6 replies to this topic

#1 pyropheonix

pyropheonix

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:ghost hunting racing asnd all out fun

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:27 PM

me and my group have been out for awhile and are getting back into the paranormal world and found out that some if not all of our equipment is a bit outdated and obsolete and was wanting a little info on some of the new that we can use and if you can get it with out special ordering it or modifying it so far i now my spectrometer is about 4 years out of date i went and up graded my old analog evp to a new digital one and that thing work a hole lot better now well one i figured out how to work it right lol we have up dated most of our basic equieptment for the most part but there is still alot we will have to upgrade b4 our come back sweap of the us starts in aug will set up one of them myspace pages to get started we shall let everone now where and when we will be in what state and town maby catch some of the local group out and about and do some work with them if at all possible see how gen xy does things from gen xq lol

#2 truthorconspiracy

truthorconspiracy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:37 AM

Wow, all of that in one breath. Anyway, what do you mean by "outdated and obsolete"? So far, there have been no "tools" that have proven to detect any type of ghost/spirit/etc. in the field of paranormal investigation at all despite what you see on television and the web.

In my prime we used EMF detection devices that had to be wheeled in on four-wheeled carts. We used them to look for environmental explanations of what the person was experiencing, not for "ghost detection" (which has never been verified by anyone). these devices were so sensitive that a flick of a lighter would cause a spike through a wall. Now these new small toys are less sensitive than ever and give you a limited idea of how much power you are detecting (the famed K2).

Speaking on ghost detection; any spike related to a ghost is using an EMF detector is generally made in the wake of the presence, in other words, by the time your meter goes off the ghost is long gone. I'm not sure when EMF detectors went from a device used to find logical explanations to a ghost detector, but at least they are more affordable and easier to carry (but do they really work for the application?). Find some older Parapsychology journals on this and you will see that this tools is being used all wrong and the work has already been done to prove it back in the 1960s and 70s.

Cameras and other audio tools have become much better over time, but I still think people are missing out with not using magnetic tape recordings (cassettes) for EVP and video. Groups seem to say they have better luck now, but I think a lot of what they are getting is not what they think.

I don't think there is anything out there that is completely obsolete, especially if you are able to utilize it to help a client. I don't know why groups feel they need the "latest and greatest" to be a good group. It's not the equipment you use, but your method of conducting an investigation. I've seen plenty that are good at running around in the dark, but they have no idea what they are experiencing or why and surely have no idea of what happened when and by who since they failed to document anything on paper during their so-called investigation.

D.H.

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 20 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

I would agree, there is more junk being used than ever out there.

I for one don't use an EMF meter at all. Whaile you can get good meters that will tell you the strength of a field, there is an inherent flaw in that concept. EM Fields adhere to the inverse square law of physics, that is they weaken as you move farther from the source. And since the source is not always well defined simply assigning a number, milliguass to them, is very subjective. Do we have a weak field nearby or a strong field some distance away? Just knowing a number doesn't resolve that question.

Instead I use two EMF monitors. The dynamic one allows you to hear the field rather than just reading its intensity. Thus it becomes apparent in many cases what is generating the field. 60 cycle hum is usually a power line or inductive load, buzzing is often a florescent light, whistles come from electronic power supplies, and of course voices often are strong radio sources. You learn what each sounds like and identify the source based on what you hear. The static monitor simply measures the steady state background fields. Any deviation from sources such as solar activity, strong radio transmissions, or other changing anomalies activates an alarm. You can then investigate the reason.

Analog tape is still the most economical means of getting quality EVP recordings. But if you choose to go with digital be prepared to spend $200 and up for a recorder. The H2 is the cheapest that meets specs, but barely. And then only when used with external mics and in its highest quality WAV setting. A better digital recorder will set you back about $700 or more. Cheaper than these they are junk for EVP work. And always do EVP recordings in stereo, no mono digital voice recorders.

#4 Haunting Research

Haunting Research

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations of course! I am also a scuba diver and love to go fishing and four wheeling!

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:34 AM

Outdated equipment? Analog is the best to use always. Analog can be scrutinized where digital cannot. Let's look at an example;

When a 35mm camera takes a picture it is a true capture of what is in front of the camera imprinted on film. It is an actual capture of what the lens "sees." Now with a digital camera the lens sees what is in front of it, then a software program takes over and manipulates the photo to try and get it perfect and then gives you it's interpretation of what the lens saw. A digital photograph is no more credible in my opinion than if someone took pen and paper to draw me a picture of what they saw.

