TV shows and movies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:58 AM

It seems to me that shows and movies are either completely paranormal, or they are seriously unparanormal and treat references to ghosts, the paranormal, and esoteric stuff as ridiculous or wacko. There is little treatment of that stuff as a normal part of life.

I think this echoes the way our anglo culture treats such topics. There are some of us that see it as a normal part of life, and those who don't want to even discuss it because they haven't experienced anything paranormal or don't want to admit that they have.

Carlotta
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#2 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

I've notice the same thing. You could be right about the cause. Thanks for sharing.
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#3 Haunting Research

Haunting Research

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations of course! I am also a scuba diver and love to go fishing and four wheeling!

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:26 AM

Since tv and movies are all about making money by getting people to tune in they are all strictly for entertainment. I haven't seen anything out there that is "real life" and that is mostly because that woud be too darned boring really. All of the shows on tv right now are all scripted and have the shots set up, heck have you ever noticed that none of them are ever out of the shot and that they are always perfectly in every shot. Heck, as far as I am concerned, all of the tv shows and movies are just for fun so if you watch them with keeping that in mind, it probably won't bug you too much. Since I learned not to take any of them seriously, it has helped me a ton when watching.
Posted Image

#4 carlotta

carlotta

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Tarot, gardening, hiking, Victorian literature, cats, European travel

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

I think the same could be said about books too. Stories are either 'straight', i.e. with no paranormal activity, or there is perhaps a gypsy that is portrayed as a silly eccentric that no one takes seriously, or paranormal.

At a mixed dinner party if you want to talk paranormal, you can get branded as an 'out there' person not to be taken seriously in the general group. After the dinner party any one of those who acted like you are crazy may then approach you with their experiences.

The paranormal is sort of mainstream, but it's kept still in a sub-category. Science is help up as truth, whereas it's only full of partially proven hypotheses that have lots of exceptions. The existence of gravity is not an absolute truth everywhere on earth.
Who owns the land? Only the land knows. We mortals are passersby, and our lives are but a brief moment in the great span of time and space. We are born, we live out our lives, and most of us do the best we can with it, but the wind is forever, and the rivers flow forever to the sea, and all the seasons of the weathers will come and go after we are gone. But the Earth endures, the Earth is eternal" - Earl Hamner

#5 beulahkilborn781

beulahkilborn781

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:34 AM

I really don't think these guys need to involve themselves with Ghost Hunters anymore if they want to keep a good name for themselves,granted it may be forced upon by syfy and syfy did make GH do a lot of what they did but there is a darker story to that and hopefully DT doesn't fall into the boat.You want proof? go to youtube.com and in your search type in "ghost hunters scam" it will pull up all videos that they scammed you on,Donna's confession about them and why they aren't a"family' anymore and even better you'll see the scam they pulled with one of there so-called conventions this one actually hit the news.I was once a fan of TAPS but now they are giving investigators a bad name which took them years to prove otherwise and now these clowns are destroying what true investigators worked hard for on national television.TAPS I hope you get whats coming to you,your academy show is hillarious only because it's so hypocritical and I don't see where you are in any position to teach anyone anything.

#6 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

I know what your saying. But if you aren't an expert on the topic, how are you going to know how to make it as real as can be? I'm sure the producers and authors of those sorts of things aren't concerned about the average ghost-hunters opinion on the reality of it, they just want to make some money. The viewer or reader of this movie or book probably wont care much either, I mean, it's fiction- isn't that the point?
One bright day in the middle of the night,Two dead boys got up to fight,Back to back they faced each other,Drew their swords and shot each other,A deaf policeman heard the noise,And went to save those two dead boys,If you donít believe itís true,Ask the blind man he saw it too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users