wicca christians

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

Looks Irish, loves Italian food, lives in Canada....must be lost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

Why don't you consider Wicca to be a true religion? Just what to you think all people who practice Wicca are doing? And just what do you define as a true religion?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#32 Laurie Ann

Laurie Ann

Your imagination IS running off with you!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Interests:I love to do yard work, re-arrange my home constantly, draw and get tattoos that have significant meaning to me, garage sales/yard sales fanatic. My home is haunted by I believe 2 spirits, so I'm never alone when everyone is asleep! I'm trying to label the gifts I have, although I try to keep them a secret from my husband..he wouldn't understand. My 20 year old is now living on his own and does so great! My 6 year old is a little me, and the baby will be 5 December. He's about 8-12 months behind, but that smile...that beautiful smile.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

And just what do you define as a true religion?

I'm interested in your answer to this as well.
~Women are angels...and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We're flexible like that.~

#33 Morraeon

Morraeon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

And just what do you define as a true religion?

I'm interested in your answer to this as well.

Thirded, and no doubt almost every new religion that has emerged has probably met with the "That's not a real religion" rebuttal some time early in it's history...

#34 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

I believe Spirituality is possible without religion..... I believe it is some where between your higher self and your ego.
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

#35 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Trying not to step on the land mines that others have planted in front of me. No sense saying more, as this will be removed anyway.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

I believe Spirituality is possible without religion..... I believe it is some where between your higher self and your ego.

Is the higher self you cite the super ego.? Then I assume then the ego and id must fit in somewhere or do they? Now where did I place my Psych.101 book?

#36 MoonChild

MoonChild

Undead giant that feasts on hotdogs!

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,360 posts
  • Interests:I want to help people to re-connect with themselves. Rock Music, Football (European League), Animals (cat lover), Travel, Cars, Speed, Nature, Super Natural.

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:09 AM

I agree completely with the first statement here. Though Spiritual Transcedence was the basic focus of having the religion formulated, somewhere the politics raped the religion and the mutant is not something that is good for the humankind.

Regarding your second statement, I would love to know more, what exactly you meant.
Posted Image

#37 venusmoon32

venusmoon32

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writting, Paranormal Events, Nature walks,etc....<br />Also I enjoy spending time at events with my kids .My major intrest lies with the old religion, witch doctors, and nature from here and beyound without the laws of the people.

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:13 AM

I agree completely with the first statement here. Though Spiritual Transcedence was the basic focus of having the religion formulated, somewhere the politics raped the religion and the mutant is not something that is good for the humankind.

Regarding your second statement, I would love to know more, what exactly you meant.

Like Phantom Monk...where is my Psy 101 book!!! I think what I was driving for was..Spirituality coming from the part of the brain deeper than just the human drive.
Where you have the potential to pickup on the elecctromagnetic impulses.... obtaining a deeper understanding of self and feelings for humanity( empathy...etc..)..
Being able to both understand self and apply to those people,places,and things around you.. Some where on this realm was were I was aiming for with that statement. Posted Image Sometimes I get beside my self with my words and Posted Image when I can't get things out the way I want them..
If Angels had Wings and Devils had Horns then We must of been born with the Thorns.. Tweezers anyone??,Someone?!..

#38 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Trying not to step on the land mines that others have planted in front of me. No sense saying more, as this will be removed anyway.

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

Like Phantom Monk...where is my Psy 101 book!!! I think what I was driving for was..Spirituality coming from the part of the brain deeper than just the human drive.
Where you have the potential to pickup on the elecctromagnetic impulses.... obtaining a deeper understanding of self and feelings for humanity( empathy...etc..)..
Being able to both understand self and apply to those people,places,and things around you.. Some where on this realm was were I was aiming for with that statement. Posted Image Sometimes I get beside my self with my words and Posted Image when I can't get things out the way I want them..

Makes perfectly good sense to me.Now.

#39 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

maybe body, personality and soul might work better? Just a thought.

Also, I was roaming around my bookstore and found a book titled Shamanic Christianity. I didn't pick it up at the time, but did look it over and it looks like it uses trace states to get closer to Christ. Might be interesting.
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#40 Morraeon

Morraeon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

maybe body, personality and soul might work better? Just a thought.

