Things that go Beep in the Night

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

Are we the only two old guys here? :P
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#32 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

Naaahhh.... I probably got you bpth beat!

And I finally got to watch those new guys (Everyday Paranormal) with all the equipment on TV. I wasn't impressed either, a lot of flash to do the same old stuff every other ghost hunter has done.

I will say they put some effort into the methodology, but a lot of the flash was just for the viewers. I mean, come on, a picture of the building with an electronic grid placed over it? What does all that graphic represent? What data does it provide to enhance the investigation. And they also failed my test when it comes to EVPs. With all their money invested, you'd think they'd at least use some highend audio recording equipment.

#33 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the update gentlemen, they have two shows on this week, surely I can catch one entire episode. There is always a slim chance that they may calm down as the show gets an audience and get some wardrobe advice.

Greg

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#34 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:17 AM

Boy howdy, was I wrong about that. Caught the show, and that pretty well describes it. PT Barnum would have been proud. Have never seen as much pseudo science mumbo jumbo packed into 42 min as this show. Loved the Tesla Coil, could just see them ol' haunts chowing down on all that energy. Would love to have half their budget tho, buy that land by the lake and build my cabin, or maybe that houseboat.

Just another opportunity lost and gone to waste.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#35 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

Has anyone put one of those allegedly haunted objects thru a battery of testing? Would seem to me that these things supposedly have a lot of the attributes of a haunted locaton but are portable. One of these things could be totally isolated, and placed under lab conditions without the troubles that come from working a piece of real estate, including time restraints.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#36 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:14 AM

Greg, it's been done on several occassions, and to the best of my knowledge has never resulted in any positive attributes. The object simply sits there or responds to all tests as expected. No fields or other unusual characteristics.

#37 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:41 AM

Thank you Sir, had a feeling this would be the case. Begining to wonder how much of this field is purely wishful thinking and overactive imagination, and how much of the 'activity' is left to even investigate.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#38 OMPRDave

OMPRDave

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, hunting, camping, history, photography, poetry/writing, and last but not least, paranormal investigation

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

I love having case study locations to work in - I can take my time and figure out the absolute best approach to doing what it is I need to do, and figure out how to use the environment in the control to the best of my ability. One residential case I work on gives me the luxury of having the entire house to myself when the family goes on vacation, and the ability to have that much control and knowledge of who, what, when and where in that location has made learning how to properly address all factors invaluable.

I wonder how these "professionals" keep strict controls with camera people, multiple investigators, property owners, and a drummer there? :P
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

#39 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:30 PM

Dave, I don't think they ever bother with details like that for the show, too tedious to edit and no production value. When these fellas are actually on an investigation, this might be different. And a lot of the neighborhood wannabes have never heard of scientific controls, or even have an idea what they are looking for.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#40 Oniix

Oniix

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:41 PM

I never could stand all the electronic devices. I was close to being sucked in by their candy-like rad flashing lights... thank goodness I never walked into the light so to speak.

I found people just wanting to have this device that automagically pointed in a direction for them.

I do hope to some point, the fad will fad away.

#41 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 02:58 AM

Not sure how things operate in the Kingdom of Snark, but it seems here in Mundania, ppl are addicted to easy answers and flashy gimmicks. I don't think they even realize how many hours of preperation goes into a real investigation before the on button gets pressed of any of the neat toys. Or that a lot of thinking goes into where and when to use those toys.

Bottom line tho, I can't see this fad fading away, just bigger and flashier ones making the scene. But I do see the spiritual side of this getting their act together to reflect the 21st century. So maybe the two sides can finally find some common ground.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#42 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:58 AM

I don't really see the sides coming together until the spiritual side actually puts itself under the microscope so to speak and allows the scientific side to study WHY their side claims to work. Simply saying "I feel the answer is..." doesn't cut it.

If there is feeling, the next scientific question should be, "What quantitative factor led you to that feeling?" And that is when the sides will meet on common ground. There will be some scientific explanation for why the spiritual side works, and when that happens the arguments will evaporate.

#43 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

This finding of common ground is not going to happen any time soon. Aside from the acceptance of scrutiny, advances in the regular disciplines of psychology and behaviorism need to be incorporated, if just for the protocol it would bring to the field.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#44 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:54 PM

Working together is something that does need to happen....

Personally, I don't work from "feelings" I work from actual visuals and or voice thoughts from the spirit that run thru my head. I would love to do something to actually prove to the scientific world that psychics and or mediums can play a BIG part in an investigation.

You saw my pictures, I also have an evp that is clear enough for people to hear. This was part of my speaking to this spirit, telling the investigator with me what they were saying and they chimed in. The spirit I was speaking to and picking up visuals from, spoke exactly what I had been telling the investigator at that same moment.
The picture I speak of is the "Not Your Typical Orb", which is posted here. These 2 pictures, taken within about a min of each other, show two different ceilings. The orb in question appears 2 times. Not an easy thing to duplicate. But the fact of this was my daughter (who is a medium also) knew what was taking place above her and took the 2 shots.
I have another one from Gettysburg. Knowing my other daughter was speaking to someone, as it seemed at the time, I took a shot. I also took a comparison shot from the other direction for good measure. I got home to discover I was correct and caught an apparition. (I too spoke with this spirit soldier when I reached the spot where my daughter was, I even cried for about 10 mins)

I do know there are a lot of "fakes" out there. But I really would like to take this farther and see what we can do to make the two work. Nothing out there has been concidered concrete evidence as of yet. All the gadgets don't lead anyone to believe that they truly got anything of any sort of real proof as of yet. I really think its time for some well thought out ways to work the two side together and see where we go...

Les
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#45 Axman

Axman

Chainsaws are better......

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts
  • Interests:Ghost hunting of course! Motorcycles is a big interest of mine. I also am a guitar player (hence my username) but I haven't practiced much over the last year or two. I also enjoy spending time with my wife and family when possible.

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

I like to see a group who uses a sensitive or medium but does not rely entirely on them.
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified? --BeetlejuiceI'm the ghost with the most, babe.--BeetlejuiceWe've come for your daughter Chuck--Beetlejuice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users