Why would cemeteries and Mortuaries be haunted

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

They may be briefly visited by spirits but not an actual haunt.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#17 RiverTownParanormalSociety

RiverTownParanormalSociety

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

There are many reason why a graveyard may be haunted. The grief that one has at the loss of a loved one can turn many ways.
These stories are all from the turn of the century. 1890-1910.
A story in one of our local cemeteries is that a young woman was found dead on her young child new grave.
Another is a prominent citizen took his own life at his wifes grave. The shot was heard by all that were in the cemetery. He was found draped over the large monument bearing her name.
Constant spring showers caused a massive mud slide in the cemetery and 35 coffins slid down the hillside. Over a hundred graves were moved later in the summer.

#18 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:26 PM

In the rare instance that a spirit may have died there I suppose it's possible. As a general rule that spirits are running rampant through the cemetery are another matter. That's why I feel that if there are spirits there, then they are visiting as the living will do.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#19 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:07 AM

Well, if I was an older haunt, just hanging around minding my own business, and it got to a point where my house was torn down or changed beyond recognition and my neighborhood or workplace disappeared, this might be the only place where some of me still abided.

Leslie thinks that we do have some ignorant spooks and they don't know that they can move about, so a haunt in a cemetery is just the last place that ppl left them. I'm not sure why the other spooks there don't fill them in, so maybe its an inside joke.

Greg

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#20 tommyhancock

tommyhancock

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:01 AM

didnt read all the posts so sorry if someone already said this.while im not in favor of saying most cemetaries are or arent haunted because frankly i havent been to much.sense that statement is true to most its just opinion without experience.which is fine,but no one can really say one way or another if it is or isnt haunted,its just thoughts.

as for why they are believevd to be haunted,well,for one name a place with more dead bodies buried beneath it.that certainly comes into play.but i think its also a comfort thing.people like to believe their loved ones are there.and not just their bodies.they like to believe there is a place to go where they can be with and talk to the loved ones they have lost.i dont knoe if this is true,but without proof i refuse to walk on this belief personally.it doesnt hurt anyone if people think this for this reason.

#21 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

Why would the presence of dead bodies cause a haunting? And where is the proof they are "bound to the earth"? For that matter, what evidence can you or anyone provide that anyone is staying behind? While certainly there are unexplained events from time to time, no one who applies some reasoning can categorically explain the exact nature of these events. Traditionally some may call them ghosts or spirits, but there may also be other explainations for them.

True, common sense is one of the best tools we can apply here. So apply a little bit and rationalize the situation. Before claiming a cemetery is full of ghosts, first we must determine what exactly is a ghost so we recognize one if it should appear.That is where the science comes in.

#22 Dodi

Dodi

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Lighthouses, Suprnatural, Photography, Cemeteries, Abandon Buildings (especially Hospitals, or Insane Asylums), learning new things...

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:30 AM

I think they could be just as haunted as any other place, and for the same reasons. They are places of high emotions, Some spirits are attached to their human body and don't want to or maybe how to leave it. Some I guess could be there mourning the loss of a child and don't realize they can move forward. I am a Cemetery Junkie. I love to photograph them, look into the history and who is buried there, I want to know what their lives were like, what they were like. You can gain alot of knowledge in them, such as epidemics, mass murders, Mass suisides ect... I don't think all cemeteries are haunted, but then again, I don't believe all houses are either...
Life, you gotta love it, the humor of it all! After all, isn't that what life is, one big joke???Dodie

#23 Jeff S

Jeff S

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

I believe that cemeteries and graveyards are just as likely to be haunted as anyplace else. My reasoning behind this is fairly simple. It goes along with the idea that a spirit sometimes is attatched to a physical object that it coveted when it was living. Youve seen seen this theory on shows like ghost hunters and things like that. My idea is generally the same. When you pass your lifeless body is now what?? A solid object. Why wouldn't your spirit become attatched to something that it spent the last 40, 50, or 60 years in? Anyways, just a thought.

#24 Frenzyfest

Frenzyfest

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, History, Exercising, Films, Discussion.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

I have never personally experienced anything unusual in a cemetery (except being scolded by an Italian man inside the Père Lachaise cemetery, but he was 110% alive). I often visit them and try to learn about a person's life based on what's left on their gravestone.

In fact, I only know of one person who has ever had a paranormal experience in a cemetery. My best friend's fiancée saw a girl in the cemetery he had to cross through on his way home from school. He asked his mother, "Why is that little girl all by herself?". She couldn't see the girl, so she asked him to show her where the girl was. He ran over toward where the girl had been and said, "She's gone!". The gravestone he was near was that of a little girl.

