• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 PinkGhost

PinkGhost

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:00 PM

Hi everyone Im Jessica i am new to this site. i believe very much in the paranormal. I would like to know some others opinions on why cemeteries and Mortuaries maybe haunted.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Trying not to step on the land mines that others have planted in front of me. No sense saying more, as this will be removed anyway.

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:17 PM

I can't see any real reason(s) why the two cited locations should be haunted anymore than other locations that are known to be haunted.

#3 Morraeon

Morraeon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

I know James Van Praagh argued that cemeteries/mortuaries are less likely to be haunted than houses or hotels or hospitals or prisons, which seem to be the top most likely to be haunted. His reason is that cemeteries aren't as frequented by the living, so there's less energy for ghosts to feed from. However, when you consider how much emotion people have in going to a cemetery and visiting the resting places of their loved ones and leaving mementos of some kind (flowers, etc), wouldn't it stand to reason that a cemetery or a mortuary is just as likely to attract ghosts?

#4 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

Of the areas considered haunted, I find less activity around cemeteries than other locations. In my opinion this is because there is really no draw there when one asks why would a ghost hang around there. Consider, if the spirit is residual the only reason would be if the person when living spent a lot of time in the cemetery. (unlikely in most cases).

If it is active then why would a spirit hang around where its intended contact person seldom visits, unless the bereaved spend an inordinate amount of time around the grave.

If demonic in origin, again why would it hang around a deserted graveyard when its intended target is elsewhere?

And if some form of interdimensional being then aggain why would it vist a deserted graveyard unless maybe some relationship with the person who died. (Maybe the deceased is that person in an alternate universe or something.... just an offbeat thought there.)

I find the best locations for haunts are:

1. battlefields or military locations
2. sites of mass killings or disaster
3. hospitals
4. prisons
5. homes with histories (deaths or torture)
6 cemeteries (in this order.)

#5 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Trying not to step on the land mines that others have planted in front of me. No sense saying more, as this will be removed anyway.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

You gotta trust me on this, they really aren't. Most are urban legends, I can go into that later, folk or customs, passed down several generals or from several thousand years. They simply just aren't. :)

#6 PJay

PJay

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, art, reading, collecting gargoyles.

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:00 AM

I don't think most cemeteries are haunted. If a grave has been desecrated, or not marked, or marked incorrectly, that might be reason for a spirit to be around their grave. Some people believe cemeteries have portals in them. I don't know if I believe that, but it may be that a site is chosen for a cemetery because something "feels right" about that place. A portal? Who knows.

#7 PHANTOM MONK

PHANTOM MONK

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:58 AM

One custom in England about cemeteries being haunted by the ghost of the last person buried there, watches over the cemetery until someone else dies and is buried there and the newly buried person's ghost takes on "watchman" duties :)

#8 Mercury

Mercury

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Well, I have many intrests. The Supernatural is obvious.<br /><br />Art, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do alot of art, and not to toot my own horn, I'm darn good at it. Its something I'm proud of.<br /><br />Antiques are another passion of mine. Be it furniture, or World War 1 era weapons and collectibles. Which leads to the last intrest I'll post.<br /><br />History. I Love history. Though I do take the most intrest in events after the American Revolution.

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

Cave Rat mentioned battlefields in there list so I had to chime in.

I live litterally 5 minutes from a Civil war battle field. Its known to the Yanks as Black River, but the Rebs down here call it (My spelling is going to be horrible on this) Averasboro. It is actually known as one of the most unspoiled battlefields in America.

All the homes that survived the battle in the actual battle field are still standing. Two of which are supposedly haunted, one of those was used for a field hospital and they are still to this day finding human bones just inches below the surface.

Relic Hunters around here have been searching for years for a mass grave that has been documented but never found.

The place is creepy, even if you didnt know the history of the area.

