5 replies to this topic

#1 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

On Saturday Evening, my father relayed to me a legend from the hills of Kentucky where both he and my mother were born and raised. It is one I had never heard in my 45 years of listening to both sides of my family tell the folklore of the area. I was wondering if anyone else out there has heard of anything similar to this.

The story goes that when a baby or young child in the family died, if the feather pillow that the infant slept on was opened, inside you would find the feathers swirled to form a small crown....I assume to emulate Christ's crown of thorns. Into this crown of feathers would be woven in a golden thread in the shape of a "C"...and if you pulled the thread out and let it go, it supposedly would snap back into the same shape.

My father also said that this story was not mere legend, but was fact, for he had witnessed the phenomenon himself when one of his aunt's babies died.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Caniswalensis

Caniswalensis

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:57 AM

That is a very interesting story. i have lived in kentucky for quite a while now, but never heard that one. I will have to ask my in-laws next time we go for a visit.

I have a very hard time believing it is true, though. I do wonder what the effect on modern foam pillows would be if it were true? :)

regards, Canis

"It is proper for you to doubt ... do not go upon report ... do not go upon tradition ... do not go upon hear-say." ~ Buddha

#3 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

Very interesting, I've personally never heard this before but it reminds me abit of another thread started here a long time ago Click Here to Read
Either write things worth reading,
Or do things worth the writing.

Posted Image

#4 ravenhecate

ravenhecate

Senior Villager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Art, Paganism, Animals

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:05 AM

Very interesting, I've personally never heard this before but it reminds me abit of another thread started here a long time ago Click Here to Read

Actually, Willow, the links that Justa had supplied in those threads are just exactly what I was talking about, but apparently the phenomenon was not applied merely to children, but adults as well. It was kind of cool to see what my father had been talking about. It apparently was not just an Kentucky thing or an Appalacian thing either, but was further spread.

Thanks for sharing the link to the previous thread.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Cryscat

Cryscat

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:spirituality, art, design, reading, photography, my family (of course), nature, biology, genetics... I could go on, but I think I will stop here.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:24 PM

Never heard of either version. Thanks for posting.
Don't take life too seriously, no one ever gets out alive.

#6 apachedove

apachedove

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:14 AM

I can remember my grandmother telling me that if a bird lands on the window sill and becks at the window for 3 days in a row, it means someone is going to die.

This belief came from the mountains in Pennsylvania.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users