Advice needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jaredm3624

Jaredm3624

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:54 PM

I hope this is in the correct section. I have always been interested in the paranormal, and I want to start doing some investigations of my own on the side. I have a hand held video camera (no night vision or thermal), a 7.0 megapixle digital camera, and I want to get a digital recorder. It is only me as of now. Will this work for me? Please let me know if you have any advice to give me. Thanks.

#2 autumnbelle

autumnbelle

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Am curious about almost anything . . .

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

Was tempted to move this to the equipment board, but have a feeling a few people would want to caution you about working by yourself or at least give you advice on how to team up with other people. Best wishes! And welcome to GhostVillage!

Eat, drink and be scary. ~Author Unknown

#3 Jaredm3624

Jaredm3624

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the heads up about working by myself. I wasn't planning to go by myself, justsaying that it was just me in my group as of now. I haven't found much people who would be interested in going with me in my area. I'm deep in a very religious area, and most people are close minded here. So it will be tough for me to get my plans in motion. I think the hardest part is going to find the places to investigate. Of course there are those "haunted" places that kids talk about, but nothing really worth investigating. I can get to Houston in about 1 1/2 hrs though.

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

As far as independent investigating, I have been doing that for 35 years. Simply a matter of using some common sense and knowing when to bring in help when needed. Some aspects of an investigation can be done alone, others are better done with help or a team effort.

As for a recorder, if you want to go the cheapest way get a cassette recorder, preferably stereo. Digital recorders will work, but plan on spending about $200 and up if you want one which meets minimum specs for EVP work. Of course if you just want to record witness interviews, etc, then any digital voice recorder will do for that. But not suited for EVP work.

#5 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:22 AM

Hi Jared,

I would advise that you keep very careful notes on each investigation. Things like temp, humidity & other environmental conditions, Times & places of personal experiences and recordings. Buy a note book and be meticulous about it. With the recordings, it's fairly easy, simply speak into the mic & give all the pertenent info. Just remember to properly label each piece of media so that it can be traced back to your notes on the day.

Also, be aware that as humans, we are prone to a lot of perceptual and thinking errors. It is very easy for us to fool ourselves by relying on common sense and our feelings. No one is immune to these things.

I reccommend doing some reading in the "logic & perception" section of the Septic's Dictionary website. While it is written from a skeptical point of view, there is a lot of value for anyone there. it will help you to avoid some common mistakes.

Here's the link: http://www.skepdic.com/tilogic.html

Good luck on your hunts!

Sincerely, Canis

Edited by Caniswalensis, 01 July 2009 - 07:23 AM.

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#6 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

The advice I was given was to use a cassette recorder, one with an external microphone - otherwise the recorder can and will pick up the machine working and that is what interferes with getting evps. I was told to get a lot of tapes and only record on one side - the sound can bleed onto the otherside also taining any possible evps you get. Someone could hear an actual evp and argue that it's only sounds from the other side of the tape bleeding through. I was also told that it's a good idea to take a couple pens and a notebook along - even if you only keep them in the car. That way you can record your thoughts as soon as you get back to the car, while things are still fresh in your memory. Putting thoughts down on paper helps you to remember them better than simply talking into a recorder. The recorder is good for describing what you see/feel as you are investigating. And if you are going someplace by yourself, make sure that at least one person knows where you are going and about when you will be heading home. Then make sure you call that person to let them know you're back safe and sound. Carry a cell phone, set to vibrate, in your pants pocket. If you fall down and sprain something, you can call for help. And if you can't call, your contact person will know you aren't back and can go look for you. Just a safety thing to keep in mind - cemetaries have lots of uneven ground, tree roots, etc. that you an trip on, not to mention old buildings with weak flooring. Oh - take Lots of batteries for your electronic stuff.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#7 Jaredm3624

Jaredm3624

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

thanks for all the advice. More is always welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users