• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#16 sketchkat00

sketchkat00

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:01 AM

I remember when I was in 3rd grade my teacher Mrs. Kilpatrick made a life size paper machae Bloody Mary. It was painted all red and was wearing her clothes and a black wig, she had it in the front of the class next to the chalk board. So you couldn't miss it.  She then told us the legend about her.  I don't remember her  version.  But than I don't remember much about her class except this. I do know that because of this life size version I really thought it real. I became afraid of mirrors(all mirrors) at night.  I would never go into the bathroom if dark, and if there was a mirror in my room I would cover it or turn it around.  It really freaked me out. Heck I was only 8. Unfortunately it took to the age of 30 to get over it.  

nikol
Life is what happens when you just make plans"

#17 Bridget

Bridget

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:15 AM

Gosh, what a firghtening thing to do to a bunch of 8 year olds! Nowadays she probably would have been sued by some parents!
If it looks like an orb, floats like an orb, it must be an orb!If you're reading this, you're too close!________________________________________________Posted Image

#18 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 29 January 2004 - 08:41 AM

well, do the so called ADULTS consider children's feeligns and reaction doing such nonsense?
Posted Image

#19 Mykiedave

Mykiedave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 02:15 PM

Lately I've been hearing a mixture of the Bloody MAry story and the La Llorna(sp) "Weeping Lady" of the South West. Somehow they seem to have combined. They work well together. VERY creepy.
Growing old is mandatory... growing UP is optional.I didn't say it was YOUR fault, I SAID I was going to BLAME you.The nice thing about being Senile is, I can hide my own Easter Eggs.Posted Image

#20 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 02:26 PM

if that was one of my kids' the teacher wouldnt have to make one out of paper mache, she'd be the next verison of the legand...
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#21 secretsign

secretsign

Loves to take trash and make treasures

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 03:27 PM

Oh my stars! I can't believe a teacher would do that and even get away with it. That could warp some kids for life.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh Good health and every blessing to you

#22 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 05 February 2004 - 09:36 AM

A couple of you have mentioned the candyman... and a guy named Clive Barker *all bow to the greatness of his creativity* made that myth up.  He wanted to write a short story (later turned into a film) about the effects of myths, but didn't want to use an already existant myth, because he felt it would ruin that myth and the story, and he couldn't be bothered to do the research.  So Candyman was born.
He grew up in the north of England so would have heard the bloody mary myth in relation to the old monarch who killed rather a lot of people in the name of the church... my guess is that he based the candyman idea around that, the calling of him anyway.
Apparently Clive Barker never meant it to become a full blown myth itself, that just happened....

this is a good link for bloody mary;
http://www.miaminewt...html/page1.html
a little worrying too.

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#23 aloha_spirit

aloha_spirit

I'm 100% Poi Dog!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Books, Movies, Nature, Religion.

Posted 07 February 2004 - 12:20 AM

a little worrying too.

I couldn't finish reading the page without crying.  Amazing, but sad.  Thanks for sharing.

I didn't lose my mind - I have it backed up on a disk ... somewhere

#24 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 04:21 AM

Heartbreaking
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#25 Tabythah

Tabythah

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Location:x1|Sudbury|Canada|canada|329|367|ON,Ontariox1|Sudbury|Canada|canada|329|367|ON,Ontario

Posted 10 February 2004 - 05:21 PM

The version I've heard was that of Queen Mary who killed young girls, for what reason I can't remember. I read about it in "The most evil men and women in history" Very interesting book by the way. Also mentions Vlad the Implaler and Countess Bathory. Since Candy Man was made, in the 90's I believe I'd have to assume he based it on the bloody mary myth then creating it, since Bloody Mary has been around for a while.

#26 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 06:37 PM

I think Queen Mary was a very jealous woman and kill the girls because of beauty among other things.  But I have done the same thing trying bloody mary at the age of 8.  Some Spooky times. :)

#27 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,387 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:29 AM

a little worrying too.

thanks for the link
Posted Image

#28 freak_out55

freak_out55

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Location:x0|Haunted WI|USA||0|0|x0|Haunted WI|USA||0|0|x0|Haunted WI|USA||0|0|x0|Haunted WI|USA||0|0|x0|Haunted WI|USA||0|0|x0|Haunted WI

Posted 12 February 2004 - 04:35 PM

Hi-I've heard of Bloody Mary--lets see--when I was 6.  My best friend told me.  I tried it once, but it didn't really work.
Has anyone heard of Baby Blue?  You're supposed to say "Baby Blue" 100 times in the mirror at midnight (aren't they all at midnight?) and a glowing blue baby appears in your arms.  You have to rockit until morning, but the catch is, the baby get heavier and heavier, and if you drop it, you die.
Sounds too much like a summer camp thing, though.

#29 mellilotflower

mellilotflower

Freaked out by toe socks?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, Knitting, Ornithology, folklore and fairies

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:44 AM

how are you supposed to say the name a hundred times in one moment? or is it that you just start at midnight? I dunno, I've never heard that one personnaly.

What's always got me is that no one has any actual incentive to say these things- aside to prove that it isnt real, so why did anyone say it in the first place?  I mean, why not have a myth that goes if you say suchandsuch in the mirror so many times, a leprechaun appears and if you grab him real quick he has to give you all his gold, only if you don't he'll curse you for bothering him and all your hair will fall out... see that way you add a little extra interest.

And Bloody mary, wasn't she the catholic monarch of the tudors, who tried to change the country from being protestant along with her husband Philip of spain... only it didn't work and her sister elizabeth just undid all of her work, sent her to the tower and reigned long and happy?
Or is it mary of scotland?
I get confused... but I was pretty sure as a kid it was one of those??

The point which I should first wish to understand is whether the pious or holy is beloved by the gods because it is holy, or holy because it is beloved of the gods.

Sonnet XCIVBut if that flower with base infection meet,The basest weed outbraves his dignity:For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds

#30 ghosthunter1010

ghosthunter1010

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 03:48 AM

during family genealogy I think they maybe talking about the Mary of Scotland.  I will have to look again and see what I come up with. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users