use of holy water

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mighty oz

mighty oz

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:54 PM

i was thinking would the use of holy water during an investigation be a good idea..i am invited to the infamous godlfield hotel in golfield nv.

#2 greg_dragonlvr

greg_dragonlvr

Villager

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:Camping, wilderness adventures, ancient engineering, modern physics and electronics, martial arts and native cultures.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

Can't help, gotta ask--why?

But seriously, what is the reasoning behind the use of holy water in your investigation? Having your head screwed on tight and the imagination tightly under wraps will do far more than the belief that ceremonial water used in religious rites would have any effect on a potential haunt.

Squirting water of any flavor does little more to a spook than it would if you would squirt the random person walking down the sidewalk. Well, the fella on the street would get wet and probably annoyed.

Just keep your self centered and you eyes and ears open, and have a good investigation. Your brain is your best tool and not all the hollywood props in the world will give you a better experience.

Can't Fall Off the Floor

#3 babalon1919

babalon1919

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

my question is also "why?"

if it is to give you confidence and courage, then you must realize that they both come from WITHIN you.
things like holy water - which is just salt water, btw, albeit blessed salted water - are just instruments used to access what is within you already
when you know where the forces originate, then you no longer need the instruments.
and if you don't need instruments to access these things, they will be available to you 24/7 forever.
also, if it is with a mind toward discovering truth, then remember that truth is always available to you just by seeking it with sincerity and positive intentions.

the post above me gives good advice:

Just keep your self centered and you eyes and ears open, and have a good investigation. Your brain is your best tool and not all the hollywood props in the world will give you a better experience.

paranormal investigations should be completely scientific in their process and while i personally believe faith and science are two sides of the same coin, i also feel that they have their useful places in life standing on their own.

science is method for proving a theory
it deals only in results - repeated results in a controlled setting

so really, there isn't any viable place in a scientific investigation for objects of faith, such as holy water, that aren't a normal part of you on a daily basis (such as wearing a medallion or other religious pendant).
in other words, if you don't carry holy water around with you on your everyday business, there's no reason to take it with you to the investigation.
Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. [Kahlil Gibran]

#4 leslie_dragonlvr

leslie_dragonlvr

Village Elder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying life, again.<br />Anything paranormal, mostly spiritography and spirit communication.<br />The wilderness, traveling, historical places and a beach.<br />All that involves my heart and soul.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:59 PM

I agree with the last two posters here on this one.
There is no "real" reason to use "holy water" on a paranormal investigation. I have never even seen TAPS do something as silly. Sorry, I don't mean to sound offensive towards anyone's religious beliefs, but in all honesty, this has no scientific effects of working on spirits. Most is due to one's own beliefs and thats it.
What Greg had to say is the right way to look at doing things on an investigation. People get a bit too carried away with being scared out there....
Greg - You and no other - Forever and Always! Gv ge yu!

#5 duncan36

duncan36

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:20 PM

I agree with the last two posters here on this one.
There is no "real" reason to use "holy water" on a paranormal investigation. I have never even seen TAPS do something as silly. Sorry, I don't mean to sound offensive towards anyone's religious beliefs, but in all honesty, this has no scientific effects of working on spirits. Most is due to one's own beliefs and thats it.
What Greg had to say is the right way to look at doing things on an investigation. People get a bit too carried away with being scared out there....

Science will prove the validity of things like holy water sooner or later. Its proven that things like plants show negative responses when you say bad things about them. And respond in a different manner when you say nice things about them. So why not water? If you spend say 30 minutes tapping into postive religious/metaphyiscal energy and imparting that into water that can imbue the water with charged positive energy.

If the OP is wondering if they should bring some holy water should things get hairy and they want to pull the plug. Then I say why not!

#6 CaveRat2

CaveRat2

Village Elder

• Town Council
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Serious Research and separating the truth from the hype in the paranormal field today.

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

If it makes YOU feel better then use it. But note it is not the water itself, rather simply YOUR belief or disbelief that controls its effectiveness. You could just as effectively use milk, root beer, or anything else if you believe it to be effective.

But I would have to ask why an investigator would feel a need for anything like that? If you are that afraid of what might be out there then I would reconsider going in the first place.

#7 bbabin5

bbabin5

Junior Villager

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

i was thinking would the use of holy water during an investigation be a good idea..i am invited to the infamous godlfield hotel in golfield nv.

Awesome place. Thats a dream of mine to investigate that place. I wouldn't use holy water but it would not hurt anything. You might be better with wearing a hard hat like in a manufactoring plant i heard objects fly at that place.
Brett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users