I think, in my personal opinion, that if a spirit is haunting the place they or a loved one was laid to rest it's likely a confusion. Perhaps there's no real disconnection from their physical body. Or, in the case of being near the grave of a loved one, they are seeking to be reunited.

Or they might be like me and simply enjoy looking at the graves and trying to figure out what the person's life might have been like. You can truly learn a lot about a person's life from their gravestone.
~*~ I believe in angels. They've literally saved my life. I call them friends ~*~

#25 BLACK SHUCK

BLACK SHUCK

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Anything related to the paranormal,secret societies,fast cars, busty women, human behavior, reading, painting, art, magic/magick(high or low),withchcraft/wicca,candles and hot tubs. Just ask, if you are curious and want the truth, not what you want to hear.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:23 PM

I've come across more "ghosts"on battlefields than in graveyards, with the exception of Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

#26 MGH

MGH

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:36 PM

Hi everyone Im Jessica i am new to this site. i believe very much in the paranormal. I would like to know some others opinions on why cemeteries and Mortuaries maybe haunted.

I don't know that they are. I think in cases where the caskets are dug up and relocated so that homes can be built there, or homes built right on top of graveyards (like "Poltergeist"), there can be the risk of hauntings taking place. Or any piece of land where many people were killed (such as the twin towers in NYC), but in that example, it is probably best that no structure be built. But that's JMHO

#27 Shadowperson

Shadowperson

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Just about everything.

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:49 AM

Well, I believe most older graveyard (1700's-1800's) are haunted based on the fact that that's when America was new, people were hoping along the Oregon trail and heading west, a lot of people died during this time due to illness and the untamed west. There was a mass burial site outside of my home town for mormons on the oregon trail that later truned into a Lutheran one. It's haunted beyond a shadow of a doubt to me cause that's where people would get caught in the winter, a lot of them died and buried there, and there was so much raw emotional energy that those that died there, stayed there.
Posted Image

#28 BLACK SHUCK

BLACK SHUCK

Junior Villager

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Anything related to the paranormal,secret societies,fast cars, busty women, human behavior, reading, painting, art, magic/magick(high or low),withchcraft/wicca,candles and hot tubs. Just ask, if you are curious and want the truth, not what you want to hear.

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

Just seems sorta "natural", no pun intended, that the resting places of the departed, MIGHT, be the place where you might find the most "ghostly " activity.I have not found it to be the case in the 10 yrs., I've been doing my own "investigations".

#29 Abominable Dr. Civis!

Abominable Dr. Civis!

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy kayaking, hiking, geocaching, foreign films, suspense, cheaply-made action or slasher films, folklore, working out, keeping a myriad of friends and acquaintances, green tea, Pixies (the band), spontaneity and adventure! Oh, and ghost-hunting too of course, though I find its more like fishing.

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

I have found many cemeteries to be haunted. Why? Well that would just be speculation for me to say but I will do it anyway. First off, a person may be attached to their body as it was, and may still be, there connection to the material realm. Second, it is a gathering place for families and loved ones upon passing. I have found family cemeteries to be the most haunted. That and cemeteries from small old communities. These are in fact places where there is the ritualized placing of people's remains to be laid to rest with the others they have known and cared about through life and their ancestors. Mix strong grief, with ritual, with community and you may create a good situation for a haunting or at least a place where spirits can commune with each other and where they all have some attachment (their bodies lying in the ground). My third and final point for this post would be that the sites of cemeteries are often chosen for a reason. Sometimes the cemetery lies somewhere because it is where many people died and had to be quickly buried. Sometimes the cemetery lies on the grounds of a prison or mental hospital (CT Valley Hosp. cemetery is haunted and the interned are marked with numbers, not names, so they are kept invisible and imprisoned even in death. Considering how unbalanced and miserable many of them were in life, especially to be there, it is no wonder it is haunted). More often I think cemetery locations are chosen for the spiritual significance of it. Many colonial cemeteries are placed near Indian burial grounds which were placed near where even earlier people buried their dead. Cemeteries are often places of power as well as peace and we know that many places are inexplicably haunted more than others. There are just some places that attract spirits and often times these places of power are chosen to be the sites of cemeteries. Of course some are chosen simply because they look nice and have a great view but hey, I never said ALL cemeteries are haunted, I doubt they are, but I know for a fact many are and make very good places to find ghosts.
"The big brain am winning! I am the greetest! Mwa-ha-ha-ha! I must now leave Earth for no raisin! " -Chief Big Brain of Futurama

#30 petunia4998

petunia4998

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:54 PM

Well said. I think you are quite correct. :Wall:
petunia4998

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users