness".) A comparable Roman genius accompanied a person or protected and haunted a place (genius loci).

The notion of the daemon as a spiritual being of a lowly order that is largely evil and certainly dangerous has its origin in Plato and his pupil Xenocrates;[11] when the later connotation is read back anachronistically into Homer, the result is distorting:[12] "To emancipate oneself from Plato's manner of speech is no easy matter", Walter Burkert remarked.[13] Daemons scarcely figure in Greek mythology or Greek art: like keres their felt but unseen presence was assumed. There was one exception: the "Good Daemon" Agathos Daemon, who was honored first with a libation in ceremonial wine-drinking, and especially in the sanctuary of Dionysus, and whose numinous presence was signaled in iconography by a chthonic serpent.

After the time of Plato, in the Hellenistic ruler-cult that began with Alexander himself, it was not the ruler but his guiding daemon that was venerated, for in Hellenistic times, the daimon was external to the man whom it inspired and guided, who was "possessed" by this motivating spirit.[14] Similarly, the first-century Romans began by venerating the genius of Augustus, a distinction that blurred in time.

Daemons were important in Neo-Platonic philosophy. In Neoplatonism, a daemon was more like a demigod rather than an evil spirit, as Eros was described as in-between the gods and humankind. In the Christian reception of Platonism, the eudaemons were identified with the angels

The North African Apuleius summed up their character in the On The God of Socrates (2nd century AD): "For, to encompass them by a definition, dæmones are living beings in kind, rational creatures in mind, susceptible to emotion in spirit, in body composed of the ær, everlasting in time. Of these five points I have listed, the first three are shared with us, the fourth is their own, the last they have in common with the immortal gods; but they differ from them in their capacity to suffer" The Hellenic and Roman gods were increasingly seen as immovable, untouched by human sorrows and suffering, existing in a perfect heavenly sphere (compare Epicurus, Lucretius). The dæmones were earthbound, passion-tormented, and in Late Antiquity, loremasters were separating them into the noble kinds and troublemaking kinds. The gnostic followers of Valentinus multiplied the circles of dæmons and gave them oversight in various areas of concern to people: oracles, animals, and, interestingly, as "patron dæmons" of nations or occupations (compare Principalities and Patron saint).

The lore of Hermes Trismegistus is a source both for pagan and Christian conceptions of dæmons, for in the Corpus Hermeticum, they functioned as the gatekeepers of the spheres through which souls passed on their way to the highest heaven, the Empyrean. The Early Medieval St. Gall sacramentary testifies to the continuity of this belief of dæmones in the oldest extant prayer for anointing the dying:

"I anoint you with sanctified oil that in the manner of a warrior prepared through anointing for battle you will be able to prevail over the aery hordes."

In the process of Christianizing Roman populations in the official Christianity from the late 4th century, theologians, hermits and monks, and the bishops and presbyters who influenced individuals, had their own repertoire of ideas, which were derived from Scripture and from the ambient culture of Late Antiquity. Within the Christian tradition, ideas of "demons" derived as much from the literature that came to be regarded as apocryphal and heretical as it did from the literature accepted as canonical.

And from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon

In religion, folklore, mythology and spirituality a demon (or daemon, dæmon, daimon from Greek: δαίμων daimōn) is a supernatural being that is generally described as a malevolent spirit. In Christian terms demons are generally understood as fallen angels, formerly of God. A demon is frequently depicted as a force that may be conjured and insecurely controlled.

The Greek conception of a daemon (< δαίμων daimōn) appears in the works of Plato and many other ancient authors, but without the evil connotations which are apparent in the Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Bible and in the Greek originals of the New Testament. The medieval and neo-medieval conception of a "demon" in Western civilization (see the Medieval grimoire called the Ars Goetia) derives seamlessly from the ambient popular culture of Late (Roman) Antiquity. Greco-Roman concepts of daemons that passed into Christian culture are discussed in the entry daemon, though it should be duly noted that the term referred only to a spiritual force, not a malevolent supernatural being. The Hellenistic "daemon" eventually came to include many Semitic and Near Eastern gods as evaluated by Christianity.

The supposed existence of demons is an important concept in many modern religions and occultist traditions. In some present-day cultures, demons are still feared in popular superstition, largely due to their alleged power to possess living creatures.

In the contemporary Western occultist tradition (perhaps epitomized by the work of Aleister Crowley), a demon, such as Choronzon, the "Demon of the Abyss", is a useful metaphor for certain inner psychological processes, though some may also regard it as an objectively real phenomenon.

Some scholars[2] believe that large portions of the demonology (see Asmodai) of Judaism, a key influence on Christianity and Islam, originated in Zoroastrianism, and were transferred to Judaism during the Persian era.

The idea of demons is as old as religion itself, and the word demon seems to have ancient origins. The Merriam-Webster dictionary gives the etymology of the word as Greek daimon, probably from the verb daiesthai meaning "to divide, distribute." The Proto-Indo-European root *deiwos for god, originally an adjective meaning "celestial" or "bright, shining" has retained this meaning in many related Indo-European languages and cultures (Sanskrit deva, Latin deus, German Tiw, Welsh [Duw],]), but also provided another other common word for demon in Avestan daeva.

In modern Greek, the word daimon (Greek: δαίμων) has the same meaning as the modern English demon. But in Ancient Greek, δαίμων meant "spirit" or "higher self", much like the Latin genius. This should not, however, be confused with the word genie, which is a false friend or false cognate of genius.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users