5 replies to this topic

#1 acdcfreak

acdcfreak

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:ac/dc, the paranormal, led zeppelin, bugging my elders

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:04 AM

would you recomend a old school tape recorder and a 3.0 megapixel camera for a begining ghost hunter??

jonathan
http://www.facebook....amp;ref=profile feel free to add me, i'm da dude"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. And enjoy your hot chocolate mindfully."

#2 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

would you recomend a old school tape recorder and a 3.0 megapixel camera for a begining ghost hunter??

jonathan

You don't say what make / model tape recorder, but assuming a reasonable quality (not one of those voice only dictating machines!) I would recommend that over any of the digital voice recorders for any investigator, new or old. Stereo recording is a plus as well. You would likely have to spend around $200 to get a similar quality digital recorder (The H2). Of course that assumes your tape recorder is in good condition and operating to its original specs.

The camera is another matter. 3 mpix is kind of small. It would do for some non-critical uses, but I would like to see 5 mpix or more for serious research
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#3 acdcfreak

acdcfreak

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:ac/dc, the paranormal, led zeppelin, bugging my elders

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:32 AM

i don't know what model the tape recorder is it is a non digital one from the mid nineties

the camera has taken some good orb pics and i will post them eventualy. my mom's money is tight with the car crash, the new microwave, and a new fridge but i will have no trouble borrowing one from my friend for the investigation

my goal is to get the best results possible

jonathan
http://www.facebook....amp;ref=profile feel free to add me, i'm da dude"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. And enjoy your hot chocolate mindfully."

#4 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

For tape recorders I would recommend one with an external mic as the internal mics seem to pick up mechanical noise from the machine itself.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#5 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:53 PM

i don't know what model the tape recorder is it is a non digital one from the mid nineties

the camera has taken some good orb pics and i will post them eventualy. my mom's money is tight with the car crash, the new microwave, and a new fridge but i will have no trouble borrowing one from my friend for the investigation

my goal is to get the best results possible

jonathan

Like I say no way of making a recommendation without knowing make / model. If by tape recorder you mean one of the old reel to reel jobs they are generally excellent for EVP work. Provided you can lug them around, light and compact is not one of their features! But preformanc ewise they are probably the best you can get.

If it is a 90s cassette machine, that too would be good. Back then the trend was professional use was reel to reel, audiophile use went for cassette, and the junk (dictation, etc.) went on the little portable mono cassette machines. So it actually depends on what type you have as to the quality you can expect.

Orb pictures though are indicative of a low quality camera where the lens and flash are positioned close together. Remember, a valid orb will do one of two things, either it will glow by its own light, not reflected flash, or it will reflect the flash, thus creating a shadow on the objects behind it. If neither of these conditions exist, you've captured dust, pollen, or a bug.
CaveRat......
Visit my website

#6 PhenomInvestigator

PhenomInvestigator

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

The prior post reminded me of my audio broadcast work from the 60s through the 80s. We used cassettes heavily beginning in the 70s (primarily monoraul in those days, later stereo) for voice recordings. And we did indeed use some very nice portable reel to reel (German manufacturer as I recall) for our broadcast stereo field recording. They were great systems. In fact, when we did some test recordings with a well-known EVP proponent in the 1980s, we had to turn off the noise suppression in order to even have a hope of capturing an EVP (at least according to that person). Memories...
Anomalous Phenomena is Unexplained not ImpossiblePsi is Subtle not AbsoluteAnything is possible, it's all a matter of Probability---------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users