#9 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

Well I wouldn't necessarily say that all cemeterys and mortuaries are "haunted." I think half the time people suspect they are is because they definetely give off that eerie feeling. If you think about it, how dead people are or have been there? A lot! Which is why people usually let that go to their heads and take the smallest experience in one and over-exagerate it.
One bright day in the middle of the night,Two dead boys got up to fight,Back to back they faced each other,Drew their swords and shot each other,A deaf policeman heard the noise,And went to save those two dead boys,If you don’t believe it’s true,Ask the blind man he saw it too.

#10 brucekp

brucekp

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:44 AM

I've investigated quite a few cemeteries. Some seem more active than others. I usually get a few EVP's at most of them. Those that have lots of graves from people who died a violent or tragic death seem to be more active.
In a large cemetery there always seems to be at least a few spirits there.

Bruce

Edited by brucekp, 03 November 2009 - 03:45 AM.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,Than are dreamt of in your philosophy-ShakespeareLawmakers are studying the possibilty of banning any independent thought and freedom of choice. quoted by insiders: "We can't rely on our citizens to know what is best for them or their families, therefore we cannot permit people to freely make choices on their own. Any citizen suspected of independent thought shall be detained pending a deportation hearing."

#11 fatman

fatman

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:28 AM

Who knows why ghosts haunt where they do. People say "It's because of this." or "It's because of tha." No one knows why they do what they do. No one has gone to the other side and taken notes or performed interviews. We only have experiences here with a lot of guess-work added in.
If the lack of contacts at such places is your experience, fine. That's the case for those locations. It doen't mean that's the case everywhere and not definite proof that ghost don't hang there. I haven't hunted enough to say either way, but I've heard the stories and seen the pictures of haunts in those locals.
Why have I had several experiences in my house that's only 11 years old? I"m the original owner, there's no prior history to my house, no one has died in the house, but I've seen an apparition, have had several experiences and have been locked in my garage by unseen forces (withnessed by two reliable people; wife and son). I have no fricken idea and probably no one else does. It's just guess-work.
Why not cemeteries or morgues? Death is death. There's no telling why a ghost would do what it does.
Just enjoy the experiences, study the subject, and take comfort in the possibility that this life probably isn't the end....I'm hoping. You, too, could be the subject of a ghost hunting show someday.
Now, who wants cookies?

#12 Plegreesheexy

Plegreesheexy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Playing sports

Posted 10 December 2009 - 04:54 AM

have you ever taken a 5foot drop

what the hell are you going to do with a ramp like that?

#13 J.E. Seanachaí

J.E. Seanachaí

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy writing, gardening, and, of course, sharing ghost stories.

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

I believe that if you are a sensitive individual, you're going to encounter entities just about anywhere. As a matter of fact, I don't think there are too many places my family and I haven't seen/experienced an entity.

Back to your original question: My cousin has heard footsteps following her more than once while in a cemetery. Are cemeteries more haunted than other places? As I said before, if you're gifted, you're going to see entities just about anywhere.
J.E. SeanachaíAuthor of the ghostly book, Haunted Voices from My Past: True Narratives of an Ohio Family

#14 Aesalon

Aesalon

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:16 PM

I don't know that I actually buy this, but a friend of mine brought a completely different theory to my attention a few weeks ago on this subject.

A place is not haunted because it is a cemetery - a place is a cemetery because it is haunted. There may be 'something' about the location itself that draws people to it as a place to lay our dead...and maybe that same 'something' in some way fuels hauntings. (He said it much better than that, but I think y'all get the point.)

-Aes

-Stephen G.

Co-founder of Fly By Night Paranormal Investigations.

Based in Omaha, NE with a chapter in Dallas /Ft. Worth, TX. FBN is primarily a paranormal research team with a focus on classical 'haunting phenomena.' 

Please visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook...NightParanormal

#15 Corey

Corey

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:56 PM

I wouldn't think that these places would be haunted at all. If a ghost is the spirit of someone who once lived, why a cemetary or mortuary? Basically they are just the burying ground for our physical bodies. I'd think that once a body gets to these places the spirit would be long gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users