• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#1 amy_gorg

amy_gorg

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 02:32 AM

has any body heard of bloody mary ....???? its a tid bit like the candyman story ...but u have to sit in front of a candlelit mirror (in the dark) and say bloody mary 13 times and she is meant to appear behind you ???

#2 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 07:17 AM

Oh Bloody Mary is a good one! Except when we were kids you only had to say her name 3 times. We would go into the dark and  could only manage to get out two bloody marys before we'd run out screaming. To this day i don't think i would try it! The thought of some scary women's face in the mirror---eeek!
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#3 OwlGoddess

OwlGoddess

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 08:00 AM

this is a popular urban legend that i've heard of from many sources.  

if you like urban legends and weird tales that *might* be true - and amy_gorg, it seems that you do, you might check out this radio program:

http://www.thislife.org/

i don't know if you are an NPR listener, but some NPR radio stations carry "This American Life."  they're true stories of the strangeness of american life... often hip, ironic, sometimes scary.

if you go the website above, type in "bloody mary" into the search field. it will take you to "staff favorites," and you can listen to the episode about "stories from camp" in which there is a tantalizing bit about some children summoning bloody mary in a mirror.  i think the rest of the stories in that episode are pretty good too.

once in awhile, they cover urban legends... most of their shows are archived, so if you're able to stream audio, you can listen around to more episodes if it seems to be of interest to you.

good luck!
O.G.
Life's waters flow from darkness; Search the darkness, don't run from it.--Rumi

#4 Gregory

Gregory

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 08:22 AM

I've hear of this one.  I was seventeen before I could muster up the nerve to actually try it.  When nothing hapopened, I didn't know whether to be relieved or disappointed.
What Would Batman Do?

#5 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 09:50 AM

The only time I've heard of this working went like this. A sellow sat in front of a mirror. The lighting was subdued. Soft music played in the backround. He said, "Bloody Mary" and waited. Nothing. He said it again, louder, "Bloody Mary". Still nothing, finaly in a loud Clear voice he cried out, "BLOODY MARY!!". and this time...

this time.........

the bartender said, "As soon as I pour these beers"  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#6 amy_gorg

amy_gorg

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 01:45 PM

v.funny.....i heard that several people were killed by her or they got there eyes scratched out by her .....me and my friends used to joke about doing it in the dark we said it would be alright because she would probably dissappear when you turn the light on....it would be BAD_WORD scary if she didn't disappear .......hehehehe ;D

#7 Camille

Camille

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 08:47 PM

The Bloody Mary legend is one of the most fascinating ones out there.  I will even admit that I will NOT do all 13 chants in front of the mirror.   :)  

In our neck of the woods, the name of the psychotic face-scratcher is Mary Worth.  During a slumber party when I was 10 or 11 years old, I first heard about it from another girl.  She said she went through it and got "cat scratches" across her forehead later.  So, ya know, it must be true.   ;)

Recently, I researched and featured a unique variation on the Bloody Mary legend on my website.  Here's a link if anyone's interested:

http://deadohio.com/bloodymary.htm

In this case, "Bloody Mary" was an old hag who resorted to witchcraft to attract the attention of a young male sailor that struck her fancy.   *Supposedly,* she kidnapped young girls, killed them, and used prime body parts to construct a life-size doll to lure the sailor.  He accidently drowned, and she went even more crazy after that.  *Supposedly,* she lives under the waters of Lake Erie and will sneak around houses along the lake at night, peering into the windows looking for the next pretty girl to replace the rotting parts of her doll.  

I think the gender themes behind this story alone will keep any women's study class in discussion for at least a week.  Anyway, I thought that this was the most interesting variation on the tale I've come across.  (For horror movie buffs, check out the movie "May," which uses many elements of this tale in its storyline.   Oh, and "Candyman.").

Other than books, here are some links to great websites that expound upon the whole Bloody Mary legend.  Some pretty interesting stuff.  Enjoy!

http://www.snopes.co...osts/bloody.htm

http://www.mythology...bloodymary.html
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite."Bertrand Russell"You're going to go to McDonald's... you'll order an Egg McMuffin and some coffee... WAIT! They're going to forget your extra salt! Remind them to give you salt, please!!"Ed Closser, Trivial Psychic

#8 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 10:40 AM

Camille,

Thank you for a wonderful link. SO VERY INFORMATIVE.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#9 Amirri

Amirri

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 03:05 AM

Bloody Mary is one that I have always been a little leery about. Even though I stood in front of the mirror and did the whole chanting her name thing, it didn't work but maybe that was because I was at church, hmmm, but anyway.
the story that I heard about her was that she was a young girl who went to a party with a bunch of her friends had a few drinks and got seperated from her group, well, she was wandering around got attacked and hacked up. now if a man calls her name she will appear in her hacked up form and rip his *explative* off...lol...sounds stupid now but when your ten..its a different story....any way..thats my story and Im sticking to it.... :)

• Guests

Posted 03 November 2003 - 05:17 AM

i have never heard that version before but it sounds a little bit BAD_WORDed up is it the man that rips his unmetionables off ...... :o i bet your glad that you sed her name in a church i have don't once or twice but nothing happened ....thank god ......but my old friend did it and when she switched the lights back on she had scrathes on her face and back .....but these days i think she put them there her self ..... but i still think supernatural stuff is real is ace i also think that bloody mary is just the female version of the candyman only candyman is a bit more messy

#11 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:09 PM

Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary Bloody Mary!

Just thought I would try it here and see if she appeared in my comptuter monitor! (Nothing happened-she didn't come out of it like in  "The Ring" ) Too scared to say it in the mirror! LOL [smiley=cwm12.gif] [smiley=cwm12.gif] [smiley=cwm12.gif] [smiley=cwm12.gif] [smiley=cwm12.gif]
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#12 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:31 PM

I did bloody mary twice with success.  Once at my elementary school in Utah, once at school in Hawaii.

We turned off the lights, turned on hot water (don't remember why), and put our hands against the mirror.  We repeated the name 9 times, then a face appeared.  Two arms reached out for us, but we turned the lights on, breaking the spell.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#13 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:34 PM

No Way Aloha! What did she look like!

#14 lmackey

lmackey

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 06:29 PM

I remember doing this at slumber parties as a child.  We would never finish because by the 2nd Bloody Mary one of us would get too frightened and run outof the room, letting light pour into the bathroom, ruining it for anyone who truely wanted to finish it.
lmackey, the (Ghost) Village Idiot

#15 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 08 January 2004 - 07:13 PM

No Way Aloha! What did she look like!

It was a red face with shadows where the eyes, nose, and mouth should be.  The arms were thin as bones.  I remember telling people that the water glowed white, but I don't know if that was part of an embellishment or not :)  The sad thing about sharing stories is you tend to forget what actually happened versus what you've told over the years.

Another related "game" is Rise Table where you get the table to levitate by itself.  My brother brought back a story from New Zealand about Rise Table.  I'll email him and get the details.  Again, his account is probably an urban legend.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users