The same goes for audio tape. It can be scrutinized and digital cannot.

In my opinion, you already have the best equipment that money can buy. Also, let's look at what you really need to investigate the paranormal. Sure, there are all kinds of little nifty gadgets out there but do they collect evidence? NO, they don't. There are meters after meeters and toys and lights and all kinds of funny stuff. I knew (and I use the term very loosly) an investigator that arrived with a whole van loaded down front to back with totes of equipment. He even took the seats out! They had black lights and every meter known to man. Was he able to collect evidence at all from the investigation? NO. He took hours and hours to set up and even though he was in an extremely haunted location, he was unable to collect anything. Also, he didn't know how to use half of the stuff he had. For example; he placed motion detectors around the building's rooms. These motion detectors all had bright lights on them but he had no way to know if any of them went off during the investigation. The only way to know was to be watching them which is bogus anyway since our presence in the room would set them off. So, basically he had hundreds of dollars worth of worthless motion detectors at his disposal.

What do you actually need to collect evidence? A 35mm camera, a tape recorder with a remote microphone and video camera and tape. If you can come up with those you will be using the best equipment that you can possibly use. Oh yeah, don't forget your common sense too.
Posted Image

#5 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

I will have to agree regarding analog. We live in an analog world. All sounds are anaog in nature as is light which illuminates everything. Even IR, for those that go there, is analog, only at a wavelength the eye can't see. So why do we insist on changing it to digital? Digital is only a numeric value assigned to a given analog level. It must be converted back to analog befor we can hear or see it. So why not leave it in its original format?

It is true we can approach a reliable level of confidence wit quality digital equipment but you won't do that using a $50 voice recorder or digital camera. You will need professional grade equipment costing $$$ hundreds to do it right. Which is why analog is still your most cost effective method to use.

#6 Kelli Chases Ghosts

Kelli Chases Ghosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:29 AM

I would agree, there is more junk being used than ever out there.

I for one don't use an EMF meter at all. Whaile you can get good meters that will tell you the strength of a field, there is an inherent flaw in that concept. EM Fields adhere to the inverse square law of physics, that is they weaken as you move farther from the source. And since the source is not always well defined simply assigning a number, milliguass to them, is very subjective. Do we have a weak field nearby or a strong field some distance away? Just knowing a number doesn't resolve that question.

Instead I use two EMF monitors. The dynamic one allows you to hear the field rather than just reading its intensity. Thus it becomes apparent in many cases what is generating the field. 60 cycle hum is usually a power line or inductive load, buzzing is often a florescent light, whistles come from electronic power supplies, and of course voices often are strong radio sources. You learn what each sounds like and identify the source based on what you hear. The static monitor simply measures the steady state background fields. Any deviation from sources such as solar activity, strong radio transmissions, or other changing anomalies activates an alarm. You can then investigate the reason.

Analog tape is still the most economical means of getting quality EVP recordings. But if you choose to go with digital be prepared to spend $200 and up for a recorder. The H2 is the cheapest that meets specs, but barely. And then only when used with external mics and in its highest quality WAV setting. A better digital recorder will set you back about $700 or more. Cheaper than these they are junk for EVP work. And always do EVP recordings in stereo, no mono digital voice recorders.

OMG! Another geek like me. I love you. I have never met another investigator who does things pretty much the same way I do. I get strange looks all the time if I'm out with another group. I just laugh, because while they're all oohing and aaahing over a blip on their K2, I know that the blip was just a data pulse from the fire alarm system. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I've been working on and off for actually over two years on a new type of EVP detection device. I won't reveal details here but it's pretty cool. I've moved three times in two years but now I'm in a 3,000 square foot 112 year old Victorian that we bought this past spring and won't be moving again any time soon. Not moving = having a home office set up permanently and having the time to continue working on things.

~K

~K
Speak to me in Gaelic and I will love you. Tell me you know what Inverse Square Law is and I will love you forever.~K

#7 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

Maybe one of these days those of us who actually understand some of the physics behind how things work will get our message out. Meanwhile I guess we'll have two camps in this field, those who research and ghost chasers.

I'll be interested in hearing more about your EVP project. I am also working on a system which utilizes the Barkhausen Effect in an effort to investigate alternative methods for EVPs. I hope to have a working system by spring when we are planning a private investigation at Waverley Hills. Right now it's in its trial phases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users