Also, I was roaming around my bookstore and found a book titled Shamanic Christianity. I didn't pick it up at the time, but did look it over and it looks like it uses trace states to get closer to Christ. Might be interesting.

Mm, certain forms of Christian meditation and the experiences of some mystics certainly sound like shamanic experiences. And the Church always talks about the priest saying Mass or hearing confessions as standing in the place of Christ: I think if more priests would take this to heart and actually try and channel Him somehow, it would make the experience of confession more like a heart-to-heart with God and less like going to the dentist or the doctor's office for a physical.

#41 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:09 AM

I know some Wicca ministers and priests, though not their primary role, they apparently don't see any conflict. :P

#42 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts
  • Interests:knitting, crocheting, writing, cats, paranormal phenomena, cryptzoology, Monty Python

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:21 AM

I know some Wicca ministers and priests, though not their primary role, they apparently don't see any conflict. :P

And how do these people feel about you not considering their religion to be a real one?

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#43 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

There is no question Wicca is a religion, as are many others. The terminology though becomes problematic regarding the word "true". Fact is most religions consider theirs to be correct, therefore other religions are false. Thus a practitioner of any religion will deem others to be false because they worship a false god. That holds for Christianity, Buddism, Hinduism, or even Wicca. Each considers theirs to be true and others false. Because I don't worship the gods and goddesses of Wicca I consider it false because I consider these dieties false. But that is not to say it is not a religion. In fact any form orf worship that recognizes any form of supreme being would qualify as a religion. It all falls into semantics and how the words are defined... Confused?
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#44 Vampchick21

Vampchick21

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

funny, I don't consider any other religion to be false in that sense.

Unless they're making you drink the Kool-Aid.

Krafted with luv

by monsters

#45 Shawn333

Shawn333

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

I've been through twelve years of Catholic school and studied theology during one year of Catholic college. My problem isn't the teachings, my problem is the social climate in the Church. To put it another way, my problem isn't with God, my problem is with His fanclub. I'm tired of dealing with priests who are more concerned about revenues and Mass attendance than the people those revenues are coming from, and I'm sick of dealing with Catholics who are less than accepting toward some of the things which make me who I am (single and not interested in getting married and having a pewful of kids, as well as being bisexual).

The one religious group which has been accepting of this, or should I say, the friends and acquaintances who accept who I am as I am, happen to be Wiccan, and I can't help but be attracted to a religion which allows this. I don't feel comfortable with breaking away and worshiping different gods or goddesses (and I get a bit annoyed with the kinds of Wiccans who seem like they're always talking about "the Goddess/the Lady" and seem to mention the God/the Lord almost as an afterthought), so perhaps worshiping God as I know Him through a different medium would be the way to go. I don't know, I'm just testing the waters.

G.K. Chesterton once said, "There are two ways to go home. One is never to leave it, and the other is to walk all the way around the world until you return to it.". I think I need to take that walk around the world, since home right now doesn't really feel like a hospitable place.

Hmm...it sounds to me like there are still things about your old faith that you like and don't want to leave, but your church wasn't very accepting of who you are. Have you ever thought about looking into groups for gay and lesbian Christians? It often surprises a lot of people to know there are such things. They may not be very catholic per se, but still might be what you're looking for. Also though I don't know much about the particular denomination, I do know that most Episcopal Churches are now ordaining gay and lesbian ministers. I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by suggesting religions, but just thought I'd throw out the suggestions as things that might be what you're looking for.

As for the thread subject of Wiccan Christians, I once lived with one for a couple of years. Really though I considered her more of a Wiccan who just didn't want to totally discard her Catholic faith that she was brought up in. In her case she almost seemed to want to still cling to it out of a superstitious fear not to. I noticed most of her Wiccan friends were ex-Catholics, or Catholics who were brought up in that religion but just didn't find it satisfying for whatever reasons.

I think when we ask whether it's possible for someone to be a Wiccan Christian, you have to consider what the person thinks about each religion who answers. By most Christians own beliefs they would say no. It makes no theological sense and would be contradictory. By most Wiccan's beliefs I think they would also say no. But if someone doesn't hold to the same dogmatic and rigid ideas about what Christianity and Wicca are, and they want to mix the two, then of course it's possible. They just won't be very orthodox in either one, but maybe they'll find a spiritual path that benefits them.

Edited by Shawn333, 31 July 2009 - 06:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users