Free Skins
© Fisana

Photo

Do Ghosts Always Show Themselves Voluntarily?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Spookydog

Spookydog

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:24 PM

Here's an interesting discussion topic: when ghosts/spirits/etc. appear in some form or another, is it always voluntarily?

Whenever I think about this, one example always comes to mind. There was an episode of Ghost Hunters or GHI where the crew was investigating the ruins of an old, cursed mansion in Ireland. Apparently, some old lady a long time ago cursed the mansion because it was being built on a layline and/or faerie settlement. Anywho, the place was supposed heavily inhabited by faeries/elementals. Well, Jason and Grant caught (via heat-sensing camera) a group of three small entities following another pair of investigators. I remember asking myself "Why are they appearing when they are clearly stalking the pair of investigators?". The only two conclusions I could find were: A- They knew that Jason and Grant were watching them, or B- They couldn't help but give off energy.

If option A is correct, then so ends the conversation. If B is correct, then more questions appear. Do entities always give off energy? If so, couldn't you fill a haunted location with all sorts of sensors and potentially monitor a ghost's behavior for multiple days, weeks, months, or years? If not, and ghosts only have to give off bursts or short periods of energy, how do they exist when they aren't giving off energy? Are they still a detectable energy that we have yet to discover (i.e. psychic energy)? Of course, you could pull many more questions off of these questions, but I want to keep this on-topic.

So, what do you think?

Edited by Spookydog, 04 August 2009 - 05:25 PM.

#2 Haunting Research

Haunting Research

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations of course! I am also a scuba diver and love to go fishing and four wheeling!

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:19 AM

In my years I have found that there is nothing that happens by accident. When a ghost appears to us in any form, it is intentional. They have to use energy to manifest in any form except in orb form where they are relaxed energy. In order for them to manifest from orb form to any type of shadow, partial apparition or full-bodied apparition it takes the expenditure of energy. They don't use this energy by accident and thus in my opinion it is intentional.
Posted Image

#3 duncan36

duncan36

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

In my years I have found that there is nothing that happens by accident. When a ghost appears to us in any form, it is intentional. They have to use energy to manifest in any form except in orb form where they are relaxed energy. In order for them to manifest from orb form to any type of shadow, partial apparition or full-bodied apparition it takes the expenditure of energy. They don't use this energy by accident and thus in my opinion it is intentional.

You're talking about the ghosts who know they're ghosts or ghosts under the control of others and who are being used. When you're talking about lost souls who are confused about being dead or trapped for some unfortunate reason if a person can see them, they will always appear human. This is because the lost soul often cant conceive of being anything other than a physical human, and is in fact trapped because of that very attachment.

A lot of these ghosts are quite friendly in fact probably where the idea of the show 'Casper the Friendly ghost' came from.

#4 Haunting Research

Haunting Research

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations of course! I am also a scuba diver and love to go fishing and four wheeling!

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

You're talking about the ghosts who know they're ghosts or ghosts under the control of others and who are being used. When you're talking about lost souls who are confused about being dead or trapped for some unfortunate reason if a person can see them, they will always appear human. This is because the lost soul often cant conceive of being anything other than a physical human, and is in fact trapped because of that very attachment.

A lot of these ghosts are quite friendly in fact probably where the idea of the show 'Casper the Friendly ghost' came from.

Well, a ghost is a ghost is a ghost. Since we can only speculate on being trapped or lost souls, all I can go by is my 13 years of experience and what the evidence has "proven" to me over those hundreds of investigations. If I do find evidence of anything different I will be more than happy to take a step back and reevaluate.
Posted Image

#5 duncan36

duncan36

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:21 PM

Well, a ghost is a ghost is a ghost. Since we can only speculate on being trapped or lost souls, all I can go by is my 13 years of experience and what the evidence has "proven" to me over those hundreds of investigations. If I do find evidence of anything different I will be more than happy to take a step back and reevaluate.

Like a person is a person? Since spirits are deceased humans the question isnt how could the motivation of the supernatural be diverse the question is how could the motivation and character of the supernatural not be diverse.

#6 simman

simman

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:My family, friends, computers, electronics and of course anything paranormal, especially spirits of any kind.

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

Most ghosts used to be people and as in the living world as living people do, ghost will show themselves if they want to be seen intentionally. There are alot of theories out there and that is just what they are theories. So take things from your point of view on it and listen to what others have to say and then compare and then see what theory works for you.
simman

#7 Spookydog

Spookydog

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:57 PM

I really have no stance on this topic. I just wanted to hear what some of you thought about it.

#8 tooladdict195

tooladdict195

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

there's ghosts, whether they show themselves intentionally or not is personal opinion, but then there are also things that happen (sounds and apparitions) that happen because they've seemed to be imprinted on the place due to great emotions being felt in the place at a particular time.

so its like a record being played over and over again.

there's a proper name for, it but i forget it.

#9 Spookydog

Spookydog

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:40 PM

there's a proper name for, it but i forget it.

Residual haunting?

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not referring to intelligent vs. mindless. I'm referring to whether or not intelligent hauntings always show themselves voluntarily. Like, instead of the ghost revealing itself on purpose, maybe it just has a "sneeze" or "fart", an uncontrollable release of energy. Or maybe it has to release a given amount of energy every so often to maintain healthy energy levels, kinda like "going to the bathroom" or breathing.

I realize that there is no generally accepted theory or proof that supports one idea over another, which is why I wanted a discussion.

Edited by Spookydog, 09 August 2009 - 01:43 PM.

#10 Haunted_Ship

Haunted_Ship

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in music, art, history, psychology, ghosts (obviously), ufo research and native american history

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

There are cases of residual haunting, which involves a 'ghost' but I believe someone mentioned that already. As for intelligent entities, like an earthbound spirit, I'd say probably not. At least not from what I can think, logically. Lights flicker, the air buzzes when a ghost is materializes. Sometimes I believe that ghosts can give off heat and energy without intention, but never actually materialize.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert FrostYou gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt"I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded, is another step forward." [b] Thomas Edison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users