Click Here To Visit Our Sponsor

Photo

How young is too young to start ghost hunting?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 meishi

meishi

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

I have had a number of paranormal experiences since I was very young, I am constantly researching the subject and have gone a quite few ghost tours, cemetery crawls, and what not. We lived in a haunted house for a few years, everyone in the home had personal experiences.

Now my 12 year old daughter is becoming more intrigued with the paranormal and she want to join me on my outings. Do you think that 12 is to young. She is very level headed and like I said before she has had personal experiences herself.

Edited by autumnbelle, 17 August 2009 - 02:50 PM.

#2 Mark London

Mark London

So open minded that his brain has fallen out....watch your step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:If they need me I help them

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

Hi Meishi

From personal point of view, I think 12 is just a bit too young, but as you are the parent its enitirely up to you.

However, in this country if you organise a ghost investigation at a public place or whatever they charge for insurance. In not sure if its the same in the states. but they generally ask for a list of people attending etc. So they may not allow it, or the investigation team itself, thats if you are heading in that direction.

Being a parent myself I dont think id let my kids go.

Mark :)

#3 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

I would say it depends on the maturity of the child. I would also want to be sure they are well monitored and proper guidance given. As a parent you have to make that call.

There is also going to be limitations regarding locations. A group investigation of a cemetery probably is no real problem. But to take a minor along on a private case would be out of the question. Liability issues come in to play here. And as Mark mentioned the same may apply to some public locations depending on what insurance they carry or you have in place.

For me personally the insurance issue requires no one under 18 could go along on any investigation I sponsor. If someone else is sponsoring it will be their call.

#4 jenjen

jenjen

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

CaveRat brings up a lot of excellent points. Plus in my opinion a person so young will be frightened easily and it might turn them off to this sort of activity the rest of their life.

#5 meishi

meishi

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:43 PM

Thanks guys for the replies.
I really don't think I'd take her on a real "investigation" until she was much older. But there is what we call a cemetery crawl that is coming up here in late September in Centeral City (an old mining town dating back to the 1880's), that is guided by local historians. They do allow children 9 year old and over so it must not be to frightening. That should be a good place to start, if she don't like it at least it wouldn't of been to overly scary (hopefully).

#6 ladycricket

ladycricket

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:ghost, ufos, cats, cooking, fishing, music,

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

My youngest grand daughter (9) wants to go with us on our haunts. But there is no way shes going. For one she is a young , pure, child. Her knowing abilities have not progress well enough to encounter a spirit or any such thing yet. I dont believe any child under the age of 16 should be involved in any such activities until they have passed the puberty stage. Young childrens life force is so strong they attract spirits and so forth. To me it's just to dangerous for the child.
Whoever said nothing is impossible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door!!

#7 DiemeBlack

DiemeBlack

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

who knows her best?
you? your wife? anyone else?
ask them
weve never even seen your daughter :hug2:

but if your already asking yoyurself the question,"should i take her with me" then maybe its time?

#8 aprilmoonflower

aprilmoonflower

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

my 5yo is very into learning about ghosts with me. obviously I am not taking him to do investigations. I am ok with it (it being him interested in the paranormal) as long as he is. I think children are more sensitive to energies around them than aduts. I think one must proceed with caution though and probably best determined by the child's personatlity and maturity.

#9 twilightangel1

twilightangel1

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Well for obvious reasons, one of my biggest interests are the paranormal. Iv lived with it through most of my life and I have always been facinated by it. Knowing from a very young age that it wasnt something to fear, but to accept. Im also A HUGE history buff(american history) I live in New England, one of the most haunted areas in the nation and I love learning about local legends as well as legends all over new england and New York.

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

My oldest daughter who is 10 is very interested in the paranormal herself. Iv been honest and straight forward with her about my expirences as I was growing up..which has only increased her interest even more. I allow her to read some of my books on ghost hauntings. But I dont beleive that she would be mature enough to handle what may occur on an investigation. You dont know what to expect on an investigaton, and as where an adult can rationalize and understand, a child may not and freak. Furthermore to no fault of the child, it can ruin an investigation. I think 10 is way to young I think 12 or 13 might be too young. I think it really depends on the individual and what they can deal with or handle and even understand. But I dont think someone under the age of 15 is just too young. But i guess there are exceptions to every rule ;)
Posted Image"You can sleep sweetheart, ill carry you." -twilight

#10 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

I've taken my 7 year old with me on some "ghost hunts"...basically just taking him with me to a few local places during the day and explaining what I do to him. I don't worry about all the fanciful things like spirit attachment and anything else that's never been proven. He enjoys doing it with me, and we get to spend some time together.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#11 BringOnTheGhosts

BringOnTheGhosts

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

Well I'm speaking from your daughters point of view. Im 13 years old and I plan on finding a way to ghost hunt very soon. In my opinion, as a kid, seems like it would be a great opportunity for her and to be honest im quite jealous. Of course I wouldn't be able to speak from an adult nor parents point of view.
One bright day in the middle of the night,Two dead boys got up to fight,Back to back they faced each other,Drew their swords and shot each other,A deaf policeman heard the noise,And went to save those two dead boys,If you don’t believe it’s true,Ask the blind man he saw it too.

#12 tommyhancock

tommyhancock

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:27 AM

meishi: i think its totally your call. if a place has its own set rules and its just not allowed, clearly its out of the question. if a place has an insurance kind of deal and you have to pay extra due to her age, if you think its worth it and she can handle it, feel free your call. personally i think taking her to a public freaky place like that on a tour is a genius idea, if she gets too scared you get out of there. but if she takes it well you have a more concrete idea to build on for what shes ready for.

bring on the ghost: read what i put in your junior investigator post,about your friends places, consider it

#13 EarthMommy

EarthMommy

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Writer, mother, homesteader, home schooler, knitter, crocheter, sew, etc, etc, etc

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

My opinion, if you are asking us if she is too old, then you probably think so. A cemetery crawl, where she is older than the minimum, should be ok, but I would nix anything more than that till she is older. Personally, I don't think my 16 year old is mature enough, she has internal dialogues with her outside voice lol, but kids are all different and ready at different times in their lives.
MellieYes, I still drink blueberry margaritas

#14 PJay

PJay

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:The paranormal, art, reading, collecting gargoyles.

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

I let one of my investigators bring two nineteen year old girls to an investigation because he said his niece was "mature for her age" and they had been to cemeteries, was interested in the paranormal, and was level headed. Well, he had to leave early because they decided fireflys were weirwolf eyes. So, from now on, no guests, and no one under 21. Also, kids get tired of sitting quietly for an hour. If you have an urge to take a kid on an investigation, set something up just for them, geared towards their age.

#15 Crone

Crone

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Paranormal investigations, reading, crafts, Genealogy, Renaissance Faires,

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

When the group I used to belong to did an investigation a few years ago that included a "junior" group, made up of member's children. These kids were about 10-12 in age, and already had an interest in the paranormal. They were given the opportunity to their own investigation after being instructed in the use of the equipment, and a good review of how to be respectful of not only the spirits, but of the property we were on. They were accompanied by adults at all times.

They had a great time, and learned a lot. A couple of them continue to be involved with investigations to this day. I wouldn't recommend it for small children, though. Their attention span is too short, and they might scare easily.
Still crazy after all these years. ....Paul Simon.... “What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.” ....Pericles......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users