60 replies to this topic

#31 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • Interests:Art

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:49 AM

I just saw the Halloween 2 remake. It was a good movie but I think I like the original one better. This one just didn't have the creepy feeling that the original has.
Check out my artwork at:http://www.jimdemick.com/
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

"There are some things money can't buy...A good imagination is one of them

#32 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:06 AM

I usually don't care for remakes, but once in awhile there is someone who does it right. Peter Jackson and King Kong come to mind. I think that one holds up to the original so well because this is the movie that got Mr. Jackson into making movies. He saw it as a kid and fell in love. He waited to make his version until after Lord of the Rings trilogy because he wanted to have more than enough money in his bank account to do the movie right - not have to stint on getting the right actors, effects, etc. For him, this movie was a tribute to the original movie and the people who made it - a real labor of love. And it shows - well acted and the effects are great! I don't think it's better than the original, but certainly as good.

I think Frank Langella's portrayal of Dracula in the '70s was uber-creepy. It was the first time that the sexual aspects of the story were portrayed, at least in this country. I haven't seen that one in a long time, so I don't know how well it has withstood the test of time. The only re-make of Frankenstein I enjoyed was Young Frankenstein, which was another tribute to the original, just done in Mel Brooks' unique style.

I think one reason most re-makes stink is that there is some kind of magic that happens when all the pieces fall together. Take Casablanca. The cast wasn't who the director origianlly wanted. I don't remember who the actress was to be, but Ronald Regan was slated to be the lead instead of Bogey. Regan was a very good actor, but I doubt the movie would have been the same without the edge that Bogart brought to it. There were other things going on with this movie as well, sets, locations, etc. that when everything came together - magic. If you can't recreate that, you can't make a good re-make. One last thing - I thought that in Xmen II, Huge Jackman had a little Clint-thing going in a few scenes. Him as Harry Callahan I could almost believe...
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#33 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

I just saw the Halloween 2 remake. It was a good movie but I think I like the original one better. This one just didn't have the creepy feeling that the original has.

Rob Zombie said he was trying to humanize Michael Myers. I think his choice on that went against the feel of the original. The key to a good monster/slasher flick is to limit the exposure of the monster/slasher to key moments in the film. It adds to the "creepy" factor.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#34 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:34 PM

Another remake I just found out about today. Next year they are putting out CHILD'S PLAY. I one thing that might pull that off is the fact that they have the same guy doing Chucky's voice like in the original movies.
and on Facebook
Posted Image https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art-of-Jim-Demick/261669903877527

Posted ImagePosted Image

#35 Willow

Willow

A sweet kindhearted person, who would dish dirt on her?

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:44 AM

Has anyone listed The Blob yeah, they're remaking it.

Rob Zombie Remakes The Blob
Either write things worth reading, Or do things worth the writing. Posted Image

#36 freyjasdottir

freyjasdottir

Don't follow this leader

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,429 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:59 AM

Willow,

You just made my son's day. He loves watching versions of the blob.
Posted Image Myspace "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." Albert Einstein Posted Image Posted Image I've been hit by mrsspookypants

#37 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

Has anyone listed The Blob yeah, they're remaking it.

Rob Zombie Remakes The Blob

Another threemake!!!
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

#38 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

Another one...The Wolfman. I still love the classic but I am interested in seeing this remake.
and on Facebook

Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 Willow

Willow

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

Rob Zombie said he was trying to humanize Michael Myers. I think his choice on that went against the feel of the original. The key to a good monster/slasher flick is to limit the exposure of the monster/slasher to key moments in the film. It adds to the "creepy" factor.

I fully agree, it wasnt nearly as scary as the original though the concept of the story was good. It might just be me but I dont even find the mask they used for Michael as creepy as the original.

Willow,

You just made my son's day. He loves watching versions of the blob.

I have to admit i've never seen the original blob movie but now curiosity is going to make me want to go look a copy up...also wonder if there is a version in 3D, always thought that would be a good movie to do in 3D.

I cant wait to see The Wolfman remake, wonderful choice in casting Benicio Del Toro in the Lon Chaney role.

#40 Redhead

Redhead

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Interests:Needlework, including counted cross stitch and knitting, reading, dogs, triking (trikes are three wheeled motorcycled if you didn't know) and flower gardening. That is besides the paranormal...

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:03 PM

Willow, you have to check out the original Blob movie! I'm not a hundred percent certain but I think it might be Steve McQueen's first starring role. It's a real hoot, and I bet it's out on dvd by now. There were a lot of sequels to it in the '60s, real drive-in fare.

I'm surprised no one has attempted a remake of Rosemary's Baby. I saw that in the drive in as a kid and it scared the dickens out of me. Any time I see Ruth Gordon, I still get the willies...she was creepy in that show.
"Never wrestle with a pig. All you get is dirty and the pig has all the fun." ~ Anon.

#41 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:42 AM

I like the Blob remake from the late 80's. I thought they did a good job on that one for the time.
and on Facebook

Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 Willow

Willow

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:47 AM

Willow, you have to check out the original Blob movie! I'm not a hundred percent certain but I think it might be Steve McQueen's first starring role. It's a real hoot, and I bet it's out on dvd by now. There were a lot of sequels to it in the '60s, real drive-in fare.

I'm surprised no one has attempted a remake of Rosemary's Baby. I saw that in the drive in as a kid and it scared the dickens out of me. Any time I see Ruth Gordon, I still get the willies...she was creepy in that show.

I definitely will seek out and watch the whole movie. I looked it up on youtube and found the dramatic preview for the film, it was the funniest thing ive ever seen!

They indeed are remaking or atleast talking about remaking Rosemary's Baby to the disdain of fans.

Some others, dont know if they've already been listed or not...

The Birds
The Karate Kid
Fame
They Live
Arthur
Romancing The Stone
Conan
Meatballs
The Thing
Poltergeist

#43 Axman

Axman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:04 PM

I really wish they wouldn't mess with the Hitchcock movies. Hitchcock was a genius in his presentations. I remember watching "The Birds" when I was bout 10 years old, I had nightmares for several days.

#44 Frogbat

Frogbat

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:33 PM

The Blob!!!! Love the blob! Gotta love anything you can beat with an ice skating rink! What's weird is that two days ago I picked up Beware the Blob! (one of the sequels) on DVD at a used movie place. I am soooo looking forward to The Wolfman, just because it was my favorite movie as a kid. Always had to see it when it was shown on tv. Hopefully, they'll do it right.
As for Halloween II. After the first remake I'm not even bothering with it. Someone needs to stop that man from making movies.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.Study hard. Be evil.Posted Image

#45 kats_god

kats_god

Has a problem with gas?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:19 AM

The Blob!!!! Love the blob! Gotta love anything you can beat with an ice skating rink! What's weird is that two days ago I picked up Beware the Blob! (one of the sequels) on DVD at a used movie place. I am soooo looking forward to The Wolfman, just because it was my favorite movie as a kid. Always had to see it when it was shown on tv. Hopefully, they'll do it right.
As for Halloween II. After the first remake I'm not even bothering with it. Someone needs to stop that man from making movies.

The Wolfman has always been one of my favorites too. I just hope they keep the basic story the same.
and on Facebook

Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users